cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member with first camper

klarowe
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. Just wanted to give a quick introduction. My name is Kenny and I will be picking up my first camper this coming Saturday. It took a bit to find one that fit my wife's needs (yea, mine don't matter... :S ), but we finally did and got everything finalized with the bank today. We are definitely excited to begin this new adventure. We ended up going with an XLR 24HFS because it was the best fit for our needs and limitations (tow vehicle). We will be towing it around with our 2013 VW Touareg TDI. Weight and length are an almost exact match to the vehicle but we opted for the WD hitch with sway control to keep it safe.

Once we pick it up I'll be sure to post up some pictures. Looking forward to learning a lot through the help of this forum!
6 REPLIES 6

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
klarowe wrote:
Hey guys. Just wanted to give a quick introduction. My name is Kenny and I will be picking up my first camper this coming Saturday. It took a bit to find one that fit my wife's needs (yea, mine don't matter... :S ), but we finally did and got everything finalized with the bank today. We are definitely excited to begin this new adventure. We ended up going with an XLR 24HFS because it was the best fit for our needs and limitations (tow vehicle). We will be towing it around with our 2013 VW Touareg TDI. Weight and length are an almost exact match to the vehicle but we opted for the WD hitch with sway control to keep it safe.

Once we pick it up I'll be sure to post up some pictures. Looking forward to learning a lot through the help of this forum!

You might want to re-check those weights..
your TH has a DRY weight of 5526 Lbs ( from FR website )
those bikes probably weigh 1800 total
and the VW has 7700 MAX tow and 600 tongue..

all VERY close to max..

get yourself a Tekonsha P3 brake controller too.

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
klarowe,
Congrats on the new XLR. Be sure to check out the Forest River forum, you will be able to get XLR specific info from fellow owners.

Have fun,
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

Bedlam
Nice. Time for some wheel chocks. I mounted my chocks on 2'x4' sheets of thick plywood (just fits between the tie down rings) so they could easily be removed and repositioned based on load. I have always tied down all four corners of the bikes, so the chock is insurance if one tie were to let loose.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

klarowe
Explorer
Explorer
Finally picked her up this weekend. The tank got delayed again but they received in a 2015 last week and decided to give us the 2015 (configured exactly the same) at no additional charge. Two HUGE thumbs up to Campers Inn in Kingston, NH. They were great to work with and went above and beyond to get us the camper we were looking for. Thanks!!

And the pics:

Test fitting the bikes. I'll rarely tow with 3 bikes in it, but it was nice to see that it did fit all 3 just in case.

Mod Edit: Adjusted photo to comply with the 640 pixel guidelines. When posting pictures in the future please use the Yellow Image icon in the tool bar, paste your photos URL link in the appropriate box and type in 640 in the width box (leave height blank). Thanks

klarowe
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately it will be another week until I get to pick it up. Apparently during the prep / inspection the dealer found a crack in the gray water tank and had to order a new tank. Although it sucks, it is nice to see that they are doing a thorough inspection and that they didn't just slap some epoxy on it and try to hide it.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun and post pics when you get it.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)