cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mud daubers

MAwolcott
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has an idea on how to prevent mud daubers from making nests in various places. Last time camping our fan motor wouldn't spin. when we got home I took the cover off the top and discovered a huge nest. I've heard of using a flea collar for wasps, but nothing for daubers. I considered gluing screen over the slots in the cover, then realized they can still get in the holes in the base of the air conditioner unit.
Mike & Amy
USN ADCS (AW) Retired
2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat.
2017 Montana 3791RD
2013 Cougar 28SGS (sold)
2008 Pilgrim 272PBH (sold)
2006 Summit TT (sold)
Pop-up (sold)
7 REPLIES 7

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
You can find screen covers on amazon to fit your fridge, furnace and water heater vents! Not expensive.. I read all the comments from customers on amazon and learned I needed these before I would have ever realized it on my new TT! Easy to install.. Total cost for all 3, less than 40 bucks1 DO IT!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
To protect my furnace, I have a wire screen over the hot exhaust-gas outlet. (Before putting on the screen, I had to pay to have daubber nests removed from the furnace manifold.)

X2.
My trailer came from the factory with the screen covers.

We have a pond about 200' from the tractor barn/trailer sheds. Fighting mud daubers in the summer is a daily battle.

For the AC cover I take it off and cut hardware cloth to cover each louver. Then add a bead of 35 year caulk and lay the screen on it and let it set up. Just make sure a dauber/wasp can't squeeze in a small hole.

I do all the doors/covers with louvers or a hole such as the battery compartment this way. I also use the wire to enclose the back of the pin box to keep daubers/wasps and nesting birds out.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed one each of these mud dauber screens on my RV. They do seem to work for the ten years I have had the RV. I live in Florida and mud daubers are a problem here.

Mud Dauber Screens
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, Automatic, Quad Cab, Shortbed.
2006 34' Mountaineer 328RLS, 5th Wheel Trailer.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
To protect my furnace, I have a wire screen over the hot exhaust-gas outlet. (Before putting on the screen, I had to pay to have daubber nests removed from the furnace manifold.)

X2 in all exhaust outlets, furnace, hot water heater! I was told that would "void" the Warrenty on those items due to reduced,( reduced? Screen??), air flow. But a daubber's nest is going to reduce the flow big time! If I have a problem, I will pull the screens before bringing in the unit!

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We use home defender on our roof around the vents, fridge vent, toilet vent, and spray through the AV vent holes. prevents, wasps, daubers, ants, etc. Re-apply every 30 days.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I've lived in FL my entire life, and dirt daubers are an everyday part of life. There's no effective way of preventing them, IMO. I grabbed a battery drill out of my shop yesterday and noticed that they had formed nests inside the inset screw holes on the handle. The only prevention I've ever found is to destroy their nests when I see them. The may be small things you can do to locally isolate certain areas, but it's not feasible to cover every orifice or concave opening.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF