cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me decide on Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler!

soaring360
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I’m new to the world of RVs but have decided to take the plunge into full-time Toy Hauler living after being inspired by the nomads out there and their amazing adventures. I am in the process of selecting a Toy Hauler to purchase and am hoping I can count on some of the more experienced members here to help me make the best choice and get the most bang for my buck. Below are a few things I’m looking for in the (5th wheel) Toy Hauler I choose. Randomly looking at models on youtube I found the Heartland Road Warrior 390/410 and the Dutchmen Voltage 3970 to be appealing, please do check them out with the links below. Please also let me know of other brands/models you might recommend. Thanks in Advance for your advice! I’m a little nervous with this transition as I’m a novice, your experience and input is greatly appreciated! Looking through the forums I see a lot of comments suggesting that the build quality is pretty much the same across all brands. Could this really be true? Is there no brand/model that stands above the rest the way Ipods do for music players or Tesla’s do for EVs?

--------------------
Some of my Requirements(please suggest others I should consider):

- Toy Hauler ( I plan to haul two motorcycles)
- 4 Season preferred with good insulation(What level of R values are adequate for full-time living? I would spend time in cold conditions during ski season etc.)
- stadium theatre seating directly facing Media Center
- Good build Quality, should last many years. Is 20 years a reasonable expectation? I understand the greatest damage can be caused by water leakage, what brands/models/features would give me the most care-free maintenance?
- Smart ladder(no need to detach and store)

-----some additional thoughts/details-----
-I will be storing two motorcycles in the garage.
- i’m looking for value, my budget for both the toy hauler and the truck is 100k, but if you guys convince me that spending more is well worth the investment i’ll go for it.
- I plan to blog, travel, work, and basically live full-time in this rig.
-There is an RV show in my state in September which I plan to attend. I’m hoping to narrow down my top 3 choices before then and finalize my purchase in early October.

-----Additional thoughts, details, and questions------

-I eventually plan to install a composting toilet, I understand they are quite convenient and eco-friendly. Also the blogs I’ve read suggest users actually grow to prefer composting toilets over time. Alternate opinions are welcome for consideration.
-I also intend to someday include solar panels on my rig.
-How much can I expect to pay for insurance and property taxes? Are there any other large expenses I should be aware of?
-How come I don’t find any reviews of different RVs/toy haulers? I’m only able to find sales pitches.

-------Truck-------

I will wait a few months after purchasing the toy hauler to decide on the proper truck. iff you have inputs on that too please share your thoughts on that too. I think an F-350 would be a proper choice for an 18k lb toy hauler but if I can get by with an F-250 that’s what I would prefer to save on cost and gas.

I realize I wrote a lot here. Thank you for your time and will definitely keep you updated on my final decision.

----Links----

Voltage 3970:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7cdaFL-EL4&index=16&list=PLK740d1Lh8Fg6btV1hC7M1CSDzKtjOyJL

Heartland Road Warrior 410:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiqJkNpxIc4&index=9&list=PLK740d1Lh8Fg6btV1hC7M1CSDzKtjOyJL
12 REPLIES 12

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
soaring360 wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I think I've narrowed the choices down to the following three:

1.) Heartland RoadWarrior 410
2.) Voltage 3970
3.) Cyclone 4000

I like the floor plans, leaning towards the 410.

You might also consider posting (or ask the mod to move) your questions to the *Toy Hauler* forum (here).

While some folks will follow both forums - many do not.

Happy hunting!..:)

~

soaring360
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! I think I've narrowed the choices down to the following three:

1.) Heartland RoadWarrior 410
2.) Voltage 3970
3.) Cyclone 4000

I like the floor plans, leaning towards the 410.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
soaring360 wrote:
Great! Thanks for the suggestions! On my way to an RV seller right now to browse around a bit. I did like the new cyclone 4200 but it's missing the theatre seating facing the media center which is a must for me :).

Howdy!

Thats one of the main reasons we chose the Cyclone 4000 floor plan, also the kitchen area is seperate from the livingroom area.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most toy haulers require a dually. 18K for sure!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
Check out KZ, I have had two of their products and loved both of them.
Good luck, have fun.
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
2004 Dodge 3500 (Diesel DRW)
Advanced Air Rider hitch

soaring360
Explorer
Explorer
Great! Thanks for the suggestions! On my way to an RV seller right now to browse around a bit. I did like the new cyclone 4200 but it's missing the theatre seating facing the media center which is a must for me :).

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

After much research we ordered a Heartland Cyclone 4000 elite. One of the thing I would recommend is look at the websites of folks that own the RVs your interrested in to see what they have to say about them. The link below is the Heartland owners forum, take a look at the Cyclone community site to see if it helps.

Heartland owners forum

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
Nolan wrote:
We thought of the toyhauler truck idea in 2003. Decided to go with a four year old HDT (semi) and a regular 5th wheel trailer. The semi truck was modified to carry two 800 pound street motorcycles and pull our 16,000 pound 5th wheel Hitchhiker. Worked great for four years until I got burned out using the motorcycle as our main transportation. Got a car sold the motorcycles. Kept the truck because now I'm spoiled with the excellent pulling and stopped power no pickup truck will ever have.

I would check out the HDT truck forum on Escapees Discussion Forum (CLICKY HERE).

At that price point you may find a good HDT and TH available.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
We thought of the toyhauler truck idea in 2003. Decided to go with a four year old HDT (semi) and a regular 5th wheel trailer. The semi truck was modified to carry two 800 pound street motorcycles and pull our 16,000 pound 5th wheel Hitchhiker. Worked great for four years until I got burned out using the motorcycle as our main transportation. Got a car sold the motorcycles. Kept the truck because now I'm spoiled with the excellent pulling and stopped power no pickup truck will ever have.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Check this website, there are even a couple of motorhome toy haulers.

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16259414.cfm

I have been looking at the Heartland fifth wheels online too. I really like the largest Cougar, but at 43' it might limit my pick of Forest Service campgrounds. It has a side patio in addition to the rear ramp turning into a patio! There is a link in the post above.

You put a lot of trust into a F-250. It only has a 3,000 pound cargo rating, while the fifth wheels you are looking at might have 2,500 pin weight, and you need to take into account the hitch will come on a 150 pallet.

I would recommend the F-350 dually as a minimum. It has a 5,500 pound weight rating. . .

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

pjzocc
Explorer
Explorer
Rule of thumb - if the 5er has 3 axles you need a 1-ton.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
soaring360 wrote:

-------Truck-------

I will wait a few months after purchasing the toy hauler to decide on the proper truck. iff you have inputs on that too please share your thoughts on that too. I think an F-350 would be a proper choice for an 18k lb toy hauler but if I can get by with an F-250 that’s what I would prefer to save on cost and gas....

Bwaahaaa

Large TH 5ers tend to be -very- hitch heavy. That would blow through the GVW rating of an F250.

There is no fuel cost, and little purchase cost difference between an F250 and F350.

But, again the weight of the pin could push you into an DRW F350.

The biggest TH 5ers require an F450

Going to the composting toilet, if you are looking at staying at campgrounds, why bother? They may be a good idea where you can't dump the waste, but otherwise changing from a conventional toilet/blackwater tank would be a waste of money.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.