cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

onan 4000 watt no start

mudrat025
Explorer
Explorer
hello, i have a onan 4000 Watt whisper quiet in my hauler and when i push the start button at the generator i hear a click coming from the start/stop solenoid but no cranking.thinking the solenoid was faulty i put a jump wire over and still nothing.the even weirder thing is if i go to push the prime side of the switch it will only work sometimes??i am not good with electrical troubleshooting but know how to use a voltage meter...any help is appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5

Rotzilla
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same genset, the first year we owned it we had a similar sounding issue. You could hear the solenoid click but that was it. Turned out to be a frozen starter motor, fixed under warranty, thank goodness.
You do have to pull the unit out to change the starter.

Good luck.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Also check to make sure all wire connections are tight.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to checking the battery voltage you should clean the battery terminals and grounds (including the generator ground). Also - in most rigs turning on the engine will connect the engine battery and chassis battery providing more juice to help start the generator.
Kevin

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would agree with low battery or dirty terminals, would check that first.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
How old are the batteries? Check battery voltage. Test to see if voltage drops dramatically when the genset starter switch is pushed.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)