cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is the 2015 CHEVY SILVERADO 3500HD a good tow rig

brucethervcat
Explorer
Explorer
i have a heartland Landmark 365 Charleston and now i need a tow rig. I have been looking at the new Chevy and i think it might be the truck for me. Am i right or is this a bad truck

my trailers GVWR is 18,000 lbs
24 REPLIES 24

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Will it handle the trailer?????? Read the tow specs for the truck. You are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle.

Chevy Tow Specs
HR

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my 3rd truck, all 3 Silverados, all 3 were 3500. First was a gasser, next 2 were diesel. My 2014 now has 11,000 miles and so far not a hint of problems.

The biggest reason we sold the first 2 trucks was because, even though the drive train, transmission, and engine were still great, the body was failing. I wasn't real happy with my first gasser, but it did the job. When we had a repair once, we decided to trade. Got a used diesel. Lasted for quite a while, but the body was failing. Fiberglass fat fenders were cracking out so bad, and at $4,000 to replace one side, that just wasn't going to happen. It also had a cracked windshield, and was forming rust on the bottom of the doors. When enquiring about repainting and fixing, the fiberglass was just too costly and the metal was eaten through on the inside of the doors and the repair shop did not want to fix just to have it continue rusting through again in a few weeks after a large expense. So we traded again.

At least here in Indiana, a 10 year life expectancy is about it for a new truck, simply because of the winter ice-salt factor. But the rest of the vehicle is great!

No problems with my 2014 Silverado (duly, diesel). Tows wonderful! And that integrated brake controller is simply amazingly smooth!

I can't attest for the other 2 brands, I've never owned them. But his is still one happy GM owner here, in spite of the rust!

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the Big 3 one ton dual rear wheel diesel trucks will handle a Landmark. Do not settle for single rear wheels on such a heavy fifth wheel.

Just get out there and drive them all. See which dealer's willing to compete for your business with a fair price. And see which dealership you're the most comfortable with.

The cream rises to the top.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 3500 SRW Duramax and traded it for a 2013 3500 DRW. Prior I had a 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins.
I have had ZERO problems with either Duramax. I'm very happy with it.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/comparison/
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
we tow our trailer (19,000 # GVWR) with a 2012 Chev D/A DRW CC. The truck handles the trailer easily and all weights are within specs. Bed height is 56 -57" at the rear when unloaded (except for hitch) and goes down 1.5 - 1.75" when hooked to the trailer so the truck rides very level as does the trailer. Our pin weight is 3300-3500# depending on loading (water, etc.) Before this rig we towed with a 2007 Chev D/A DRW CC and a trailer with a 14000# GVWR. Have never had a problem with either truck. To us it is comfortable, easy to drive and has been a very reliable tow vehicle.

Durango1500
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned all three, and will buy only GM products from now own. My 06 cummins rattled/squeaked/ and random interior parts would fall off at any given time. Trans went out at 155k. Had a 05 F350 with a 6.uh oh and about went bankrupt trying to keep that piece on the road. Both seats were worn out and uncomfortable in my opinion at 100k. I went the gas route with my most recent purchase and this new silverado is the best I've ever had, very smooth/quiet/and comfortable.

jf831024
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the Chevy. It's funny because I find that my Chevy is much more comfortable than the other two. I did have a Dodge and the motor was great just the ride was very hard.
I've pulled my rig from Lousiana to Cali., from Louisiana to Nebraska and all stops in between and it has preformed great. My only complaint is the fuel tank size in my 09.
But like the others have said its preference, It's what you like.
2011 Fuzion Touring Edition 3
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax Diesel

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Love my 2015 Silverado. Engine is bullet proof imo.
My 2008 is just as good. Only complaint I have is mileage due to the exhaust recycle. I traded a Dodge dually for it. Dodge had a decent motor, although noisey. Seats were hard and flat. I drive the duallys a lot so they need to be comfortable.
My father tried a 2012 Ford and traded after one year. Ride and seats were rock hard. Mom couldn't handle the rough ride. It was new and traded for a used duramax and couldn't be happier.
Pick whatever you like and have the most knowledge of.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Love my '08 GMC 3500. Zero issues in 124000 miles. Agree the seats in a Ram are more comfortable. Disagree with engine quality. Ford has had two engines with more problems 6.0 and the 6.4. Any vehicle can be a lemon that what the warranty is for. Drive all three and whatever feels the most comfortable is the one to go with.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
As a person who has owned all of the big 3 I am going to take a different tack on answering your question as you have not provided extensive information.

When it comes to diesels Dodge has the most bulletproof system, then Ford and then GM. GM is making headway, but has not got all the quirks worked out yet. As for gasoline powered vehicles there is no one vehicle that stands out above the rest. Each has its strong performers and its lemons.

Really what it is going to boil down to is what pleases you. For example, I have found that the seats in GM vehicles for the past 20 years are very uncomfortable to sit on so I stay away from GM for that reason and go with Dodge or Ford.

There are your diehards like my BIL who will only own a Dodge and my son who will only own a Ford. Me? I drive each every time I go looking and usually end up with the same conclusion Dodge or Ford for comfort reasons and purchase from which ever dealership gives me the biggest discount on the vehicle I desire. And I will shop every dealership in a 100 mile direction, and I have had prices vary as high as $1500 on the same truck (Ford to Ford & Dodge to Dodge)
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity