cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Order New or Buy off Lot

JohnEM38
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to buy a new Bighorn fifth wheel. My question is do I order one or buy off the lot? If I order, what options are must haves for snowbirds?
Kristin & John
2012 F-350SD SRW CC SB 6.2 4:30 11,300 GVWR "Brown Sugar"
2021 F-350SD SRW CC SB 7.3 4:30 (on order)
2018 Grand Design Reflection 26RL "Tailwagger"
4400 SuperGlide
doublegstravels.blogspot.com
26 REPLIES 26

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
"I'll pass on the residential fridges as they operate only on 110 volts. Can't run them when you are moving unless you run a genny or have lots of batteries and an inverter. Same for boondocking."

Not so...when you order the residential fridge it comes with a dedicated inverter and battery. You can easily travel with this fridge and boondocking would only require the addition of a solar panel to keep the battery charged.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps I should have been more clear. I should have said that, "IN TOTAL", you will pay the amount of sales tax charged by the state that the unit will be registered in, no matter where you buy it.

I live and register my vehicles in Florida so I paid Florida sales tax 'IN TOTAL' even though I bought my 5th wheel in Ohio.

That is what I meant by saying that the taxes that you pay will be the same.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

Make sure to factor in travel costs to get the new trailer.

Taxes will be the same.

Taxes - will *NOT* be the same!!..:(

Buyer Beware! - do your homework!..;)

IIRC - Indiana purchases will be taxed by Indiana, no matter where you live. (Lots of mfgrs & dealers located in Indiana)
Maybe someone from Indiana will chime in.

California - *unless* you take delivery *outside* CA, a purchase from a CA dealer will include about 8-9% sales tax no matter where you live..:(
(Nobody needs to chime in on that one, LOL!)

Five (?) states with NO sales tax:
Montana, Oregon, New Hampshire, Delaware, Alaska.

Lots of RV dealers in MT !!

~

That doesn't mean anything if your from Michigan. If you bring it home to have it registered in Michigan, you have to pay sales tax on it, unless you paid 6 or more percent in another State. Even if you pay 4% in another State you will still have to pay 2% in Michigan.

I was looking to buy a car in Ohio (new). Was told buy the dealership that there was a reciprocity agreement between Michigan, Ohio and several other States. They collect and send the money to Michigan.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
The best insulation package available. Insulation works for heat as well as cold conditions. I like a lot of the suggestions listed above, good info.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

Make sure to factor in travel costs to get the new trailer.

Taxes will be the same.

Taxes - will *NOT* be the same!!..:(

Buyer Beware! - do your homework!..;)

IIRC - Indiana purchases will be taxed by Indiana, no matter where you live. (Lots of mfgrs & dealers located in Indiana)
Maybe someone from Indiana will chime in.

California - *unless* you take delivery *outside* CA, a purchase from a CA dealer will include about 8-9% sales tax no matter where you live..:(
(Nobody needs to chime in on that one, LOL!)

Five (?) states with NO sales tax:
Montana, Oregon, New Hampshire, Delaware, Alaska.

Lots of RV dealers in MT !!

~

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
JohnEM38 wrote:
AZ T&T wrote:
I was truly surprised at what a great price we got by ordering from the factory! After our deal was done I mentioned to the sales manager that after doing all off my research and checking prices on other units I thought I would have had to pay more. He told me that they don't have much mark up on factory orders because they have nothing invested in them.

Makes sense to me.

Did you order it locally or from a national wholesaler? Is buying locally worth it?

Thanks for all the reply's

Bought it from a local dealer. They didn't have the model we wanted , so ordering was our only option.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I bought from a national wholesaler. Others have said to get the wholesaler's best price, then take to your local dealer and see how close they come. Then you will have to determine if the difference (assuming there is a difference) is worth it to you to buy from the wholesaler. Make sure to factor in travel costs to get the new trailer. Taxes will be the same.

I don't have my exact numbers in front of me but I know I paid about 60% of the factory MSRP.

JohnEM38
Explorer
Explorer
AZ T&T wrote:
I was truly surprised at what a great price we got by ordering from the factory! After our deal was done I mentioned to the sales manager that after doing all off my research and checking prices on other units I thought I would have had to pay more. He told me that they don't have much mark up on factory orders because they have nothing invested in them.

Makes sense to me.

Did you order it locally or from a national wholesaler? Is buying locally worth it?

Thanks for all the reply's
Kristin & John
2012 F-350SD SRW CC SB 6.2 4:30 11,300 GVWR "Brown Sugar"
2021 F-350SD SRW CC SB 7.3 4:30 (on order)
2018 Grand Design Reflection 26RL "Tailwagger"
4400 SuperGlide
doublegstravels.blogspot.com

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer

Makes sense to me.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Our experience when we bought was new on the lots (including Bighorns we looked at) were at 65% of MSRP among several dealers. Left over models were at 60%. We got ours for 58%.

We were lucky, we found a unit with more than we wanted, left over, for less money.

So, if I were you, I would not rule out a left over model.

As far as a snowbird needs, I would recommend the dual pane windows.

I would not recommend any of the leveling systems if your only going to go there, set up and stay for 5 months, then take it home and it sits there for the other 7 months. Waste of money. Caveat: Get if your health necessitates an auto system.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
The benefit of ordering in my opinion, is that you get the simplicity of comparing exact apples to apples. The trim level is the same, the options are identical, it all comes down to the price and follow-up service.

I ordered both my truck and my fifth wheel. I was able to shop 4 Ram dealerships within an hour of me (and the Dave whatever in the midwest) for the exact same truck. I was able to shop 4 RV dealerships (1 "wholesaler", 2 locals and 1 a little further away) for the exact same unit.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Generally, buying off the lot gives you a better discount? And the dealer can add most amenities that you might desire?

Disagree!..:( - 100%

How to tell?

Shop *exactly* what you want to *ORDER* via the Internet - far and wide (out-of-state, etc).

Never even hint you might consider a unit off the lot.

Best deal is now your "benchmark" price.

Now - you can ask, "Do you have what I want in stock?"
And compare the prices.

Use that price to decide if your "off the lot" deal is better, close, or *way* more expensive.
(I'm betting on "way").

Usually ordering results in a *MUCH* better deal..;)
Expect to negotiate for "on the lot" (dealer stock) units.

Decide if you "gotta have it now" (off a dealer's lot) or
if ordering is worth the wait..:@

It's your time, and your bucks!

Are you willing to travel (how far?) for a/the best deal?

No mater which way you go:
Line up your own financing (if you need it), and NO trade-in.

~

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
For my new life of full timing, I ordered a Bighorn 3010RE last year. I ordered it because I wanted to choose the colors and options. It showed up quick - only took about a month or so to get it.

You are almost at model changeover time - RV manufacturers change over much earlier then the car manufacturers. If you buy a 2014 model off the lot now, it will be a year old in about 2 months. I would delay for at least a month and order a 2015 model.

You should ask your dealer about the 'secret' options that are currently available. Don't laugh - it's real. When I asked about this I was told that the Bighorns and Landmarks go down the same line so sometimes you can get some of the Landmark options on a Bighorn - if the dealer asks.

Also go to the Heartland Owners club web page and ask questions.

I ordered the following items on my 3010 off the secret options list even though they were not official options:

electric hose reel for the 50 amp electrical cord. Especially nice in cold weather.

metal cover for the awning

7000# axles (Not for sure on this one)

There were other items on the list.

Regular options I would recommend -

6-point Leveling system. Takes all of 1 1/2 minutes to get your rig totally level - After using it, would not have a rig without this.

Stackable washer and dryer. Very nice but you will lose closet space.

Yeti option. Tank pad heaters, heat tape on water lines, and extra insulation.

MorRyde kingpin - Minimizes chucking. My air hitch pretty much gets rid of the up and down motion.

2nd air conditioner. If you're going where it's hot, don't even think of not getting this.

Toy lock. Lock up your grill, bikes, genny, satellite dish, etc.

slide awnings

Get the big fridge. Mine works great. Dual freezers which seem especially large.

I'll pass on the residential fridges as they operate only on 110 volts. Can't run them when you are moving unless you run a genny or have lots of batteries and an inverter. Same for boondocking.

Tim

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
We always bought off the lot,so we could see exactly what we were getting,factories make changes all the time and you may not get exactly what you want.Dealers are always offered incentives by the manufactures to stock certain models,there fore the lot price is cheaper.The dealers are also offered deals on factory model surplus,because at the beginning of some line runs the bean counters think X model will be a big seller and it isn't,they will have prepurchased certain parts for X and now have to move them.There are more angles,for instance what models did the dealer order at the factory show to get a better deal.Single custom orders are generally a pain to all concerned and you pay for it.