cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lights dimming and brightening in 5V

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
My 2010 Blue Ridge has an issue with the 12V lights. While sitting inside RV, lights will suddenly get a lot brighter.

Dimming of the lights is more subtil, seems the dimming of the light is very gradual.

Due to hurricane Harvey, we have been living in this RV full time for the last couple of months. Previously, the trailer was parked at the lake, with intermittent use.

DW & I cannot recall this being a long term issue. We bought this trailer new.

I had installed a new Progressive Industries converter & a new interstate battery a couple of years ago.

I am beginning to be concerned that we may have a short somewhere.

Thanks in advance for you help!
12 REPLIES 12

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
gat75 wrote:
Well, had time today to begin troubleshooting. With battery disconnected, I had exactly 13.6V coming out of the Progressive Dynamic converter, (per my fluke tester).

My interstate battery tested at 13.4V

Guess I must have a short somewhere...
Disconnect the battery and let it rest a day or two and see if it holds 12.65 volts. The PD converter will run the RV just fine with no battery.

If the trouble persists with no battery continue to monitor converter voltage and you might have a bad connection that is causing resistance. First check would be the ground bus and the main connection to the frame.

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing happening with my Cardinal. I replaced the converter and the problem was cured. That was about 3 year ago, no problems since.

When you check the converter output make sure that it is under load.

When you change the converter, get one that has a seperate battery charger that will not overcharge the battery.

If you are not a member of the Cardinal RV Club, you should join. There are lots of Cardinal/Blue Ridge owners on the site that are very knowledgeable about these rigs and are eager to help. The best part is it is free!
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I would check all of your battery cables/connectors for tightness between the panel and the battery (including grounds). I suspect a crummy connection, not a short. This would allow enough current through to charge the battery (you are connected all the time, so there's not a lot of current flowing normally), but not enough to support a load without dropping the voltage a bunch. Monitor the voltage at the battery terminals AND at the converter while the dimming and brightening is happening, I bet there's a difference.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
gat75 wrote:

I think that is a BAD guess.
Those readings seem perfectly normal to me.

You need to leave the meter connected.....so you can see what the voltage is doing when you notice the lights change.

IF....the converter output is changing from say 13.2 to 14.5, like maybe it should do under some normal circumstances, you should notice that in the brightness of the lights.

IF.....the battery voltage goes below 13.2, THEN you likely have a problem that needs to be investigated.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
How old are the batteries? If they are several years old take them in and get them load tested, it could be a bad cell.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
Well, had time today to begin troubleshooting. With battery disconnected, I had exactly 13.6V coming out of the Progressive Dynamic converter, (per my fluke tester).

My interstate battery tested at 13.4V

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
You should monitor the voltage to see what's it's doing. If it's switching between 14.4, 13.6 and 13.2V's, it's doing its job.

This is most likely the cause.

Changing out the bulbs to LED probably would make it less noticeable......and less frequent.

Probably nothing to actually worry about but it could be a sign that your batteries are getting weak or a connection needs tightening.

I have found those little plug-in battery voltage monitors to be an invaluable tool.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Removing the battery should cause it to stay in one mode. So that's a good test. If it's rhythmically going from bright to dim it's probably the converter.
It may also be that your PI is just going into another charge or desulfate mode. You should monitor the voltage to see what's it's doing. If it's switching between 14.4, 13.6 and 13.2V's, it's doing its job. When the converter drops the voltage to the next stage, the battery voltage itself slowly drops and so do the lights.
It also goes into the desulfate stage something like every 20 hours and acts kinda strange.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
take the battery out of the loop with your disconnect if it staightens up its the batt if it keeps doing it you have a bad converter or wrong one.

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Check the 12v system voltage with a meter. 13.6 volts?

Check the battery for excessive gassing and heat. Also check the water level.

Then disconnect the battery as the PD converter should run the RV just fine with no battery. What is the voltage now in the fuse panel?

Thanks for the tips, I plan to troubleshoot it tomorrow morning.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Check the 12v system voltage with a meter. 13.6 volts?

Check the battery for excessive gassing and heat. Also check the water level.

Then disconnect the battery as the PD converter should run the RV just fine with no battery. What is the voltage now in the fuse panel?

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We had that symptom when our converter was going out. Not enough umph to charge the batteries and keep all the other 12v running.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu