cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Unit Equipment Insurance?

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
So I signed for a new 5ver, and then came the sales pitch for insurance above and beyond warranty. Sounds like every bump will wreck the refridge and everything is waiting to break. Didn't realize I just bought a piece of junk

What sort of equipment extra warranties do most people decide to get?

Thanks
Bill
7 REPLIES 7

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Consumer reports says that for the most part their a waste of money.Your betting that the thing will break, and their betting that it won't. They wouldn't offer it if it wasn't in their favor; just like in Vegas. I agree with the above poster that they frequently don't pay, or turns out to be a scam to begin with. Keep the money you would spend on all the extended warranties they offer, and you can more than pay for the one thing that does break and have money left over. Of course there are some good stories out there about them, but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I have none, but then also have the ability to do most repairs also. That being said, over many years with different RV's, we have yet to have the need to replace or repair any of the appliances, etc. The only part I have a concern about are the two slides on our trailer, but that has to do with never having dealt with one when needing serviced or repaired. At the price of the extended warrantee if I need something I feel I'm still money ahead to pay for it out of pocket.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Glacier Peak ny Outdoor Mfg. full warranty first year frame out to 3 yrs.

Year i''m not big on the warranty add on, tho extending for 2nd year for 200 sounds attractive

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
None unless its a second year warranty from a manufacturer like Forest River offers for around 200 dollars

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I decline extended warranty. Mostly because I don't trust them to actually pay on claims, and also because they are not a good value.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with the above. You have warranties on all the appliances which range from 1-3 years I suspect. Does your new 5ver have a bow to stern warranty if not why not? Hold off even talking to anyone about an extended warranty until the manufacturers warranty is about to go out. Then if you have had issues consider one. Otherwise pass. JMO.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
None. Put the amount of money into a fund monthly so that it adds up to the same amount of insurance you take out. Likely you will find you have at least half left when the insurance expires.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel