cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New camper home, pin box concerns,

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
The seller was kind enough to deliver the '09 KZ Sportsmen Toyhauler. He did so by using his short box pickup with a slider hitch that was set-up for the trailer in question.

After backing my '09 F350 with a long box under the camper and stopping when the king pin was just ahead of the axle, there is only around 7" of clearance between the truck and camper. Because the truck is yet to be equipped with a hitch, it can't hooked-up to see how the clearance would actually work. But by appearances alone, the distance looks to be inadequate.

Arrangements have been made to have a standard Pullrite fifth wheel hitch installed, and a used Dexter/Leland 7920 pin box has been acquired. I'm told that the this pin box is 8" longer that the one on the camper right now. That is a Leland AF7910, which is approximately 16" from the camper end of the box to the center of the pin.

Am hoping that the additional 8" of clearance will be enough, but an somewhat worried that the longer pin box may strike the top of the bedrail, which is at stock height. My truck is equipped with a truck camper suspension and Firestone Air Bags, and it sits up a bit in the rear.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or can anyone shed some advise?

Thanks in advance, John
36 REPLIES 36

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
So if the 5er has a normal pin box and the 5th Wheel hitch is installed per Manufacture instructions you shouldn't have an issue.

Our first 5er, when we hooked up the 1st time thought the same thing, need to go up the street to turn around, did some tight turns and not an issue. Sorry but these are the best pictures of the clearance between the 5er and the bumper.
I didn't know I had one of the Ram connected to it.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
With all due respect, I think that you're getting ahead of yourself and overthinking the matter. Our 5er had a standard Lippert 1621 pin box (we switched to a More-Ryde). With my long bed F350, I'd have to say that there was at least 12" clearance from the front of the camper to the bumper. If it were me, I'd put the hitch on the truck and see where it lands before investing too much concern.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
fjrjohnny wrote:
The seller was kind enough to deliver the '09 KZ Sportsmen Toyhauler. He did so by using his short box pickup with a slider hitch that was set-up for the trailer in question.

After backing my '09 F350 with a long box under the camper and stopping when the king pin was just ahead of the axle, there is only around 7" of clearance between the truck and camper. Because the truck is yet to be equipped with a hitch, it can't hooked-up to see how the clearance would actually work. But by appearances alone, the distance looks to be inadequate.

Arrangements have been made to have a standard Pullrite fifth wheel hitch installed, and a used Dexter/Leland 7920 pin box has been acquired. I'm told that the this pin box is 8" longer that the one on the camper right now. That is a Leland AF7910, which is approximately 16" from the camper end of the box to the center of the pin.

Am hoping that the additional 8" of clearance will be enough, but an somewhat worried that the longer pin box may strike the top of the bedrail, which is at stock height. My truck is equipped with a truck camper suspension and Firestone Air Bags, and it sits up a bit in the rear.

Thanks in advance, John

7" is, for most purposes, adequate clearance. The only time you might need/want more is if you boondock a lot and get into rougher country. Personally, I don't think you need a longer pin box whatsoever. With air bags, you can control the level of the truck, but it's not real likely to make much difference in the bed clearance. IF you decide you need more clearance, you may be able to adjust the suspension height by moving the spring shackles to a lower hole (if available) or (again, if available) put the springs on top of the axles. Beyond that, you'd need to go to more extreme measures, the most common being to add a sub-frame between the frame and the spring hangars to raise the entire FW.

Lyle

His concern is back of truck to front of fifth wheel clearance not clearance to the top of the bed
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fjrjohnny wrote:

Thanks in advance, John

7" is, for most purposes, adequate clearance. The only time you might need/want more is if you boondock a lot and get into rougher country. Personally, I don't think you need a longer pin box whatsoever. With air bags, you can control the level of the truck, but it's not real likely to make much difference in the bed clearance. IF you decide you need more clearance, you may be able to adjust the suspension height by moving the spring shackles to a lower hole (if available) or (again, if available) put the springs on top of the axles. Beyond that, you'd need to go to more extreme measures, the most common being to add a sub-frame between the frame and the spring hangars to raise the entire FW.

Lyle

Later: OK, 7" between bumper and FW is =not= enough, so the longer pin box is likely necessary. A hitch, like the B&W Companion, allows you to move the hitch point fore and aft; others may have the same option.
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Personally your wasting money on a longer pin box.A level trailer is a level trailer it just means you will lower the hitch or pull unlevel.All longer will do is put the trailer further back.If your concern is turning clearance the look into a Reese revolution or sidewinder kingpin

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
The distance is between the truck's rear bumper and the front of the camper.

Will try to post.

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Is the 7" of clearance you speak of between the truck bumper and fifth wheel or the top of the box and fifth wheel?

Can you post a picture to show your concerns?
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL