cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oxidized exterior

weathermeister
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Couger wit a fiberglass skin. It has what I think is oxidized exterior. Wondered have you guys handle that. I've been told that simple green takes care of black strea and now that warmer weather is around the corner, I will be trying that out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is there a wax/protection product out there that you can recommend. Thanks in advance
15 REPLIES 15

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
The Sun is hard on RV finishes, well just on plastics and fiberglass...Our 2011 Montana is used on the road, but we keep it at a Campground to use and is used as our storage..We wash it about 6 times a year and give it a buffer waxing once a year..Doing this keeps it nice and bright, but the front nose cowl oxidizes fast and must be the way its made..So to clean it up takes us a good day working together.(my wife and I) Our bodies are done taking turns using the Buffer.Start with the wash, Compound(white/machine), Marine oxidized cleaner wax, and if still have our arms a good polish..Its all a labor of love when you look at the RV 2 spots down, its so oxidized that if you touch it the white chalky finish comes off on your hands- come on wash that thing, at least have some pride of your RV.
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
If y'all have oxidation, I must have rust. None of that stuff cleans mine. Best thing I found was Deep Woods Off, and it still looks terrible. One side looks like new, the other side..no.
Reminds me....I was going to call a RV shop today and see if they wanted to try it.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. clean magic eraser.
bumpy

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I see the oxidation as patina and believe it gives the trailer a sophisticated look. Code for lazy.

widedomain
Explorer
Explorer
I use softscrub on a brush. Wash first, then Softscrub, then wash again. Seal with Zeps or your favorite wax.

weathermeister
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the ideas. I may look into a detailer.

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Use the Zep/Red Max Pro Process to clean the oxidation.
If you don't want to use floor wax, use the car/boat wax of your choice.

Cleaning and preparation is the important step before applying the wax.

X2 I used this process on my 05 Montana and it worked wonders. Looks new again.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
You may want to hire a auto or RV detail company to get rid of the oxidation and wax. We had our 38ft 5th wheel detailed on the outside for $300. It took two people 5 hours to do the job with the right polishes/waxes and equipment...well worth it.

The last time I did it with a buffer it took me two days and my shoulders and arms hurt for a couple of days.

X2
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Use the Zep/Red Max Pro Process to clean the oxidation.
If you don't want to use floor wax, use the car/boat wax of your choice.

Cleaning and preparation is the important step before applying the wax.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to hire a auto or RV detail company to get rid of the oxidation and wax. We had our 38ft 5th wheel detailed on the outside for $300. It took two people 5 hours to do the job with the right polishes/waxes and equipment...well worth it.

The last time I did it with a buffer it took me two days and my shoulders and arms hurt for a couple of days.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is oxidized then your only fix is a lot of work. Random orbital buffer helps, but your still in for a lot of labor. Start with polishing compound followed by a quality wax like McGuires RV/Marine in the blue bottle, or Collinite FleetWax are my top two choices.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
Yearly waxing.

This. Dont seal the oxidation in.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when home depot/Lowes was unloading their ZEP floor polish folks here jumped on it. some folks now swear by it, others swear at it.
difficult to remove when required.
why not use a boat fiberglass polish?
bumpy

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider using a buffer...gently.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad