cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer 5ers, Slider Hitch Required For Short Beds?

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep reading that the newer 5ers have a redesigned nose with curved sides so that you don't need a slider hitch on a short bed truck. My Ram has the 6.5 bed so I was wondering if I need a slider with certain models or if the newer ones eliminate the need for the slider hitch.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
37 REPLIES 37

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Gonna go with the Superglide auto slider

I hope you did your homework on the Superglide, and the limitations on hitching ,unhitching . Had a friend grow tired of it after couple years ,and got rid of it ,that and the weight to deal with. Hopefully you are aware of all this, they are not cheap .

Yes, more to consider than just that it auto slides. Is there a chance, with your model truck, that it could cause the pin box to hit the tailgate, when sliding. I do consider this to be a quality hitch, that works well for many.

Jerry

Yes, very good chance it could hit, it was a concern. I had the same concern when I pulled my Reese slider back when backing into my driveway, but it cleared . If I remember the Superglide went further back then my Reese manual slider . I had the luxury of checking it out gradual ,not sure you have that with the Superglide , once it starts back I think it goes to until it stops at the end of its travel . A little late in the game at that point .

Early on I considered a Superglide, but definitely not after the trouble I saw with my friends Superglide . Reason I considered it was just not having to deal with that manual slider . I think that is one of the biggest reasons why so many cabs ,and back windows get damage is thinking they can get away from having to use a manual slider , I know I hated dealing with it.

I think Pullrite makes quality products, but IMO the Superglide just has too much baggage with it. .

I solved the clearance problems with a short bed truck ,having the rounded corners on a fifth wheel front cap ,its a game changer . ,and definitely the Andersen hitch .

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cummins2014 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

I hope you did your homework on the Superglide, and the limitations on hitching ,unhitching . Had a friend grow tired of it after couple years ,and got rid of it ,that and the weight to deal with. Hopefully you are aware of all this, they are not cheap .

Yes, more to consider than just that it auto slides. Is there a chance, with your model truck, that it could cause the pin box to hit the tailgate, when sliding. I do consider this to be a quality hitch, that works well for many.

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good info folks. Thanks
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
I keep reading that the newer 5ers have a redesigned nose with curved sides so that you don't need a slider hitch on a short bed truck. My Ram has the 6.5 bed so I was wondering if I need a slider with certain models or if the newer ones eliminate the need for the slider hitch.

Mine is no slider. Andersen hitch on a B&W Turnover Ball mounted to my frame. Ram Cummins short bed.

My Coachmen 5โ€™er has โ€œTurn Tec Engineeringโ€, but the front bedroom still has a full king bed and a washer/dryer in the middle of the front wardrobe ๐Ÿ˜‰
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Some front caps, even though they have rounded corners, will slope forward from the overhang. They will tow and turn fine with sufficient clearance. When backing sharp up an incline or rough terrain, the trailer will lean forward and take out the rear window from a high point on the cab. I've seen these exact results from a Montana High Country and an Andersen hitch.

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Good friend busted his back window with his short bed, no slider, and older 5er with squared front corners. Traded that for a newer 5er with contoured front corners and no more problem. BUT. He was also more careful on tight back in turns.

I did the same, only I had a slider at the time and thought I didn't need to use it . That was a lesson learned !!
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Superglide in my 6.5' Ram bed with a trailer with curved but not "notched" front cap. Obviously, with the SG, there was never a concern. But I paid the price as it was heavy and expensive.

My current truck has a 6.9' bed. With the slightly longer bed and the added 9" offset away from the cab provided by the Andersen Ultimate Hitch (configured in the rear position), I don't have any clearance issues at all - even on tight turns. And the trailer tows just fine in that position.

Like Cummins2014, I probably have had more challenges parking in my own driveway than I have experienced in any campground.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
We have a short bed F250 and we have Pullrite auto slide.......and we have never had a problem. Could maybe got away without the slide but piece of mind..prevailed!

The big reason I never had any worries going with the Andersen ,knowing when I did tow with my manual slider I "HAD" the option of being able to slide it back, but" NEVER" did , other then backing into my driveway, which is a tight fit.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Ron...Lots of variables with this issue! One person's experience may be good, and the other not so much. You know about the shape of front, but the length of pin box can vary, and one hitch will work better than another, due to adjustability, even though not a slider.

The truck itself makes a difference, due to axle center to back of cab distance. GM will work best, longest distance, then Ford, and of course your Ram, has the shortest distance.

Cummins2014, a forum member here, uses an Andersen hitch in a similar truck, with no issue, and likes the hitch. I know there are other Ram owners, using this hitch, also with good results.

Jerry

Lots of variables as you say. I am a good example . My previous fifth wheel was 2008 Montana , and one of the years when they started with the rounded front cap, although the 2008 were sculptured for a better word on the corners then rounded .

I towed that fifth wheel with two different trucks, a 1999 Superduty short bed 350 , and my present truck the 2014 Ram 3500 short bed Megacab . Two different hitches a Reese slider , and the Andersen . I used the Andersen with the adapter to the rear position , putting the fifth wheel further from the cab, slightly rear of axle center, it was too close to the cab when backing into my driveway if I had it in the forward position. With the Reese , I only used the slider when doing the same backing into my driveway.

With my present fifth wheel it has the more rounded corners, and I tow with the Andersen adapter in the forward position , putting it closer to the cab, actually its the same distance from the cab ,as the Reese slider in the tow position , both just slightly forward of axle center the more desirable position . Using both hitches , I can back into my driveway without a problem , not having to slide the Reese back, and having the Andersen in the forward position .

This is all a good example of two different fifth wheels . This present fifth wheel with the combination of the more rounded front cap, and possibly the pin box position, I am able to tow ,and back with it closer to the cab. The Montana had a Morryde pin box ,this one has the Lippert .

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
We have a short bed F250 and we have Pullrite auto slide.......and we have never had a problem. Could maybe got away without the slide but piece of mind..prevailed!
cpaulsen

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
After loosing 2 yes 2 back windows, we went with a slider hitch.. have had NO problems. When in doubt we engage the slider. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Towed for 10 yrs all over the USA with short bed. Always had an auto slider so I never had to think about. Just the piece of mind was worth it.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that terrain seems to be the biggest contributor for me. I have a shortbed Ram and have always been pretty careful when backing. I now have a dent on one corner of the cab from a sharp turn backing into a spot on very uneven terrain while boondocking.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold