cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping water hot

TCBaxter
Explorer
Explorer
My Atwood water heater will heat the water but not hot as expected and then will not maintain the warmer temp.What should I be looking for to correct?
11 REPLIES 11

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
jnharley wrote:
Our water heater does not produce great hot water either for me. I rarely turn on any cold water when showering. My spouse thinks I am crazy as he thinks the water is way too hot. Guess it is just individual tolerance levels.

NuWa still using Atwood then yours will have only one set of t-stats....under foam cover in outside compartment. 140*F/180*F

Unless it is an XT model...that one uses a mixing valve on backside of WH tank.....normal t-stat set for 160*F then cold water is mixed inside mixing valve for an output of 130*F.

Mixing valves have a tendency to clog and output temps can be luke warm

X2 on checking if you have an XT model of Atwood. If yes, it's very possible,if not likely that you have a plugged mixing valve. Easy to replace if needed. We had the same problem at the beginning of the season last year. Made me crazy until I figured it out.

Good luck!
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim-Linda wrote:
What you probably removed was the TS for the gas system. You do realize that with nothing to control the temp, its possible to overheat the tank and cause the valve on upper part of tank to blow off. Your original problem could be caused by goop in the tank(not being flushed), burner adjustment or other issues.

Jim

Don't think they did away with t-stats ......just replaced bad one

kennethwooster wrote:
He sold me the part, and told me which one I needed to take off. I did as directed, and could not believe the difference.

One simple change
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jnharley wrote:
Ours is a Suburban.

Suburban uses 2 sets of t-stats
One set for electric 120VAC----130*F/170*F
One set for propane 12VDC------130*F/170*F

They are in outside compartment under rubber cover "Push To Reset"
Top t-stat is Hi Temp and has a reset button (trips if temp goes high)
Left side is for electric (black wires)
Right side is for propane (red wires)

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you probably removed was the TS for the gas system. You do realize that with nothing to control the temp, its possible to overheat the tank and cause the valve on upper part of tank to blow off. Your original problem could be caused by goop in the tank(not being flushed), burner adjustment or other issues.

Jim

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Suburban 12 gallon heater that was suppose to be quick recovering and very hot. Ours was not. Sort of what you describe. I have a repair guy in Amarillo that is the best. Was talking to him, and he describes a couple of black round things on the front of the heater. Since I don't know exactly exactly what they are called, but he did. I think one was a thermostat. He sold me the part, and told me which one I needed to take off. I did as directed, and could not believe the difference. I had told the dealer when I bought the Cameo that the hot water heater was not as told it would be. So bad heat for about 3 years. One simple change and it works as described. Wish I could tell you what I changed, but I do know when you look at the heater it was the RH one, flat against heater.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a Suburban.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jnharley wrote:
Our water heater does not produce great hot water either for me. I rarely turn on any cold water when showering. My spouse thinks I am crazy as he thinks the water is way too hot. Guess it is just individual tolerance levels.

NuWa still using Atwood then yours will have only one set of t-stats....under foam cover in outside compartment. 140*F/180*F

Unless it is an XT model...that one uses a mixing valve on backside of WH tank.....normal t-stat set for 160*F then cold water is mixed inside mixing valve for an output of 130*F.

Mixing valves have a tendency to clog and output temps can be luke warm

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this on your 2003 Pace Arrow?

If propane only then just one set of t-stats........
Normal temp (140*F) and an ECO (Energy Cut Off----Hi Temp 180*F)
If electric/propane unit your year model will have 2 sets of t-stats and electric set would be on backside of tank by element. Same temp settings.

Water not hot enough is usually cold water mixing with hot due to bypass valve being open or leaking thru.

T-stats not being held tight against tank wall usually results in VERY hot temp because t-stat is NOT sensing tank temp but cooler air temp so heating cycles last longer.

Might also check that outside shower (if applicable) is completely turned off via hot/cold handles vs shutoff on shower handle. Cold/hot mix inside faucet.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Are you heating with electric, or propane? Not that it matters, but propane will make it hotter, and will heat the water faster from what I understand....I normally use electric and have a 12 gallon hot water heater and it's just the wife and I, so we never run out of hot water...There is no thermostat that I'm aware of either..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check to insure that both the ECO and thermostat are tight against the tank.
If yes, one of them could be failing. May want to pick up a set.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker