cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Thunderbolt 417 XLR

Shearwave
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up our 2016 Thunderbolt 417 XLR and couldn't be happier with the trailer. There is no comparison between it and our old Work and Play. The PDI went great and didn't find any issues other than the dovetail storage box was not installed. The 2015 and 2016 brochures both state the storage box is standard on all XLRs.

I discussed this with the salesman and he called Forestriver. They told him it was never installed on a 417 due to structural issues which I find hard to believe. I looked under the trailer and saw there are mounting tabs on the frame to attach the box and if you can load 3000 pounds in the garage, installing the box is not gong to be an issue.

I called Forestriver and talked to them and again they stated the same thing about the box was never included on the 417. I told them that this is one of the reasons I bought the trailer and that the brochure did not state it was excluded. Forestriver then said they would send me box and door for the floor and I could install it. I can do this easily but this was their mistake that it was not installed and I think they should treat this as a warranty issue.

Now with all that being said, is there anyone out there with a 2015 or 2016 Thunderbolt XLR 417 and does it have the dovetail storage box.

Thanks
2012 F350 6.7 KR Crew Cab LWB DRW 4X4
2 REPLIES 2

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of the reason, but the 417 doesn't have the dovetail box. The structural explanation doesn't make sense because if that was it, they wouldn't send you one to install for fear of a structural integrity compromise. Perhaps it's just skipped because you have a 16' garage and you have so much storage space above? Not sure. I'll ask the next time I talk to someone there. As to installing it, maybe you could get the dealer to cut it in for you? If you're going to do it yourself ask XLR for the exact measurements of where to cut as you only get one shot at it. Either that or check another model at your dealer and measure it. Measure twice, cut once as the old saying goes.

Congrats on the new rig despite the box deal though! We love our XLR and I'm sure after you get any bugs worked out, it will make you very happy.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

shum02
Explorer
Explorer

Nice rig, but I think FR is right based on a quick image search.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman