cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mystery Crack In Rear Outer Wall of My Cougar

ForestGump
Explorer
Explorer

Any advice on how to make a reapair on my 2012 Cougar fiver? I was thinking a fiberglass patch.
This is Ford country, on a quiet night you can hear a Chevy rust.
16 REPLIES 16

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:
X2, that's no mystery, it got whacked with something good!

Or something bad.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a lawn mower rock sling to me.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

ForestGump
Explorer
Explorer
Bull Rider wrote:
What's the rest of the story? How did it crack? The thread title says "mystery", but is there more info? Did you back into something? Looks like something hit the RV, rather than the RV hitting something.

I'd vote for the auto body shop for a fix, but that depends on how picky you are on the final results.

Let us know and post finished photos too please...

Mystery to me cause I have no idea how it got there. I did not back into anything. I always use the DW as a guide when backing. I think some punk may have done it parked at my house
This is Ford country, on a quiet night you can hear a Chevy rust.

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
That looks a lot like the back of our 5er also. A lot of spider cracks
along the left rear of our Lakota and I no nothing has come into contact
with it. The only thing I can think of is some of the roads that we have
been down were pretty rough.

Steve:B
CanAmKid

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
how about this

Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Appears to be impact damage! A marine fiberglass repair person is your best bet for professional repair. Or as some have said fill it in and put a Good Sam decal over it!!!! Chris

X2 The most experience with Fiberglass.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Appears to be impact damage! A marine fiberglass repair person is your best bet for professional repair. Or as some have said fill it in and put a Good Sam decal over it!!!! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Seal it, then get one of the those big bandaid decals to put over it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Bull Rider wrote:
What's the rest of the story? How did it crack? The thread title says "mystery", but is there more info? Did you back into something? Looks like something hit the RV, rather than the RV hitting something.

I'd vote for the auto body shop for a fix, but that depends on how picky you are on the final results.

X2, that's no mystery, it got whacked with something good!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
I think the decal idea is the best option. If you decide later to have it professionaly repaired, just peel it off.
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
I would do repair myself with the reflector patch.Bringing to a pro will cost you big time.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer

If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
There is a bondo product called Bondo Hair. It's bondo with fiberglas threads in it to help the material attach to the fiberglas around the hole. It can be sanded smooth.

Or just fill the hole with silicon chaulk and place a round reflector over the hole. Also a small vent cover will work. So far, I have repaired two holes this way and it works great. Added safety due to the extra reflectors...LOL.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
I would take it to a body shop that you have used or know their rep. Let them fix it and be done. Or.....like you said....a fiberglas patch and DIY.....little touch up paint when you are done.

I can't imagine an "amateur" non-professional fiberglass mechanic to make anything other than a cobbled up mess if they try to patch this with fiberglass cloth themselves. the only possibility is using white bondo and sand and paint to match.
can you patch it/ paint it/ and slap a reflector over it?
bumpy