cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

noisy hitch

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up our new 8281 Rockwood today. We brought it to a local camp ground for a few days experimenting and learning the set up. My big issue is that the hitch seemed pretty noisy on the 100 mile trip home over a few California mountains. After we got it unhitched at the camp ground I looked over the entire hitching system. I has the Revolution Hitch by Reese with a 16k Reese truck setup. Everything looks fine. Trailer pulled great behind my 2005 Dodge Ram diesel. I have thousands of miles pulling bumper pulls but this is the first fifth wheel we have had. Is this common with the fifth wheels? If it is I can live with it, the trailer is awesome.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle
19 REPLIES 19

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
mountainsam wrote:
OK fellow RV's. This was the results of my noisy fifth wheel hitch. The manufacturer failed to install bushings on the top plate where it swivels. After reading all your posts I got to further inspect all the bolts and nuts. I found the two nuts for the swivel bolts to be loose. Then I discovered the reason they were loose is because there where no bushings and the whole top plate could be lifted 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. So while driving down the road the top plate was allowing the trailer to slam bang and severely wearing the bolts. Its a good thing I stopped when I did. If one of those bolts broke it would have been good bye me and anyone in the way. Took two minutes at the dealers to have a new head installed. Last night I drove to the camp ground, slept in the trailer and brought it the rest of the way home much, much quieter. Thanks for your input.

Speaks volumes for Reese - and Reese QC...:(..:(..:(

As well as the *know nothing* dealer that sent you on your way!..:S

("know nothing" is being polite - as exact term/s would require mod intervention for this post!)...:W

Can anyone say, Buyer Beware !!...:R

~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
oldbeek wrote:
I had an RBW hitch after 80,000 miles it was worn in several spots that allowed 1/8 inch slop. It clunked at every pull out and stopped. Chock trailer wheels and have someone else move the truck back and forth to see where the clunk comes from.

Had a RBW it was VERY noisy but I "thought" it was great, until a friend convinced me to get a B&W. All I can say is silence is golden!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

scuffer
Explorer
Explorer
mountainsam wrote:
OK fellow RV's. This was townerhe results of my noisy fifth wheel hitch. The manufacturer failed to install bushings on the top plate where it swivels. After reading all your posts I got to further inspect all the bolts andlease nuts. I found the two nuts for the swivel bolts to be loose. Then I discovered the reason they were loose is because there where no bushings and the whole top plate could be lifted 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. So while driving down the road the top plate was allowing the trailer to slam bang and severely wearing the bolts. Its a good thing I stopped when I did. If one of those bolts broke it would have been good bye me and anyone in the way. Took two minutes at the dealers to have a new head installed. Last night I drove to the camp ground, slept in the trailer and brought it the rest of the way home much, much quieter. Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your post. I as well an a new 5r owner. The dealer replaced my pin box and it squeaks like crazy now. I'm not sure what all the nuts and bolts you are speaking of are? Can you give me some more details as to what/where they are please. Thank you, Rito

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
I had an RBW hitch after 80,000 miles it was worn in several spots that allowed 1/8 inch slop. It clunked at every pull out and stopped. Chock trailer wheels and have someone else move the truck back and forth to see where the clunk comes from.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

Sundance07
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you checked it out. And glad it was repaired to your satisfaction.

Happy Camping!
2012 Ram 3500 4x4 CCLB/DRW Laramie, Cummins 6.7 HO, 68RFE, 4.10 Max Tow, Firestone Ride-Rite, 50 Gal Transfer Flow
2008 Citation Supreme Platinum XL 34.5 CKTS, GVW 15500, MorRyde, 4 wh disc brakes, -30C Polar Pkg

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
OK fellow RV's. This was the results of my noisy fifth wheel hitch. The manufacturer failed to install bushings on the top plate where it swivels. After reading all your posts I got to further inspect all the bolts and nuts. I found the two nuts for the swivel bolts to be loose. Then I discovered the reason they were loose is because there where no bushings and the whole top plate could be lifted 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. So while driving down the road the top plate was allowing the trailer to slam bang and severely wearing the bolts. Its a good thing I stopped when I did. If one of those bolts broke it would have been good bye me and anyone in the way. Took two minutes at the dealers to have a new head installed. Last night I drove to the camp ground, slept in the trailer and brought it the rest of the way home much, much quieter. Thanks for your input.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

DodgeVoltage
Explorer
Explorer
WI Bowhunter wrote:
lee worsdell wrote:
mine makes a loud bang every time we come to a stop or pull away. Its rocks back and fourth abit and metal on metal its load and annoying.

This does not sound good. I would check that the jaws are adjusted correctly on the hitch pin.

Totally normal if it's a Trail Air air ride pin box. The highest end ones have air ride up and down motion and the plate also moves an inch or so fore and aft for additional cushioning. It will rock back and forth when you start or stop. I have one. Make sure it is greased real well. It has many grease points on it.

Also, don't use grease between the plate and your hitch. It will just make a huge mess of everything. Use the lube plates. Then if you have to, spray some dry lube on the jaws or whatever you have to lock it on.
2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
2009 GMC 2500HD D/A Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen 3795 Voltage Epic Package
2012 Smart Fortwo Passion
2017 Smart Fortwo Proxy
AD USAF 1996-2011 1700+ hrs E-3B/C AWACS
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
That Rockwood is a nice fiver!
Sweet floorplan...

Not sure what the noise is.
Is the trailer hitch clunking, creaking or banging around?

Maybe you could leave it pinned and run the landing gear up and down.
That might pinpoint the problem if you can hear things standing by the hitch.

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
here ya go - use the 'Globe' icon to input a url link:
Here's your link ๐Ÿ™‚

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 8280ws and had a horrific creak and groan from a very stiff pinbox. If that is what you have, use this Spray graphite , it really did the trick and did not collect dirt.

WI_Bowhunter
Explorer
Explorer
lee worsdell wrote:
mine makes a loud bang every time we come to a stop or pull away. Its rocks back and fourth abit and metal on metal its load and annoying.

This does not sound good. I would check that the jaws are adjusted correctly on the hitch pin.
Keep the Shiny Side Up!;)

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW

kroghville
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new rig. You'll love it. I've seen on some forums that some Reese hitches are a little noisy but I have the B&W Companion which are known to be the quietest ones around. Be sure to check all the mounting bolts, grease the jaws and any other moving parts and have safe travels.

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new Rockwood! FR makes some very nice 5th wheels. I guess I am spoiled, I have a B&W Companion and I have never heard any noise whatsoever while towing two different 5th wheels many, many rough miles. I keep the jaws lubed, check the mounting hardware torque and replace the Delrin disc periodically, don't know if that makes a difference. Having spent most of my life repairing mechanical things, noise usually means metal is being pounded together and will eventually cause wear and damage.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer