cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable porch

bgoat64
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to locate an affordable and portable porch for use with my Outback Sideny Edition 5th wheel. Has anybody made one from scratch? MY DW has arthritus in her feet and legs and has had both knees replaced along with major foot surgey and therfore has a hard time getting in and out of our 5th wheel. I've made mods inside the camper to help her getting up to the bedroom: replaced the single step with 2 steps and put handcap bars on each side of the indide steps. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
24 REPLIES 24

mbrule
Explorer
Explorer
Ex-Tech wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I have often thought about removing my pull out steps and designing an 8'X8' porch that would slide out like a drawer from under the 5er. I have just never got around to doing it. I would also change the swing on the door because mine is so close to the slide it would be better to have the hinge side on the side next to the slide.

Ya' mean like this one that I built?

Sorry quoted the wrong post above.

I like this setup and love more detail about how you built and how it works!

Thanks

mbrule
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:
Depending on the room you have, the Glendale Titanium had a "Bug Room" option that had a 7'X7'(Approximate) slide out from under the trailer. Ours was on the back and had a sliding glass door to access the platform and a cap that was hinged on the top with support poles in the outside corners. There was a screen that zipped into the cap and attached to the slide out by velcro.

Glendale is no longer in business but Mory's RV in Canada bought a lot of their left over stock.

Very Nice!

I would love more detail about how you built it and how it works!

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Patent number please?
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

James1980
Explorer
Explorer
Portable porches

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
Duck wrote:
JEBar wrote:
as noted in this thread, we have ordered a Port-A-Deck which we believe should arrive sometime next week .... the standard deck is 3' X 4' .... it is designed so that you can mate up multiple sections so as to make the deck about any size you wish .... I like the way it can be assembled and disassembled without tools and the legs of the deck can be individually adjusted to accommodate unlevel sites

Jim

Please post back with your opinion after setting up and taken down.
Don

will do

Jim

our Port-A-Deck arrived today .... I've already posted comments in this thread .... bottom line, we are well pleased with the quality, strength, stability, and design of the Port-A-Deck .... I can't post pictures on this form but would be happy to email them

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
JEBar wrote:
as noted in this thread, we have ordered a Port-A-Deck which we believe should arrive sometime next week .... the standard deck is 3' X 4' .... it is designed so that you can mate up multiple sections so as to make the deck about any size you wish .... I like the way it can be assembled and disassembled without tools and the legs of the deck can be individually adjusted to accommodate unlevel sites

Jim

Don

in response to a couple of PM's, our Port-A-Deck hasn't arrived .... we expect it most any day, will post comments thereafter .... I don't store picture at some internet site so I can't post pictures ...will be posting some elsewhere and would be happy to provide a link

Jim

On Edit : earlier today 4-1-14 (no fool'n :W ) I received a call from Gary Holley (the fellow who owns Port-A-Deck) saying our deck/steps were shipped today and per UPS should be delivered on Monday
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
JEBar wrote:

Jim

Don

will do

Jim
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:

Jim

Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer

Jim
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

bgoat64
Explorer
Explorer
oldcountryboy:
I am very interested in the deck that you built. It sounds like it could very well be the solution that I am looking for. Could you post more details about it: hight, width, thickness of metal, how many steps, how is the deck attached to your RV, how are the steps attached to the deck. Where did you get the materials, approximate costs of materials? Is it welded or bolted together or a combination of both, is the height adjustable? Please post pics of the deck.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
MPI_Mallard wrote:
Dog Folks, They do weigh a bit but not too much for an average man to handle mostly their bulky and Frau Blücher lends a hand, I believe they are a standard 7-8" rise which we feel very comfortable and I think would be good for older folks also with the addition of the fold-out handrail I feel they work great. as we go pin to pin I built two sets to avoid taking them apart but with the help of a chordless deriver they simply unscrew and mine sit in front of my hitch against my tool box and assembly is only fifteen minutes and they are pretty easy to get into position, after three seasons I'm very happy with them and it's funny while were in transit ho crappy the folding steps really are!

Red Green:
They say necessity is the mother of invention. Don't know who the father is;
probably remorse.

Thanks much for the info.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks, They do weigh a bit but not too much for an average man to handle mostly their bulky and Frau Blücher lends a hand, I believe they are a standard 7-8" rise which we feel very comfortable and I think would be good for older folks also with the addition of the fold-out handrail I feel they work great. as we go pin to pin I built two sets to avoid taking them apart but with the help of a chordless deriver they simply unscrew and mine sit in front of my hitch against my tool box and assembly is only fifteen minutes and they are pretty easy to get into position, after three seasons I'm very happy with them and it's funny while were in transit ho crappy the folding steps really are!

Red Green:
They say necessity is the mother of invention. Don't know who the father is;
probably remorse.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

oldcountryboy
Explorer
Explorer
I just completed building an aluminum deck for my Vizion. The deck is a 4'x4' with 4 treads 40" long, approx 7" rise on each. It could be disassembled if needed. I carry it as 2 parts, the platform and the steps. Made out of 2"x10" bleacher planks and aluminum angle irons. I will get to try it all out next week when we take the rv out.

I'll attach pics when I figure out how. New to this forum.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
MPI_Mallard wrote:
I saw this on u-tube and as a master carpenter I was pretty impressed by this stepClick and I bet you can get one built for a case of suds somewhere by a bored carpenter, I myself built thisbuilt from two five-step pre-cut stringers and five 36" 2x12" treads cut for me at Home Depot, under the top tread I put a 2x4" on edge across so I could put two 1-1/2" wood screws up through the under-side of the top folding tread to secure the steps, when I leave I simply pull the screws and the whole thing sits nicely in front of my hitch and tool box,,eazy peezy!

As I may be in need soon:

How much do your steps weigh?

Other then the top step for screw access, does it all stay in one piece or breakdown?

What is the rise between steps?

Thanks in advance.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006