cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP gas detector trouble

FelixNabisco83
Explorer
Explorer
Okay so I thought the smoke detector was going off so we took it off and took out the battery and we still heard beeping so I narrowed it down to the LP detector. We turned off both tanks (one is low), and it was still going off! Uuggg. We got the faceplate off and held down the test button for 10 seconds, it hasn't gone off so far but we can't seem to figure how to access behind it. I'm in a 2002 Fleetwood Prowler full time that I am renting and even the landlord doesn't really know anything. Although this is a really great learning experience and I love tiny living. I plan on purchasing my own newer unit so all this is helping me prepare.
I'm also having some issues with the black tank, the bathroom definitely has a funk especially when it's hot out like now, and the sensors are definitely caked. I have tried Tank Tech ( http://tanktechsrx.com/ ) because I was told not to use chemicals. The previous owner used them and left some behind so I don't know if that contributes to the problem.
6 REPLIES 6

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
They go bad. Ours was less than 2 years old when we had to replace it. It went off around 9:00pm and was so noisy that I am sure the entire campground loop could hear it. We finally had to cut the wires to get it quiet after checking that we did not have any propane leaks. Once replaced, we have not had any more issues. They do have an expiration date.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced the propane detector on my rig last week. Would beep with everything turned of. I could push and hold the reset button for a few seconds and it would then not beep for a day or so. If you see no screws try sliding it up or sideways. Mine had a plate with screws and the detector covered them.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Max life on LP gas and carbon monoxide detectors is about 7 years from date of manufacture, which is often a year or two before installation. The only fix is replacement.

Stinky black and/or gray tanks happen, and the fix requires a thorough clean out. It is possible that the vent has become clogged, forcing sewer gas up into to toilet or sink. There is also a gulp valve next to the sink if the drain to the gray tank is long enough. Its purpose is to make sure the trap under the sink doesn't get sucked dry when you drain the sink, and if it isn't working, you'll get stink either from the sink or from the gulp valve.

Good luck.

FelixNabisco83
Explorer
Explorer
It does, I'm hooked up to power from the house. I also don't use and sort of sprays or anything, I'm wondering if it's just faulty and I need a new one?

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure battery has enough juice in it or it will make LP detector go off

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
LP detectors have an expiration date. My guess is it needs to be replaced or the house battery got too low.

You can try adding whatever you are putting in your tank to all of the traps as well along with water of course. Sometimes, the grey tank can be what is making the smell.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member