cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaking AC vent.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
So I have been using my 5er fas a place to sleep for the past few months while we have some major overtime at work. Saves me the 45 minute drive home after working 16-18 hrs. On Sunday I came home to it and the master bed was soaked.
Went searching around and located the place where water got in. It came in through the AC vent right above the bed.
I checked the roof and it appears everything ok up there but short of pulling off the whole AC I couldn't see anything. I did take the top of the shroud off but it didn't help.
So I cleaned it all out with my air hose but nothing came out as of dirt or debris.
Now we had another rain storm during the night and woke up to water steadily dropping on me. Put a pan there just to collect it but called dealer and they said drop off next week. Guess they don't realize " hey it's raining in my brand new trailer."

Anyone have some ideas to fix it without waiting. I don't have a tarp to cover it. I may just go buy a RV cover.

It's a 2017 Sierra 377FLIK (front living room). No other leaks anywhere else'.

Tried loading photos but photo bucket isn't working
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system
10 REPLIES 10

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't get a very good picture of the whole room but here is the bedroom.
I can only access the ac from the room but I imagine it's the same with the bolts.
Heading to it once my kids are on the bus this morning.
Crappy part is it's already raining and by the time I get to it the weather says it will be raining buckets.

Yay

It's the rear AC

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans

Explorer II
Explorer II
Been there. Remove the inside AC cover and look for 4 long bolts like this. Yours may look different but they are all about the same.

Give each bolt one 360 degree turn right to tighten. Look at the gray gasket if you can see it (mine was gray) as you tighten to see if you can detect the gasket compressing. If you do not feel any resistance tighten them a little more but do not over tighten. If you can physically see the gasket compressing do not tighten any more.

Wait for rain or use a water hose to wet well around the roof AC unit. If it still leaks turn them 360 degrees again. If this again fails replace your seal.

Mine failed after 6 years and I had to replace the seal. Easy two person job.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

dawzie
Explorer
Explorer
On my brand new Montana, the front mounting bolts where stripped out. Had to remove ac unit, clean roof, vacuum out debris in return air ducts from factory, drill new holes in metal cross bar for new screws would catch a beam in the ceiling. All is good now.

My Keystone built fiver must have been built on hangover Monday with all we have found wrong. The stealership was in no rush to help either.

My unit is going back in for the third time to fix the fridge.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I had this issue myself and when I called the dealer to set an appointment to take it in they said sure bring it in but if you want to, its an easy fix you can do yourself. Apparently, the front A/C gets installed at the factory and the 4 bolts that hold it down loosen somewhat during the initial delivery travel to your dealer. I climbed on the roof, pulled the shroud, tightened the 4 bolts a turn or two and its never leaked since.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
Hm. Guess I'll try those options before dragging it back to the dealer. Would be a lot easier.
And thanks for the link as well.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote this a long time ago- still valid though-
http://bryantrv.com/roofacleaks.html
-- Chris Bryant

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
harold1946 wrote:
More than likely the bolts are loose which secure the AC in place. Remove the inner shroud and tighten the four bolts. They should be 56 to 60 inch pounds of torque.

This is the likely issue. Take note... inch lbs!! I would just check to see that the 4 bolts are snugged about the same. The gasket should not be crushed tightly.

Jerry

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
AC cover just stops rain from entering the AC.
If the leak is between the AC gasket and the roof its still going to leak.

Try a cover but keep a bucket handy.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
More than likely the bolts are loose which secure the AC in place. Remove the inner shroud and tighten the four bolts. They should be 56 to 60 inch pounds of torque.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Use the picture upload app referenced in the Tech support section. It works very well.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.