cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Range VS Montana

kmgk92
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I'm looking for opinions on two different campers. We're at the RV show in Hershey and I have found two contenders but I need real life answers not salesmen BS. I need to know from current or previous owners of Montanas and Open Ranges do you like your campers? Did the companies stand behind their warrantees and would you buy that brand again? The Montana is a new raised rear living room. The Open Range has the rear kitchen. Thanks for the help!
23 REPLIES 23

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is Keystone repackaged the Montana, eliminating the nice cap and then still charged more for the new repackaged Montana. Then charged even more to get the nicer rear cap. Is that what they call 'marketing'?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Ford Man wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
Very impressed with our 2016 Montana Legacy and we do not have any fumes at all.

We love our Montana Legacy 3611RL as well. Another comment was that the 2016 Montana looked like a Mountaineer. The Legacy Package looks more like last years Big Sky

I guess I must have just seen a batch of non-legacy as I drove by the lot. Just a bunch of flat backs with the Montana logo. I should look to see what the legacy looks like.

Well here it is. Big difference in this and the regular ones. I happen to like it.

Ya that's more like the Montana I remember :). I didn't see anything like that at the lot. Did Keystone just rename and combine the Montana and Mountaineer so the flat backs are more like the Mountaineer and the Legacy is more like the Montana? I remember Big Sky used to be its own unit, then was a option package, and now I'm not sure.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Ford Man wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
Very impressed with our 2016 Montana Legacy and we do not have any fumes at all.

We love our Montana Legacy 3611RL as well. Another comment was that the 2016 Montana looked like a Mountaineer. The Legacy Package looks more like last years Big Sky

I guess I must have just seen a batch of non-legacy as I drove by the lot. Just a bunch of flat backs with the Montana logo. I should look to see what the legacy looks like.

Well here it is. Big difference in this and the regular ones. I happen to like it.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Have had the one in my Sig for 3 years now. Only thing done to it was a cable adjustment at the end of year two. I'd buy another if I ever buy another.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Montana's and OR are both good units. We have the 162nd Open Range made. It is a 2009 purchased new in May of 2008. Had some small glitches at first but overall we really love the unit. I will say that the factory folks are excellent. FYI Jayco bought Open Range. The company is called Highland Ridge dba Open Range. It is still a stand alone company. Over the weekend at Good Sam Rally we looked at a new Open Range 388RKS with triple insulation. What a rig. It has the rear kitchen and almost 40' long. Also Open range has a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. Would I buy another one..Absolutely. Good Luck in your search.Open Range is now in the 19000 unit.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Man wrote:
Arcamper wrote:

koladog
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Mountaineer and are enjoying it as much as we can while still working full time. Yes, we've had our problems like cabinet doors splitting because of wood expansion, side panels falling out because of loose screws, chandelier cover smashing because of heavy weighted pull strings, and a battery disconnect switch that always wants to live up to its name. We like the layout, size and weight and all these 'problems' are part of enjoying the experience. I'm sure you find a similar list no matter what brand you chose. Look for a layout you like and enjoy.

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Can't go wrong with either one of these fiver brands.

Ford_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Open Range (in signature) and have had very few problems with it. We have been to two OR rallies in Texas and most owners seem very pleased with the trailers and the manufacturer. The only problem we had in warranty was the propane regulator would not switch tanks and they sent me a new one. We are out of warranty now and have had a loose cabinet that I fixed but really no other problems and have made cross country trips. We would definitely buy another one but I plan to use this one till I die (retired now and loving it).
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
hbillsmith wrote:
You should also see Grand Design and Wildcat

We're trying to rid ourselves of our signature FW for a Montana, so......

Has there been problems with your Wildcat?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a 2003 and 2007 Montana, the latter being a great coach and good customer service/warranty and super Dealer. However, when I look at the 2016 Montana, it is not the same Montana we had. It looks closer to the Mountaineer.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
hbillsmith wrote:
You should also see Grand Design and Wildcat

We're trying to rid ourselves of our signature FW for a Montana, so......
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD