cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onboard generators

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Strongly considering a toyhauler, and will probably have to order because there is limited inventory and not exactly what I want. I polling specifically built in generators, not portables

#A. Have a toyhauler with generator and would never own one without

#B Have a toyhauler with a generator and could go either way

#C Have a toyhauler without a generator and would never would own one

#D Portable(s) have served my needs.

They're just a big added expense and I'm trying to justify if it's something that I should bite the bullet on. I guess I'm just trying to get over the initial big money factor.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
24 REPLIES 24

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
#A Generators are standard items in toyhaulers.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
Answer:
#A - Onboard generator.

Onboard is great to run 2 a/c's. It's hot here and we dry camp at dirt bike races once a month. Plus we like the having all the conveniences. That said, if our needs are limited we also have a Yamaha 3000 purchased before toy hauler that will run 1 a/c or heater.

Would not want a propane unit. Too much trouble to fill. We've run 75 plus gallons of fuel through ours in the last couple month.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I've been going to the desert for years camping in the bed of my truck on the ground in a tent and so on. In 07 I bought a Toy Hauler with a generator we have used it a few times especially in the Dez recently it was 105 nice to run the AC . Also once and a while I use the microwave but I usually cook outside and now and again the wife likes to blow dry her hair. My advice it's really nice to have a generator.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Since most larger toyhaulers have an option for one, go without initially, using your portable, and you can add it after a year if it seems to be needed.
And if your current unit is a 2800 watt Champ, Don't buy another unless you feel you will need to run 2 AC units. The Champ by itself will run a single AC unit.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d never be without one. some day your going to sell the rv and a no gen set rv does not sell as well.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost always utility power and even if no power you have no need for air conditioning?
I would say you are an excellent candidate for no onboard generator. Keep the one portable and mostly leave it at home.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toy haulers have bunches of room on the roof for solar panels. If you don't need A/C you won't need a generator with an adequate solar system.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I guess I should have put more facts into my original post.

Currently we have a rather large pop-up, and a portable generator that we bought last year, but never needed to use. I could pick up another Champion 3100/2800 inverter and a parallel kit for probably around $700 give or take. With two generators, that would give me 5600 running watts. We had to use it the other day cause we had power out at the house for a few hours. Something I couldn't do with an onboard genny.

We've only dry camped in Montana once and didn't need to worry about the A/C. Everywhere else we have gone in the past, at least electric at the site. With a different RV set up, this wouldn't be something so limiting.

With two generators, that would give me 5600 running watts. We had to use it the other day cause we had power out at the house for a few hours. Something I couldn't do with an onboard genny.

Plus, we would have to store it offsite so that would be a tempting piece of hardware for someone to want to steal.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Every toyhauler we've purchased has come with the generator already installed by the dealer. So that's something you could negotiate in to a purchase price. When we switched to a traditional 5th wheel, it only came with the prep and we had a generator installed by a third party referred to us by Cummins as it was about $1000 cheaper than the dealer doing it. As you mentioned, it is not cheap. The plus of the toyhauler built in generators is it can use the fueling station with gas. We now have a propane one so it will be a bit more of a pain to "refuel".

The #1 reason we have the generator is for air conditioning. We do a fair amount of warm weather boondock camping in higher elevations (aka the sun is pretty intense) so it was a must for us as we leave our dogs in the trailer when we leave the site. If we didn't need the AC (ie camped in cooler temps or in areas with lots of shade) we could totally get by with a basic solar system and maybe a cheaper gen as a backup.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

dedmiston
#A for me with both of my toy haulers.

A couple of questions for you:

1. Do you dry camp?

If yes, then you'll need a generator.

2. Do you run your AC much?

Again, you'll need a gen.

Having said that, if you're starting scratch and trying to economize, you could apply those same funds to a good solar system, four batteries, and a portable gen.

Since we added solar, we rarely run our gen. We run it for about 20 minutes before bedtime if we've been sloppy with our power usage during the day. We also run it any time we're using the air conditioners.

Happy shopping!

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230