cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

leaf spring shackles

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
Have learned something on every trip. On my last trip I discovered I had 4 broken shackle straps. The mobile mechanic said this fairly common. It is caused by constant bouncing and turning. Mine is a triple axle, but he said it happens to tandem also. Something else to add to check list.
13 REPLIES 13

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Ozlander wrote:
Gets it off of the lot.
All the dealer and mfg. care about.

Sad but true...
And the manufactures eye additional money to be made by selling replacement parts.

My dealer usually asks: "Do you want O.E.M. replacement parts or do you want new parts that are made to last?" :@

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
Gets it off of the lot.

Sad but true...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
bkick wrote:
As egg shaped as the shackles are I would check the eyes of the springs real close. Mine were so worn that I replaced all four.

Those are nothing compared to others I have seen ! Many are completely worn through! The shackle kits come with replacement bronze bushings, all fit snugly.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Gets it off of the lot.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally if I bought a trailer that I intended to keep for several years I'd go through and install the EZ-Flex kit with wet bolts. The way the stock suspension is set up there is no way to keep the shackles from wearing out and getting egg shaped. It's a very poor design, especially for heavy trailers/5th wheels.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bkick
Explorer
Explorer
As egg shaped as the shackles are I would check the eyes of the springs real close. Mine were so worn that I replaced all four.
Bkick

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
tegu69 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
billkaufmann wrote:
Have learned something on every trip. On my last trip I discovered I had 4 broken shackle straps. The mobile mechanic said this fairly common. It is caused by constant bouncing and turning. Mine is a triple axle, but he said it happens to tandem also. Something else to add to check list.

This is what you need only for triple axle, I didn't take the time to search on that.

heavy Duty Shackles

Is that an add on piece to the hanger to increase trailer height?

It is a Correct Track kit, used to raise 5er 2" to level and future fix to any alignment issue.

I will add that this is a picture of the stock shackles that came off my rig.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
billkaufmann wrote:

This is what you need only for triple axle, I didn't take the time to search on that.

heavy Duty Shackles

Is that an add on piece to the hanger to increase trailer height?

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same as N-trouble. You can also buy just the heavy duty 1/2 thick shackles with wet bolts.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
N-Trouble wrote:
Factory shackles on most rigs are weak and use **** bushings. Best thing I did to my trailer was add Dexter EZ-Flex equalizers with their HD shackle and wet bolt kit.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Dexter+Ez+flex&furl=-vw-1-pg-Trailer_Suspension

Yes, don't forget the wet bolts.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Factory shackles on most rigs are weak and use **** bushings. Best thing I did to my trailer was add Dexter EZ-Flex equalizers with their HD shackle and wet bolt kit.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Dexter+Ez+flex&furl=-vw-1-pg-Trailer_Suspension
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
billkaufmann wrote:

heavy Duty Shackles