cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newmar Quality

PGCR
Explorer
Explorer
We currently own a 2007 Newmar Class-A and are thinking about moving into the 5th wheel arena. Knowing the Newmar quality, but realizing that Newmar Corp discontinued their 5th wheel line, and with so many new manufacturers entering the game, who compares with the interior quality, structural durability, livability and cosmetics that Newmar offers? I realize everyone has their own namebrand loyalty, and I appreciate that, but with so many new product lines hitting the market, I'd like to hear from those who know this area on who they'd recommend I research more. Once I find the 5th wheel we'll find the truck that fits it. Cost at this point is not an issue. Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

dokkema1
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.tiararvsales.com/rv/Lifestyle-RV-2013-Lifestyle-37CKSL

dokkema1
Explorer
Explorer
checkout this place..I don't think you can beat there deals on new high-end 5ers...
http://www.tiararvsales.com/

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
FWIW, I talked to a very unhappy New Horizon owner last February. Had it back to the mfgr several times for basically poor quality problems including an elec. fire. I guess any of them can turn into spit. I too will quit RVing if I can't find something w/o lippert. Craig

I took the tour. They had one unit where they cut a window hole in the wrong location---so they "patched" it.

They wanted $70K more for a comparable DRV Elite Suites.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
Bill1374 wrote:
Hitchhikers are back in production to give you another option. Check the inventory at KansasRVCenter.

Don't hold me to it but I think the new Hitchhiker's are made by Peterson Industries in Smith Center, Ks, who are the folks that make Excel. At least that was the news some time back.

That would be correct.
http://www.nuwa.com/ls/floorplans/

http://www.kansasrvcenter.com/inventory/385056/New-2015-NuWa-Hitchhiker-34FK.aspx
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
Bill1374 wrote:
Hitchhikers are back in production to give you another option. Check the inventory at KansasRVCenter.

Don't hold me to it but I think the new Hitchhiker's are made by Peterson Industries in Smith Center, Ks, who are the folks that make Excel. At least that was the news some time back.

Looks like they are building with Excel's (Peterson Industries) support. They say another well known Kansas manufacturer.

I mean, there are only two other builders I know of in Kansas. Excel/Peterson Industries and New Horizon. And Excel has come out with basically a clone of the Hitchhiker 38CKRD in the Excel model 38RDE.

So good for us as consumers, and good for Hitchhiker.

The Nuwa site says these will be called "private label" Hitchhikers, designed and manufactured to Hitchhiker standards.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I talked to a very unhappy New Horizon owner last February. Had it back to the mfgr several times for basically poor quality problems including an elec. fire. I guess any of them can turn into spit. I too will quit RVing if I can't find something w/o lippert. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
Bill1374 wrote:

Hitch Hiker is a NuWa, not a Peterson (Excel).
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Bill1374 wrote:

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

rmoparman
Explorer
Explorer
Also love the Artic Fox units.
Large 12 in frames ,non lippert
In house frames
Not to much bling

vietvet66-67
Explorer
Explorer
Another to ad to your list is the Grand Design RV, They have 3 models, and range in price from around $52,000 and end in the $120,000 The first is the Reflection Model and the second (their flagship) the Solitude Model. The third is a tot hauler the Momentum. They have a good following and their owners reply
to posts made on the owners website. I am looking at a reflection in my future, and as you can see I will be moving out of my American Star (1999) that has served me well.
I would also say the Excel is about as close to a Newmar as you can get in Quality, but out of my price range.
Good luck with your search, there are a lot of good ones out there.
2006 Chevy 3500 DRW LBZ/ALLY LT2 The "DREAM CATCHER"
1999 Newmar American Star Newmar Kountry Klub #19708
Curt Q20 P-2 Controller
LIFE MEMBER OF THE VFW MEMBER 335 "DUALLY CLUB"
"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS KEEP AMERICA FREE"

PGCR
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent points. I couldn't believe all of the new manufacturers that have popped up since all of the restructuring, hence my question to the masses! I have really been looking at the DRV line-up, but with so many various models from so many different makers to choose from, and having been in some of the 'economy' units, I wanted to get the opinions of those who experience and live the quality day to day. Thanks again!

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We were very happy with our 2008 DP from Newmar.

We are very happy with our DRV fifth wheel.

There are differences in quality between them. Mostly minor stuff that really doesn't make much difference. Some DRV items are far superior and some Newmar items are a little better. Overall the DRV is a nicer / better unit than our Newmar was.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2004 Newmar Kountry Star 5th and it had all wrapped wood that started to peel. Had many axle, brake, bearing issues as axles were not strong enough for the weight of trailer. Maybe on paper but not real life. Traded when I found out that the springs lost all arch and were bent backwards. Would have to be replaced and tires were wearing odd. Been a very happy owner of a 2008 DRV Mobile Suites owner since almost exactly 3 years ago. Purchased used and its been far better than the Newmar. I like Newmar motor homes and I think they do a great job on them and I can't complain about the build on the trailer. My beef was the engineering and materials that were used and corners that were cut. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3