cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking At New 5th Wheels

craigandsue
Explorer
Explorer
Now that our boys are older, we are looking to get rid of the toyhauler and buy a more residential 5th wheel. We had a Cedar Creek bunkhouse when the kids were small and had very good luck and good memories. We are looking at Cedar Creek again but a few Grand Design Solitude models have caught our eye. We are not familiar with Grand Design and wonder about their quality. They have very nice features but is it just eye candy?
Craig, Sue, 2 boys
2013 F350 DRW Diesel, 2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH, 05 Alpenlite 1150 Santa Fe
13 REPLIES 13

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
That is all that counts that YOU are happy with it,They are nice looking 5er's but tell me how they are better than any other brand in their price range???..Again I have 2 buddies with them and I know them well and even they concede they are lacking in some area's to Heartland Big Horn, Montana Legacy, Cedar Creek Redwood Etc.. and I like their Solitudes and so do they but I wish they would not cheap out on a some things or I would have bought one myself (still a 10in Frame really???) and the cheapest TV and sound system in the Biz and no central vac or even a Ceiling fan, but they are nice looking:)
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my GD Solitude for over 2 1/2 years, and totally pleased with it. I haven't seen another 5th wheel I'd ever consider trading in on.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Redwood! It's not Lippert free, but it's a nice coach.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
2hams wrote:
We are very happy with our Grand Design Reflection. Most other owners I've met also love their rig. We purchased in 2013. GD service is outstanding. Check out the granddesignownersforum .com

Outstanding??..:?

See thread: - (Grand Design recalls) "Even the good manufacturers Mess Up"

Apparently not just Grand Design!..:(

~

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I know 2 people with Solitudes and they are pretty rigs But they cheap out on too many things as they have a 10in frame compared to 12in from most others , No nice molded rear cap,they have the "flatback" with a bumper like cheaper 5th's,REAL cheap TV's and sound systems(Furrion..YIKES!:() vs Sony or Samsung no ceiling fans,No central Vac system,cheaper Micro/convection, Trai- air roto-flex pin box vs the better Mor-Ryde pin Box, they use Equa-flex susp that is used on cheaper 5th's vs Mor-ryde LRE 4000,no whisper air A/c but you get the point,If I am spending that kind of money I want more Bang for the Buck...BUT the Company has good customer service,I'll give them that....Having said that they are still nice rigs and would not steer anybody from them and they are roomy with the 100in wide body but in the end IMO they rely more on looks than substance
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about Grand Design.

I do know about Cedar Creek.

The 36CKTS is a great 2 person unit.
It can sleep 2 extra if need be. (grand kids)

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
whistlebritches wrote:
I recommend you stay with Cedar Creek. They stand behind their products and every year have what they call the F.R.O.G. (Forest River Owners Group) rally in Goshen, IN. We just got back from one and they will fix up to five things regardless of how old your unit is. We have a 2005 37'RDQS (rear den, quad slide) and have had very good luck with it. They put on some new 4 step steps to replace the steeper 3 steps, a new power cord, a new handle on our antenna, new handle on our dump valve that broke, etc. I highly recommend them.

Well, you can't beat that.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

whistlebritches
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend you stay with Cedar Creek. They stand behind their products and every year have what they call the F.R.O.G. (Forest River Owners Group) rally in Goshen, IN. We just got back from one and they will fix up to five things regardless of how old your unit is. We have a 2005 37'RDQS (rear den, quad slide) and have had very good luck with it. They put on some new 4 step steps to replace the steeper 3 steps, a new power cord, a new handle on our antenna, new handle on our dump valve that broke, etc. I highly recommend them.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
For us it was down to Grand Design and Outdoors RV Manufacturing, they were the finalists based on customer service reviews. We chose the latter because they had the floor plan we liked the best.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
We are very happy with our Grand Design Reflection. Most other owners I've met also love their rig. We purchased in 2013. GD service is outstanding. Check out the granddesignownersforum .com
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my Grand Design Reflection in 2014. As far as I'm concerned, they have good quality. But their best feature is their customer service. If you ever have a problem, you can call their customer service line and talk to a real person who can usually handle your call or question in just one try.

As for the lack of shock absorbers? These units come with the Equa-Flex system which really reduces vibration and road induced damage. I have over 20,000 miles on mine now, and there is no issue with vibration or shock induced problems.

Equa-Flex System
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at Grand Sesign really hard recently before settling on our Arctic Fox. They have some nice features, but felt for the price point they left some important things off or went with lesser quality than I would have thought. We were loocking at their Reflections line. The biggy that kept us looking were no shocks. The factory rep stated they didn't need shocks due to its weight.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
I love my KZ ! Look at them for quality and warranty! Go up to Terry Vaughn's in spring!
Ask for Sean, my son bought one from him and I met a guy in Colorado who had one like my sons that he bought from Sean also!

Bruce