cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

portable deck with stairs

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
I found 2 sites that have portable deck with stairs. I understand the loss of storage for it. But does anyone use this? My wife and I are have a little trouble with the stairs on the 5th wheel and looking for a better option.

Seems there was a 5th wheel that had a slideout deck. I would love that.
19 REPLIES 19

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
disregard this post, I tried to post a picture but couldn't get it to work

Jim

[img][/img]
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
Ropdoc wrote:
JEBar wrote:
know the distance from the bottom of your camper's door to the ground Jim

That distance changes allot due to various slopes we park on. Will that be an issue?

Dave

there are two, easily adjustable, legs attached to the bottom step .... they allow for using the steps and/or deck on unlevel ground .... he needs to know the distance and how you plan to attach them to camper so as to advise if a 4 or 5 step unit is best

Jim
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
know the distance from the bottom of your camper's door to the ground Jim

That distance changes allot due to various slopes we park on. Will that be an issue?

Dave

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
I bought the plans

I apologize, I did not mean for you to sell something that is not yours to sell. I am a Mechanical designer and I am constantly designing something. I would be angry if someone shared my work without permission. Thank you for pointing that out.

Dave

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
Ropdoc wrote:
JEBar wrote:
it works better for us if we mount them on the camper's second step, instead of the top step .... Jim

That is an excelent idea. We just purchased the 5er, but when money is available I think I will go after this set.

Thank you,
Dave

if you purchase the Port-A-Steps and later want to add the deck, all you need to do is buy the deck .... the steps are the same .... if/when you call Gary to place your order, know the distance from the bottom of your camper's door to the ground .... with that info he can recommend which steps would best meet your needs

Jim
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
it works better for us if we mount them on the camper's second step, instead of the top step .... Jim

That is an excelent idea. We just purchased the 5er, but when money is available I think I will go after this set.

Thank you,
Dave

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
What makes that porta step nice is the little porch at the entrance door.
Don

when overnighting we don't set up our Port-A-Deck but may or may not use the steps .... we've found that it works better for us if we mount them on the camper's second step, instead of the top step .... the reason being if we mount it on the top step it is a bit tricky to try and stand on the small deck an open the door .... with it mounted on the second step you have a nice, very sturdy platform on which to stand when you are unlocking and opening the door

Jim
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
What makes that porta step nice is the little porch at the entrance door.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

jody_h
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of porta steps. To me and the DW they are worth every cent. It takes about min and a half to set up and take down. Stores in front of the tail gate and behind the 5er hitch.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab
2004 Flagstaff 8524RK

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
lat471 wrote:
We have the Hoffman deck and stairs. A bit pricey but they are amazing. We bought them when my mother in law had a stroke and had difficulty getting in and out of the 5er. Now were not onsite any more and I'll have to sell them. But if I was going back to a seasonal site they would be my first choice. Sturdy and portable.
http://www.hofmannccr.com/
The Hoffman is the one I really wanted to get, but I couldn't manage the expense. I'm curious as to how much you're selling yours for?
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

lat471
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Hoffman deck and stairs. A bit pricey but they are amazing. We bought them when my mother in law had a stroke and had difficulty getting in and out of the 5er. Now were not onsite any more and I'll have to sell them. But if I was going back to a seasonal site they would be my first choice. Sturdy and portable.
http://www.hofmannccr.com/
07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
Ropdoc wrote:
ngreen wrote:
stefon, you ought to go in business
I agree ... BUT are you willing to share the plans first? I really like how you did that.

A friend of ours was coming out of there 5th wheel and missed the handle and fell from the top step. Shattered her wrist and gave her a concusion. I worry about my wife all the time because she is accident prone. That is why I am looking.

Dave
I bought the plans for the steps from Wayne Thomas in Texas. He designed the staircase, as shown in this Youtube video (CLICKY).

He charged $25 for the plans, which I think was quite reasonable. It would be immoral of me to reproduce the plans without compensating the inventor. He's a really nice guy, and can make a drawing for any height or number of steps you require.

The deck section I made myself (as you can tell from the slightly less elegant construction). I'm happy to share the details of that item.

I like the Port-A-Deck that JEBar linked to, but I don't have $1,200.00 laying around that I don't need. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm thinking of adding a railing next.
understood on the cost .... ours cost $1,050 which included the deck, steps, and shipping from Texas to NC .... the wooden steps really look nice and I have no doubt they are solid .... how have you found it best to shim them when they are placed on ground which isn't level .... is the lumber pressure treated to handle moisture

Jim
I took them out for their inaugural "shakedown" trip last weekend. They'll be used for 10 days next month at a festival, where they'll be set up in a field. Prior to that trip, they will be painted and/or stained. I did not use pressure treated lumber because (A) I don't want it to make my RV's basement stink, and (B) it tends to warp and twist over time. The steps and deck are solid enough that they don't move, shake or wobble when I step my 300 pound frame onto them.

I plan to deal with unlevel ground through a combination of shimming and digging. I'm also going to remove the last step by cutting it off level with the fourth step. This way, I'll be stepping up into the trailer instead of being level with the threshold. The current deck height is causing me to slam my 6'5" forehead into the top of my 6' RV door.

DW, at 5'2", has no such problem. She supports the modification in order to reduce the likelihood that I'll suffer a concussion and brain damage. As she puts it, "I love you honey, but you're not nearly rich or good-looking enough to get away with being stupid."

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
Ropdoc wrote:
ngreen wrote:

I agree ... BUT are you willing to share the plans first? I really like how you did that.

A friend of ours was coming out of there 5th wheel and missed the handle and fell from the top step. Shattered her wrist and gave her a concusion. I worry about my wife all the time because she is accident prone. That is why I am looking.

Dave
I bought the plans for the steps from Wayne Thomas in Texas. He designed the staircase, as shown in this Youtube video (CLICKY).

He charged $25 for the plans, which I think was quite reasonable. It would be immoral of me to reproduce the plans without compensating the inventor. He's a really nice guy, and can make a drawing for any height or number of steps you require.

The deck section I made myself (as you can tell from the slightly less elegant construction). I'm happy to share the details of that item.

I like the Port-A-Deck that JEBar linked to, but I don't have $1,200.00 laying around that I don't need. ๐Ÿ™‚

understood on the cost .... ours cost $1,050 which included the deck, steps, and shipping from Texas to NC .... the wooden steps really look nice and I have no doubt they are solid .... how have you found it best to shim them when they are placed on ground which isn't level .... is the lumber pressure treated to handle moisture

Jim
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Ropdoc wrote:
ngreen wrote:

Dave