cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need an opinion

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
My fifth wheel has a 15K btu AC. Do you think I can run the AC on low with 1 Honda 2200 inverter generator or will I have to buy 2 of the generators?
21 REPLIES 21

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
easy start directions were extremely clear. I'm relatively handy, but this one scared me. There was nothing to be scared about.

Make sure you get the installation kit. I didn't and regretted it. Luckily, I had all the parts needed laying around.

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
So who here has added the easy start themselves. It looks like the hardest part is getting on top of the fifth wheel to me.

I may not even need to do this. The island in the Mississippi we usually camp on has the 2 bridges leading to it flooded. We are not sure if the event we will be going to can even be held this year. No it is not global warming. We have been doing this since 1980. Every 10-15 years the bridges flood.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
microair easy start is your friend.

I went with the westinghouse 2500 and love it.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
mtofell1 wrote:
laknox wrote:
A single Champion 3k would likely be cheaper, especially if you sold the Honda. Give you a lot more capacity.

Lyle

Will also be 3X louder..... signed, the guy camping next to you ๐Ÿ™‚
Not true. The Champion invertor type gennies are very close to a Honda in decibles, much quieter than two Hondas running at the same time.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Running 15k dometic hp with eu2200 on eco throttle and micro air easy start.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
What ^^he^^ said!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

There was a thread this spring where some one used an autoformer between their generator and the air conditioner. It worked well.

I think it will depend on the amperage draw from the roof air.

I'd rather go for the Champion 3400 with remote electric start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
No Honda question goes unpunished.

Yes, it will likely run, but it will be pretty loud and working hard. Get 2.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JRMunn
Explorer
Explorer
As MFL said, lots of opinions here, which I have found to be helpful. I'll relate my experience. I have an older (2004) 5th wheel with a 15K AC and 2800 watt (at 120 volts) Yamaha generator that is supposed to give a power boost for short term load. It will start the AC without any other high amp 110 volt appliances running. My problem is that if the converter is on when the AC starts (which is not predictable when both converter and AC are operating automatically), it puts the generator into an overload mode were it runs but does not put out power. Then I have to shut the generator down to get it working. So, for my situation, without other modifications, I need more power and am looking for a larger generator (the way I set up makes using two inconvenient).

JRMunn

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
A single Champion 3k would likely be cheaper, especially if you sold the Honda. Give you a lot more capacity.

Lyle

Will also be 3X louder..... signed, the guy camping next to you ๐Ÿ™‚

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is it will work until you need it, when itโ€™s really hot, then the load will be over what the EU2200 will handle.
-- Chris Bryant

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
newman fulltimer wrote:
Running on low may as well not run it .. It will end up freezing up and won't cool on low if temps are hot anyway
Assuming the OP has a wall thermostat the cooling unit will have a freeze sensor to cycle the compressor.
Although the sensor is known for being poorly placed or fall out of position the OP should not have any issues if all is working correctly.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not hesitate to run your AC with a Honda 2200. This is my AC starting and then running. 15k Dometic Low Profile. Before turning on the AC there was a 1 amp draw on L1.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I run 1 15k with a honda 3000 ,electrician tested the draw at 14 amps