cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making the TT to FW Leap

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently looking to purchase a Jayco Eagle HT 29.5bhds. My family needs/wants more room while camping.
First off, I have a 2006 Duramax crew 4x4 to pull the FW. The Jayco has a pin weight of 1,500, dry 8,500, gross weight of 10,000. Anyone see any weight problems?
Second, what can I expect from a FW as far as towing, backing up and overall handling? I have never towed a FW before, but have plenty experience towing TT's.
Third, my truck already has a gooseneck hitch from the previous owner. I plan on getting g the $900 adapter from etrailer. They say this is the safest route without frame damage.
Thoughts and suggestions welcome. The Jayco HT is said to be half ton towable. I would also love to hear from someone that has this model.
Thanks.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
29 REPLIES 29

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
had a 24 ft TT and now have a 30ft 5er. TT towed ok, but 5er GREAT
just came back from Havasu, AZ. had 35mph winds, rain, snow, fog. with the TT, I would have been white knuckle, and most likely pulled over. with the 5er, we kept right on going. could not believe we went 12hrs to get home.
we love our 5er.
happy we made the change.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
davisenvy wrote:
I pulled the trigger on the Jayco Eagle HT 29.5bhds on Friday. I'm going back this next week. I'm a bit nervous because I have never pulled or tried to back up a FW. I consider myself above average in towing/backing a TT, hut I'm hearing the FW is a totally different animal. Other than that, I'm extremely excited to get started.

Congrats! As a potential Jayco customer, I look forward to anything you post, good or bad, that you experience.

As for getting to know how your FW tows, find a large hard dirt lot (A paved lot will work, but why abuse your tires more than you have to if dirt is available?) and get some cheapie orange cones to practice backing and turning. Make sure to turn wide! Use your mirrors to watch your FW's tires. Might even get some of the large, convex, mirrors to get a better view.

Don't be afraid to take a lane and a half if you need the room to turn into a tight space. You'll be bigger than 95% of the rest of traffic, so make them go around =you=, if needed. I learned this early on growing up as a farmer in urban encroachment. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

nma33
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your Jayco 5er purchase! Welcome to the Jayco Club!

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
davisenvy wrote:
I pulled the trigger on the Jayco Eagle HT 29.5bhds on Friday. I'm going back this next week. I'm a bit nervous because I have never pulled or tried to back up a FW. I consider myself above average in towing/backing a TT, hut I'm hearing the FW is a totally different animal. Other than that, I'm extremely excited to get started.

First hookup and tow will be a bit intimadating as your not use to having something so large hanging over the back of the truck. Once you get down the road and feel how nicely it tows the concerns quickly go away. Backing is not difficult or all that much different. Biggest challenge I have run into with the 5er is the additional height and making friends with tree branches. Be aware of what is above you at all times.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

EA_Williams
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Towing/backing a 5th is different but super easy to get the hang of. I've gone back and forth between the two a few times over the years and the learning curve is quick.

The 5th is slower to react when back because the pivot point is right over the axle. The 5th will tend to track inside of where a TT would when driving forward so watch your turns and when in doubt go wide.

The height of the 5th is probably the biggest difference. Watch those gas station awnings and low hanging trees in the residential neighborhoods.

Very well said. The first time I did a tight forward turn in a FW I slammed on the brake and said, "what the heck is my trailer doing beside me" lol.

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot I have a aux fuel tank in the bed. I'll make another post. Sorry.

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
Ive already purchased the Anderson aluminum hitch for the gooseneck. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm one to worry about the unknown.

grayghost58
Explorer
Explorer
Look at an Anderson Ultimate hitch. You can attach it to your gooseneck ball in your bed and still hook up to the pin box. you can find them online for around 400 bucks

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Towing/backing a 5th is different but super easy to get the hang of. I've gone back and forth between the two a few times over the years and the learning curve is quick.

The 5th is slower to react when back because the pivot point is right over the axle. The 5th will tend to track inside of where a TT would when driving forward so watch your turns and when in doubt go wide.

The height of the 5th is probably the biggest difference. Watch those gas station awnings and low hanging trees in the residential neighborhoods.

d-mac1
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
This is what you need.

That is what we use. You can adjust the position via a number of bolts. I suggest setting it as high as you can such that your trailer is level so you have max gap at bedrails. I actually lifted my trailer to get a bigger gap for off-road hauling.
2009 Ram 2500 CTD
2012 XLR Thunderbolt 300X10

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Congrats, the Eagle should serve you well!!

The FW is a little slower to turn initially, so just need to pull past a little more before backing. Once it starts to turn, be ready to correct, as it then turns very quickly.

It's different, but with your experience, you will master it quickly.

Jerry

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
You may be a bit over the conservative 9200# GVWR but not even close to the axle rating (which is the important one). I hauled an 11K 5th wheel with that exact truck and it was a dream. You'll love the way the 5th wheels tow. I've gone back and forth over the years and am back in a 5th wheel with no plans of going back to a TT again.

Also, nice choice on the 5th. That exact unit was on my short list but I couldn't find one close enough and ended with a bigger/heavier Keystone Hideout 308bhds. It runs about 10,500# loaded up - weighed 9040# dry.

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
For a 10,000 lb gwvr fiver you have plenty of power but you will be over your trucks gvwr from a payload perspective. Fully loaded pin weight, plus passengers, plus fuel, plus hitch, plus whatever in the truck bed will add up.
Jeep and Explorer