cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel.

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I currently tow a TT but am looking to get a fifth wheel. My questions are about "pin weight". My current TV is a 2004.5 Ram 2500 with the HO 5.9 Cummins rated to tow 13,050lbs. GCWR is 20,000lbs ( I found this on several tow guides), GVWR is 9,000lbs ( from label on door) and curb weight is 6727 lbs ( from same label on door) but weighed 7540 on scale( full tank of diesel, 140lb driver, cap on bed and tool box in bed) . My truck is a 4x4 with a 6' 3" bed.
With the above info I am trying to find out what will be my limiting factor when looking at fifth wheel campers. If I understand it correctly I should estimate 15-20% of the fifth wheel GVWR to be my pin weight, is that correct??Iif so then I only have 1490lbs available of pin weight? ( GVWR- Curb weight) is that correct? Educate me please
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B
20 REPLIES 20

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
There should be a sticker on your door frame that gives the max payload and subtract off anything added since it came from the factory.

Actual scale weights are better but if you want to start selectively ignoring the ratings, you can do whatever you like but live with the results...it may be nothing but it's on you.

Generally 5ers assume 20-25% of the trailer as pin weight.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
usmc616 wrote:
Hi all, I currently tow a TT but am looking to get a fifth wheel. My questions are about "pin weight". My current TV is a 2004.5 Ram 2500 with the HO 5.9 Cummins rated to tow 13,050lbs. GCWR is 20,000lbs ( I found this on several tow guides), GVWR is 9,000lbs ( from label on door) and curb weight is 6727 lbs ( from same label on door) but weighed 7540 on scale( full tank of diesel, 140lb driver, cap on bed and tool box in bed) . My truck is a 4x4 with a 6' 3" bed.
With the above info I am trying to find out what will be my limiting factor when looking at fifth wheel campers. If I understand it correctly I should estimate 15-20% of the fifth wheel GVWR to be my pin weight, is that correct??Iif so then I only have 1490lbs available of pin weight? ( GVWR- Curb weight) is that correct? Educate me please

Just some food for thought, before we upgraded our TV from a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD and NV4500 5 speed manual we towed a 12,550# 5er.
The 5er had a pin weight of 2,700# just under 22%. My 2500 had a GVWR of 8,800#, ready to camp with me DW and 35# Beagle, full fuel, hitch and in bed tool box weighed 7,800#. This put me 1,700# over GVWR, but still about 300# under the 6,084# rear axle, and well under tire rating.
The fact I was 1,700# over GVWR kept eating at me, so I upgraded to a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW, now have 1,300# of spare capacity.
The choice is yours.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is 2004.5 2WD dually with 8ft. bed and 3.73 rear end. My truck weighs 8,000 pounds with my wife and I plus a heavy hitch and a tri-fold bed cover. My gross combined is 21k#. I tow a 10k# to 10.5k# fifth wheel and the truck does very nicely. The engine could use some more grunt but for the most part is sufficient. The chassis does very well with no movement from the trailer. I could see going another ton on the trailer with no problems. I do have to monitor the transmission and switch between tow-haul and OD while towing. I added a PacBrake and would not tow six tons without it. Our engine runs hot and I monitor my exhaust gas temperatures. I find the engine will continue to pull when the EGTs are in the uncomfortable zone. I'm in a campground now, averaged 11.9 MPG on the way here, 65 MPH. Show some moderation with you trailer selection and you will like your truck's performance. I consider my pin weight to be on the light end and I am at 20%.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:
usmc616 wrote:

Many 3/4 ton owners ignore the GVWR of their truck and use the rear axle rating as their limiting value. If you where buying a truck to use for a fiver I'd say get a 1 ton SRW but because you've already got a truck I'll say ignore the GVWR and let your rear axle rating determine your maximum pin weight.

Stay within both the RAWR and =tire= ratings and you should be OK. Doesn't mean that you should ignore the combined weight, but it's not as critical, IMO.

As for pin weight, figure more like 20-25% of the GVW. If you can find owners of the same FWs you can ask them what their actual weights are.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
usmc616 wrote:

Many 3/4 ton owners ignore the GVWR of their truck and use the rear axle rating as their limiting value. If you where buying a truck to use for a fiver I'd say get a 1 ton SRW but because you've already got a truck I'll say ignore the GVWR and let your rear axle rating determine your maximum pin weight.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '03 2500 Quad cab 2wd Cummins NV5600 with a 13250 lb tow rating 3rd gen truck same as yours..

Dodge gives these year model tracks a 6000 RAWR. My 2wd trucks rear axles weighs 2860 lbs which leaves my truck with a 3140 lb in the bed payload. Your 4wd rear axle may weigh 100 or so more lbs so payload will be a bit less.

Best choice drop by the scales and weigh the trucks front and rear axles separately. That way you know exactly how much load the truck can safely carry/start and stop.

Just stay under the trucks RAWR. RAWR is the lessor of a wheel...tire.....rear suspension and the axle.
The rear axle is the same 11.5" AAM axle as the 3500 one ton trucks.
My truck comes with 17" tires and wheels.
Most 2500 Dodge trucks from that era have no upper overload spring pack. My truck sags with 1800 lbs of readi-mix bags over the rear axle so in my trucks case the rear spring pack is the weak link. I've found SuperSprings helps with the squat on this model truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides