cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Golf Cart Questions

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
We're headed to the Fort in November. If this past weekend's trip to Willow Tree was any indication, I'm gonna be sick if we don't get another golf cart to take. I had no idea I'd miss a cart that much at the campgrounds. So, we're in the market again.

Two questions:
1. I'm starting to see more a-arm lift kits being offered out there. I love the idea and am quite sure its a better ride than the standard lift. We had a standard 6" lift on our last EZ-GO and it was fine but not the smoothest ride when you hit the bumps. We live on farmland so we quite often drive our cart across open fields. Are there any negatives to having an a-arm lift versus the standard lift kit? Does it sway much in turns or anything like that?

2. I'm also seeing more of these RXV carts from EZ-GO. I know they have AC motors and 48 volts. From what I've heard, they're programmable, faster, and the charge lasts longer. It seems like the way to go. Anyone out there have one and how do you like it?
4 REPLIES 4

mowdoc
Explorer
Explorer
I manage a 258 cart fleet of RXV and RXV Freedom carts. This platform is very good for golf use.

I have no experience in lifted machines. I can say that the front A arm is first part to bend if a front wheel strikes a solid object such as a wall, fence, rock or other cart. We replace several A arms in a year. On the positive side, the A arms are less than $20 (my cost) and easy to change.

Yes, the RXVs are programmable but a V-57 handheld scanner is required to access the controller. This is a very expensive device that most home owners would not have or want to buy. A cart dealer could make changes for you and possibly charge to do it unless you are friends. I have programmed a few private carts for people and do not charge if they bring cart to me. If you are a regular customer at a course with an RXV fleet you could meet the tech and see if he can program your machine for you. Programming takes about 4 minutes.

Most of the data we see with the V-57 deals with battery and cart usage. The scanner does have a comprehensive set of troubleshooting aids and tests it can do but again, this is for trained techs.

Operating perimeters you would be interested in are top speed, acceleration rate, and downhill braking effect. All these are quickly checked/changed.

For use in campgrounds I would recommend 19.5mph (max), quick accel rate and no downhill braking for a sober adult driver. If children are going to drive this cart (this includes drunk adults) I would slow it to 12.5mph or slower and also slow down accel rate depending on the child (drink count). Downhill braking would not be important for cruising around in most conditions. It has a large impact on safety and battery life when playing golf however.

19.5 mph does not sound fast but trust me, an RXV on full accel rate and max speed programmed is a handful of fun!! They will spin tires on wet grass or loose gravel. They will snap your head waaaay back on pavement!!! They would be too much for a child or drunk adult to handle though and someone will get hurt!!

The RXV charger is a small solid state, fully automatic unit that takes very good care of the battery set. Because RXVs use an AC motor they use less energy which means hundreds of dollars a month to me and nothing to you except the charger is easy to move and use. It does warm up so watch where you set it.

I have had very little trouble from this fleet of 2011 carts that will be 3 years old in January. I would recommend one for the job you need but remember, I have never lifted one.
2015 Jayco Precept 35UN
named
"Free Range Chicken"

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:

Rides good with no lift kit
I'll bet it does wheelies too.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know where Garner NC is but on Reidsville Rd, Belews Creek NC There is Brads Golf Cars & another within a couple miles If I remember correctly one is Club Car the other EZ Go (NE of Winston Salem NC) We got ours from Brads both sell custom parts & carts

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

Rides good with no lift kit