cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leaving things in your ty

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
So, its been a while since we owned a trailer. And when we did we didn't live in Louisiana.

So, what is NOT ok to leave during the summer? Keep in mind it gets HOT down here. Can get in the low 100's.

Is it ok to leave toothpaste?
Hair supplies?
Boxed and canned goods?

Thats all I can think of right now.
20 REPLIES 20

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
Wow I'm feeling real lucky to live in CA I keep mine fully stocked with fuel,food and water in case of a disaster.

same here
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
Wow I'm feeling real lucky to live in CA I keep mine fully stocked with fuel,food and water in case of a disaster.

Yup. When I lived in Wisconsin I had mine all set up in case of a tornado. Now in Florida my hurricane disaster kit is in tubs set in side the air conditioned garage waiting to go into MH if needed.

A few added inconveniences but still worth not shoveling snow.:W

(air conditioned garage) Really that's awesome!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks everyone!

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
We leave most things. I don't keep sugar or canned foods in it anyway. Our TH is in a fully enclosed storage unit so its not in direct heat. Keep fridge off and doors open.
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:

Yup. When I lived in Wisconsin I had mine all set up in case of a tornado. Now in Florida my hurricane disaster kit is in tubs set in side the air conditioned garage waiting to go into MH if needed.

A few added inconveniences but still worth not shoveling snow.:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Respectively disagree about storing canned foods in extreme heat.

A closed up vehicle in temps of 80 reaches 110 in minutes.
Same vehicle in southern average temps of 95 it reaches temps of well over 110 in seconds.

And contrary to what all of us are led to believe canned foods do NOT last forever! :W

http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/food-safety/preserving/storage/storing-canned-food/
snip-it:
....."To store canned food wisely, follow these guidelines:

Temperatures over 100 degrees Fahrenheit are harmful to canned foods.

....Store in a cool, clean, dry place where temperatures are below 85 degrees (between 50-70 degrees is good) but not freezing temperatures.
....Try not to keep canned foods more than one year.
....Use canned meats and seafood within 12 months.
....Use low-acid canned foods within 8-12 months."

Maybe you won't die from it or maybe you would, but why take the chance of harming your family and/or ruining your trip getting sick. Just saying.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Don't leave any type of food.
Not even bug spray.
Left a can in a drawer and it was a mess after the summer.
Ruined the paper in the bottom of the cabinet.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

dedmiston
We leave stuff in there all the time.

And no, we've NEVER had booze go bad. Some of the mixers got a little nasty, but they're cheap to replace.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I put a container in there to keep stuff in that I don't think would be good to leave in there. Like little propane bottles, fire starter, off. I have a tote in there for the house.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
We leave most stuff in there, canned good, etc.

And it gets kinda hot in So Cal 🙂
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
We leave canned and boxed food as well as bathroom supply's in the trailer all summer. First trip in the spring the trailer gets stocked with the stables and they stay in until removed before freezing weather. Heat isn't going to effect cans and boxed foods or tooth paste. Make it easy to go next time, add clothes, fridge stuff and needed food items then hit the road.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
x2 what rockhillmanor said..... if it's hot, things will melt, even if they're not meant to melt.

DH left his rig for 1 week (before we married). No a/c on, unusual heat wave hit the area. When we got back, a bottle of liquor had exploded!!!! Besides the liquor all down the cabinet, broken glass in the cabinet, he had ANTS everywhere!!!! And he lived 25 miles from the coast in Oregon!!! Can you imagine the heat in the southern states!!!!!!!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
So, its been a while since we owned a trailer. And when we did we didn't live in Louisiana.

So, what is NOT ok to leave during the summer? Keep in mind it gets HOT down here. Can get in the low 100's.

Is it ok to leave toothpaste?
Hair supplies?
Boxed and canned goods?

Thats all I can think of right now.

NO, NO and NO. Take EVERYTHING out. Especially all food stuffs canned boxed or not.

Trust me you can leave your clothes and linens if you want but that's about it. And even they will end up having a musty smell.

Even a tube of chapstick left behind in a hot RV in the southern states during summer turns into liquid and runs out within an hour.

Been there did that.