cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Slide Retraction

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Long story, but I tried to manually retract my slide when I had trouble with it, and I broke the rod that goes from the slide motor out to the access point for the crank. (All of the is under the sealed underbelly of the trailer).

The coach is now 15 years old, so I doubt the manufacture will be much help. Do you think this would be a universal repair (i.e. something I can buy off the shelf), or am I going to have to find someone to custom fab a replacement?

Either way, does anyone have a suggestion on where to search for the part?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
5 REPLIES 5

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We would have to release the motor brake before I could turn the rod using a wrench as it is square.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
i say a minimal repair. pull the section of underbelly off and check it out. most likely the little shear pin broke or just need to replace the rod. let us know. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
If the rod you are talking about is the same as the one I broke on my old trailer, then it is just a flimsy piece of tubing. One end slipped over the slide mechanism and had a roll pin to hold the two pieces together. The outboard end was just a drilled hole with another roll pin. That roll pin was what you engaged with your crank handle to move the slide. In my case, the roll pin ripped through the flimsy tube rendering it useless. I took the piece of tubing off and got a new heavier one to replace it. Drilled the two needed holes, got some new roll pins, installed it and was better than new.
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this is the same problem but I just had my slide mechanism consisting of the electric motor and the hydraulic piston (all came as one piece already assembled) replaced on my 11 year old unit. The part was readily available and cost $450 here in Canada. With 2 hours labour the total bill was $720.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
First you need to figure out the brand and model
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.