cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

noisy hitch

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up our new 8281 Rockwood today. We brought it to a local camp ground for a few days experimenting and learning the set up. My big issue is that the hitch seemed pretty noisy on the 100 mile trip home over a few California mountains. After we got it unhitched at the camp ground I looked over the entire hitching system. I has the Revolution Hitch by Reese with a 16k Reese truck setup. Everything looks fine. Trailer pulled great behind my 2005 Dodge Ram diesel. I have thousands of miles pulling bumper pulls but this is the first fifth wheel we have had. Is this common with the fifth wheels? If it is I can live with it, the trailer is awesome.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle
19 REPLIES 19

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
A lube plate isn't going to do anything with a revolution pin box as it doesn't move. I would first check all the bolts on the pin box, hitch, and rails. BTW you should really like that setup as it will act much like a bumper pull because of the movement being further back.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
JohnBoyToo wrote:
What kinds of noises ?!?

Well if it is squeaks, then a lube plate and a light coating of grease on the recessed part of the pin.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of noises ?!?
Sure it's the hitch and not your truck or something else ?

What about that cat under your hood ?:E

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
I use a lube plate It works good no grease.You do get some clunking with the reese..I have the highrise hitch
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

WI_Bowhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have much experience with the lighter fifth wheels, however semi truck fifth wheels require some grease between the trailer and wheel. Was it greased? Maybe those people out there with fifth wheel travel trailers can chime in on this??
Keep the Shiny Side Up!;)

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW