cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LT tire outside and inside edges wearing

dpam
Explorer
Explorer
Currently have Bridgestone Duravis LT tires on our 5th wheel. The tires are 3 years old and they are the best tires that I’ve had on the trailer. The tires have a lot of tread left, but the outside and inside edges are wearing, but the rest of the tires have very little wear. I assume that LT tires do not have as rigid side walls as ST trailer tires, therefore I assume the tire edges wear. I’m trying to determine if I have a axel alignment issue or are the LT edges wearing from regular and sharp turning while parking the trailer. Do other LT tire users have the same tire edge wear.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DPAM
41 REPLIES 41

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It certainly sounds like low air pressure, but you said you have them set at max sidewall pressure. Are they all wearing the same?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dpam
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your feedback, but it would have been helpful if some of the respondents read my original and second post prior to responding.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
In this case, the selected LT does NOT belong on a trailer, EVER. It has deep tread that is relatively soft for a 50/50 blend of on/off road use. The On/Off road LT tire has no business being on a trailer.

A/T tread LT tire at MOST...but even then......WHY!?!?!

HIGHWAY-All Season LT is what belongs on trailers if you opt for LT's. Period.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dpam wrote:

The strange thing is that when I bought the tires in 2015 and had them installed I pulled the trailer home approximately 15 miles and when I got home I noticed that the LT tire edges showed some wear.

If you see tire wear in 15 miles, then certainly the fault would be obvious. I would quit towing the unsafe thing.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
dpam wrote:
I assume that LT tires do not have as rigid side walls as ST trailer tires, therefore I assume the tire edges wear.

12th Man Fan wrote:
If both the inside and outside of the same tire is wearing then you are running low air pressure in my opinion.

LT tires have more than adequate sidewalls for trailers.

As 12th Man said, inner and outer edge wear are classic signs of under-inflation. Inflat to the maximum pressure on the sidewall.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try rotating the. Amazing how that works out.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

dpam
Explorer
Explorer
To reply to some of the feedback statements. I am responding with the following:

I always put 80lbs air pressure in the tires, which is was is required by the 16 inch tires.

This spring I had the MorRyde rubber blocks (springs) replaced with new ones and the repair shop told me the suspension is weak and requires replacement, so I also have a brand new suspension.

A neighbour has the same LT tires on his 5th wheel and he told me his LT tires are doing the same thing.

The strange thing is that when I bought the tires in 2015 and had them installed I pulled the trailer home approximately 15 miles and when I got home I noticed that the LT tire edges showed some wear.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Tires wearing both edges on a trailer can be a overloading issue or underinflation. Take the trailer to a big rig trailer repair shop and have them check the suspension for worn parts and alignment check.

The ST doesn't have a stiffer sidewall than a LT especially the all steel ply carcass like the Bridgestone R-250.

I use 16" LT E on my 11200 lb 5er. Ran the first set for 55k miles....2nd set just over 50k miles and on the 3rd set.
I've worn out several sets of LT tires on my work trailers and like my rv trailer the treads wore flat across the tread.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup! classic signs of low air pressure. What pressure do you have them set to? On a trailer you should be airing them to the max pressure as listed on the tires.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
12th Man Fan wrote:
If both the inside and outside of the same tire is wearing then you are running low air pressure in my opinion.

x2. Too much psi and the middle wears out faster. Go to the tire weight vs psi chart and find the right psi for your weight.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
There's a lot of tire scuffing in turns.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE