cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kodiak Disc Brakes with 2013 Silverado 3500HD

TDiddy51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Silverado 3500HD Duramax and am picking up a new 5th wheel with the Kodiak Disc brake package. Will I need an acuator box or am I fine with the standard GM Brake Controller on the 2013 3500HD?
6 REPLIES 6

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I remember someone saying they wired in an old brake magnet to put enough load on one of those oem controllers to make it work. I would tape a steel plate to it. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

AniJet
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the brake actuator. Kodiak is usually the brand name of the brake components at the wheels. The most common actuator is a Carlisle HydraStar. I think you will find the later versions are compatible with the EBC of the GM trucks. I replaced the actuator on out 5th wheel and tow it with a 2012 GMC with no "fooler" box. Check your actuator brand and model.

Carlisle Actuator

Look down the page to the application table.
07 Mobile Suites 36TK3 Demco GlideRide PIn Box
12 3500HD D/A CC 4X4 AirSafe Hitch

TDiddy51
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank you folks very much for the quick reply. Now I have to take action before Sunday when we head for Lake Okeechobee!!!

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
I took my 1 year old P3 from my 2004 truck and put it in my 2014 just in the last month. All wiring is under dash except you need to run a separate brake wire from the aftermarket controller to the 7 pin plug. If you don't already have a controller then the interface box is the way to go. Since my controller was so new and worked perfectly, I had the don't mess with success feeling.

I contacted Tekonsha and they e-mailed me TB0008 which showed me the correct wires under the dash and the correct steps to separate the IBC to prevent codes from flashing up on the driver information display.
Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, with GMs you need interface box to fake out the IBC into thinking it's talking to standard electric brakes. Had one with our '05 and now with the '11.
You might check with your dealer of the RV MFR, some such as Redwood include the interface box as part of the Disk Brake package.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
GM factory brake controllers will not work with disc brakes pumps without one of the following adapters that has to be wired into the trailer brake pump wiring. Phillip

http://www.etrailer.com/comparison.aspx?pc=HBA-CAM&pc2=T4846000
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL