cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One Butt Kitchens

travelrider73
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I are not sure whether or not we'd be OK with a floorplan that had what I am referring to as the One Butt Kitchen - meaning only one person is getting in there at a time...

Example:

Who of you has one of these or has had one of these types of kitchens and do you like it, dislike it? Share your story to help us make up our mind whether to nix coaches with this kitchen plan.

Thanks!
58 REPLIES 58

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
One reason we detest one butt kicthens is we both LOVE to cook and are very good at it. Sometimes I make the meals and sometimes she makes the meals when she feels up to it. The rest of the time we make the great meals together and you can't do that in a one butt kitchen. We love cooking together as we are very close like teenagers in "love" (and we are!) still at 72 and learn from each other, help eachother, and create very special meals working together.

My specialty is mainly main dishes with meat, pasta, taters, casseroles, stirfrys, preparing/grilling, and the seasonings of as it comes natural to me. Hers is veggies, salads, desserts/baking of lots of things, pies, gourmet grilled sandwich type items, etc. We worked together in the kitchen/galley all our married life in the home, RV, and our cabined boats and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Yes, I do help clean dishes and vacuum or do them myself like doing the laundry when home as I'm 50% of our relationship and so many males forget this! I'm so happy to do every bit of my part and more in our marriage. I'd much rather give 75% than only 25% as that sucks and the needs constantly differ and are not defined at 50/50.

Sure helps keep us together and very very happy to be married! No wonder so many couples can't be happy together as they don't seem to understand what "together" means!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
we have like that and love rubbing butts once in awhile

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
How's this for a one butt kitchen?

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
I like one butt kitchens when I cook in the rv or at home I want to cook alone no one in my way. ๐Ÿ˜›
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
Seattle Lion wrote:
travelnutz wrote:

With the slides in: Can you fully use the kitchen, bathroom, and access the bed and/or the closets on the other side of the bed. What a PIA to have to open a slide everytime for just a nature call on the road or to get a sweater/jacket etc if the weather changes, spill something, or maybe it gets a lot hotter in the afternoon and you want some different duds to wear. After just over 50 years of RVing now, we've been well educated and know what works and what creates problems!

It's all a matter of opinion. Our new FW with the slides in has access to one side of the fridge (one of the two freezers), the bathroom, and the bedroom. With the bed slide in, you would have to climb over the bed to get to the closet. That works for us. I agree that bathroom access is critical. The TT we traded in for the new FW had the bathroom in the back and it was inaccessible with the slides in.

X2. I didn't want to camp in a refrigerator box, so having those big beautiful slides block that big beautiful island was AOK by us! Kind of a "no brainer" ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm just betting that's why they make different models for different folks, ya think?

There are people here who like 17 ft, no slides, stick-and-tin Lancers. Different strokes.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Lion wrote:
travelnutz wrote:

With the slides in: Can you fully use the kitchen, bathroom, and access the bed and/or the closets on the other side of the bed. What a PIA to have to open a slide everytime for just a nature call on the road or to get a sweater/jacket etc if the weather changes, spill something, or maybe it gets a lot hotter in the afternoon and you want some different duds to wear. After just over 50 years of RVing now, we've been well educated and know what works and what creates problems!

It's all a matter of opinion. Our new FW with the slides in has access to one side of the fridge (one of the two freezers), the bathroom, and the bedroom. With the bed slide in, you would have to climb over the bed to get to the closet. That works for us. I agree that bathroom access is critical. The TT we traded in for the new FW had the bathroom in the back and it was inaccessible with the slides in.

X2. I didn't want to camp in a refrigerator box, so having those big beautiful slides block that big beautiful island was AOK by us! Kind of a "no brainer" ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm just betting that's why they make different models for different folks, ya think?
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Seattle Lion wrote:
This is our new Bighorn kitchen...

Wow! That's gorgons!That has to be one of the most impressive campers I've seen yet! I love all that wood! The interior of my house is very similar to this, but a little more rustic.

X3. Love that ceiling!
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
kakampers, agree there. What are these designers thinking when access to the head is blocked with slides in. Also at least one side of the fridge should be accessible with slides in.

Saw a Mobile Suite at a show last fall with coathooks something like 7' off the floor. Do some of these designers ever go camping? My Alpenlite is no exception. Light switches in all kinds of random places. You have to get on your knees to operate slide switches. DUMB!!!!

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Lion wrote:
This is our new Bighorn kitchen...

Wow! That's gorgons!That has to be one of the most impressive campers I've seen yet! I love all that wood! The interior of my house is very similar to this, but a little more rustic.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
OP - One word of warning, those over the counter cabinets could also be a head banger (depending on your height).
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
rseymour21 wrote:
kakampers wrote:
Spent six years fulltiming in a "one butt kitchen"...finally could not take any more...

Upgraded to our Landmark a little over a year ago, and could not be happier with my new kitchen!!

DW and I like the layout of your Landmark as well! Someday maybe!:)

We've been in it over a year and we cannot find ONE thing we would change about the floorplan...best layout we have ever had! One of the main things is the stairs to the bedroom on the doorside...almost bought a DRV but the stairs were on the off-doorside and when the slide was in you could not access the bathroom or the bedroom.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Lion wrote:
travelnutz wrote:

We feel the same way...it's not a deal breaker. If we need the kitchen while traveling, we simply put the kitchen slide out enough to use everything in there. Everything else, i.e., bath and bedroom totally accessible along with the refrigerator.

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
kakampers wrote:
Spent six years fulltiming in a "one butt kitchen"...finally could not take any more...

Upgraded to our Landmark a little over a year ago, and could not be happier with my new kitchen!!

Like the flooring in your old one. What is it? That drop counter leaf looks good too. Something to put on my 'to do' list. We have counter on both sides of the sink but more is always better.

Also, how long is that Landmark. Size does matter on what can be put where. I'm guessin it is in the upper 30's range.

The flooring in the Bighorn was a resilient vinyl called Tranquility. It is much thicker than sheet goods and is laid in "planks" like a laminate...we really liked it! The drop leaf we ordered thru Heartland so that it matched exactly.

The Bighorn was 39 feet...the Landmark almost 41, and kitchen has more storage than you can imagine!!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
travelrider73 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
I guess this galley is a 'one butt kitchen'.

The Admiral loves it. The counter space is one of the primary reasons for choosing this floorplan. Everything from pantry (washer dryer closet), side by side fridge, stove with oven is no more than one step away. We are seldom near places with restaurants so almost all meals are done in house.

The pic was taken after a major shop in preparation for a 4 month trip.

I can't really see because of the shopping bags, but yours looks like it has more room than most. I like how your counter space expands with the slide area. Everything we have seen keeps the "L-shape" part that creates the One Butt design from being involved in the slide and removing an entire corner of counter space. What brand/model is yours? I'd like to see one in person.

A somewhat less cluttered view of our 07 Alpenlite 34RLR.

This was taken on the day after we aquired it in 2009. Like everyone else we are always looking. The nice thing is that we have not seen anything, in the same length, that we have liked better. Sure there are others with more galley space. The problem is that these trailers are in the high 30'ers range. Way too long for our camping habits.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:

2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog