cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PO'd Rv owner

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
Right now, I'm sitting here totally pissed off with Rv manufacturers. Last year while driving from the west coast to Toronto and back I had 2 major tire blowouts. This year, I'm planning on a longer trip. East. south, west and then north. So, I decided I needed 4 new tires for my Fifth wheel. I start my research online and talking with tire stores. I also check the forums here. I was a noob before I started this search. No longer. My Montana fifth wheel That max weight is 16,000lbs was delivered with Goodyear Marathon tires rated at 3000lbs. x 4 = 12,000lbs. So, this trailer was destined to fail. The blowouts were inevitable. Do these manufacturers not care one iota about the lives of the people who give them their money. I don't know how they can get away with this. I've only found two tires that would work on my trailer, both 14ply. Sailun and Samson. Sorry, rant over.
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy
44 REPLIES 44

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMO the Michelins and Sailuns are not direct competitors. One is an "E" rated at about 3,000 lbs., and the other is "G" rated at over 4,000 lbs. So really price doesn't enter into it too much between the two.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running Michelins on my Tv but they are really pricey, A lot more than the Sailuns.
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
phillyg wrote:
oldschoolhdmike wrote:
no one running michelins?......

I've heard of some folks running XPS Ribs but I think they're rather expensive.

The Bridgestone Duravis R250 is a near-identical tire and quite a bit cheaper than the Michelins...for that application.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
oldschoolhdmike wrote:
no one running michelins? thats are we use to run on our big rigs. of course not sure if they make that model in the size of my rv but i run michelins on all my vehicles
Michelins wouldn't solve the OP's original problem of being on the ragged edge of not enough carrying capacity with his tires. Michelins have their place, but not in this application.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
oldschoolhdmike wrote:
no one running michelins?......

I've heard of some folks running XPS Ribs but I think they're rather expensive.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

oldschoolhdmike
Explorer
Explorer
no one running michelins? thats are we use to run on our big rigs. of course not sure if they make that model in the size of my rv but i run michelins on all my vehicles

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Rygar, Welcome to the world of rv's! Most manufacturers put in the minimum components....frame, axles, tires,ect. They sell them because...we continue to buy them. The Japanese improved the U.S. auto industry,maybe (one day) someone will do the same in the RV Industry!

Do a lot of research, crawl in,under,and through at lot rv's....and then pray!

Best of Luck! It's a frustrating journey...but not impossible!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Rygar wrote:
...Do these manufacturers not care one iota about the lives of the people who give them their money. I don't know how they can get away with this. ...

You, and your families life and safety are YOUR responsibility.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
My experiences on 15 years of rving is smart folks can be brain dead about their tires. Neighbor tried to air his MH tires but on inside rear would not take air.

7 " rip in the sidewall. Next season on a tire discussion he was telling he never heard the tire blow driving though Phoenix on I-10. He forgot he had said never knew it had blown. So this is just an example.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
Upgrade to a 17.5" wheel and tire combo. I did it 2 years ago and it was no more than the cost of replacing the 16" LT tires that I had on there. Now I am good for 6005 pounds per wheel and tire.

What measurements do you need to make to be sure the 17.5 wheel will fit with rubbing? I have a 2005 32 FKS Carriage Compass Travel Trailer. I want to upgrade to a larger wheel so I can us the same LT tires I use on my TV. This way my TV spare will be available as a TT spare.

Weight capacity is the most important thing to check. Wheels would be different possibly also. The 17.5 tires talked about in this post are ST tires, not LTs. Didn't realize they made a 17.5 LT tire, if they do the weight rating probably won't be enough to have an advantage.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
Upgrade to a 17.5" wheel and tire combo. I did it 2 years ago and it was no more than the cost of replacing the 16" LT tires that I had on there. Now I am good for 6005 pounds per wheel and tire.

I recommended that also in another post where the OP was needing new tires because of a blowout and was told it was a waste of money going that route. Personally, I think its a great idea just to have the extra piece of mind! Like others have posted, all tires are venerable to road hazards especially curbing hazards. My next toy hauler will have 17.5 tires and wheels, if not worked into the deal, I'll be visiting a tire shop soon after I get home with it!!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
eHoefler wrote:

6005# per wheel ? My Goodyear G114's that are 17.5 are rated at 4800#

And to the OP... like many have stated, PIN WEIGHT . . . The tires are at capacity as they roll out of the factory, NOT OVERLOADED..

Glad you switched to the Sailuns....

Roadmaster RM170

http://roadmastertires.com/by-position/steer.aspx
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

eHoefler wrote:

6005# per wheel ? My Goodyear G114's that are 17.5 are rated at 4800#

And to the OP... like many have stated, PIN WEIGHT . . . The tires are at capacity as they roll out of the factory, NOT OVERLOADED..

Glad you switched to the Sailuns....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Rygar wrote:
Right now, I'm sitting here totally pissed off with Rv manufacturers. Last year while driving from the west coast to Toronto and back I had 2 major tire blowouts. This year, I'm planning on a longer trip. East. south, west and then north. So, I decided I needed 4 new tires for my Fifth wheel. I start my research online and talking with tire stores. I also check the forums here. I was a noob before I started this search. No longer. My Montana fifth wheel That max weight is 16,000lbs was delivered with Goodyear Marathon tires rated at 3000lbs. x 4 = 12,000lbs. So, this trailer was destined to fail. The blowouts were inevitable. Do these manufacturers not care one iota about the lives of the people who give them their money. I don't know how they can get away with this. I've only found two tires that would work on my trailer, both 14ply. Sailun and Samson. Sorry, rant over.

You are likely only traveling at about 12,800 with max load. Pin weight is not included in the axle/tires capacities, probably lower.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76