cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New interstate speed limits

madbow43
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a road trip with the family Outback . Traveled US 93 , I 15 , I 84 . In Nevada, Oregon , Idaho and Utah. Limits are from 70 to 80mph , posted speed , well everyone is plus 10mph , myself included. My question is , while towing our 5th wheel my speed is about 62mph , sweet spot . Should I run with my 4ways on? I saw a car in Idaho doing just that traveling in the slow lane at 60-65
39 REPLIES 39

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many states based their minimum speed limits on the Uniform Vehicle Code (UVC) published by the National Committee of Uniform Traffic Laws and Ordinances (National Committee 1954).

By 1962 40 MPH was the 'standard' minimum speed limit on Interstates in majority of states......Michigan and North Carolina maintained a 45 mph minimum speed rule on their interstate highways.

But after the National Highway System Designation Act of 1995 repealed the federally sanctioned maximum speed limit......the minimum speed limit was called into question.

By 2003 only 14 states still use 40 mph minimum speed limit signs, 10 states use 45 mph, and 1 state uses 55 mph. 25 states do not post minimum speed limit signs........"impeding traffic flow," can be used to warn or cite slow drivers.

SO....what does this mean????

Don't drive slower then posted minimum IF posted. Otherwise don't impede the flow of traffic

US DOT.......Speed on Rural Interstates/Relative to Posting 40MPH Min

When (IF) I am on an Interstate (rarely) I don't care what Max Speed Limit is I'm staying at 62-65MPH when towing.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Bothers me in Cali with their 55 mph towing speed limit when everyone else is flying by at 70+ (usually 80+). Dangerous. I applied some yellow/black caution tape to the back of my trailer.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

madbow43
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up. As I said I saw only one car doing it . 4ways on the 18 wheelers when going up the grades at 40 and below. But lve also seen the flat lander big rid drivers think they will blow past the one in the slow lane and get about 2/3s past him and run out of Wheaties, lol

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon is still 60 when towing. I also like towing at 62 but I usually find a trucker and follow him. As for the four way flashers I turn them on if I'm climbing a hill and doing under 45 mph.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF they can't see that 10'+ high wall. Hazard lights ain't gonna help them.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
No! 4 ways are only for emergency situations.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
NEVER use the hazard flashers. Many places it is illegal and it will nullify any turn signals. Try to stay above the posted minimum speed.

OK maybe use hazards as you approach 20 mph going up a hill but keep the 'no signals' on your mind. I have seen signs that seem to indicate slow vehicles should use flashers. Just don't change lanes.

Way too many trucks with hazards flashing suddenly have pulled in front of me where I had to firmly apply the brakes. This IMO is far more hazard than just running slow in the slow lane.

I haven't seen a posted =minimum= speed limit in probably 40 years...at least here in AZ. We =used= to have them before the 70's "fuel crisis" and all limits went to 55. After they bumped them back up, the minimum signs went away.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
NEVER use the hazard flashers. Many places it is illegal and it will nullify any turn signals. Try to stay above the posted minimum speed.

OK maybe use hazards as you approach 20 mph going up a hill but keep the 'no signals' on your mind. I have seen signs that seem to indicate slow vehicles should use flashers. Just don't change lanes.

Way too many trucks with hazards flashing suddenly have pulled in front of me where I had to firmly apply the brakes. This IMO is far more hazard than just running slow in the slow lane.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't, not if you are in the right hand 'slow lane'.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
No