Explorer
Explorer
hi all does anyone carry a portable grey tank and where do you carry it thanks
25 REPLIES 25

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
PA12DRVR wrote:
Like others, I used a 35 gallon blue tote kept behind the hitch and strapped in. I purchased a 4-wheel model and spent an afternoon with Lowes materials revamping it to bigger wheels, different handle, etc so that I could pull it behind the truck if the dump station was any distance from the campsite.

Happy to report the new models come from the factory with upgraded rubber wheels. No need to do your own upgrade anymore.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
OK, just for claification. I know I'm dumb (ask my wife) but when you guys say you store the tank behind the hitch, are you putting it between the hitch and the tailgate? or between the cab and the hitch? or does it make a diference?
I understand the tying it down part, I've seen levitation tricks back there.
I don't think it matters as long as you have it when you get to the campground:h. To me behind the hitch means between the hitch and the tailgate.

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 22 gallon blue tank that stores in my front compartment along with a separate short hose. Mine has rubber wheels so it doesn't alert the entire campground that I am dragging my hmmmm stuff to the dump station. Really easy and is nice at COE federal parks.

I also carry in the same place a 5 gallon plastic fresh water jug that I bought at Walmart. Sometimes I need to drain just about 5 gallons to get me by another day or one more shower. The 5 gallon size is manageable without wheels and is easy on the budget. It also doesn't take up much room for a seldom used item. I use a drain cover with a garden hose fitting to hook up a 12 inch hose for the 5 gallon jug. I use it more than the 22 gallon blue tote.

I carry and use both. Worthwhile items to have on board.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
42 gal Barker in the back of the truck behind the hitch. 55 gal water tank in front of the hitch.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Yep got two, only need one , happy-camping. On the back ladder,

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
OK, just for claification. I know I'm dumb (ask my wife) but when you guys say you store the tank behind the hitch, are you putting it between the hitch and the tailgate? or between the cab and the hitch? or does it make a diference?
I understand the tying it down part, I've seen levitation tricks back there.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

SpencerRB
Explorer
Explorer
mobilcastle wrote:
SpencerRB wrote:
Happy Prospector wrote:
mobilcastle wrote:
I have a 45 gal bladder tank that lays in my truck bed and a small 12 volt pump. Pump it in and drive to dump it. No lifting or pulling-cheaper than most totes. Stores in a 6" round plastic pipe about 4' long.

Mobilecastle, where did you get your 45 gallon bladder tank for waste dumping?

I assume he is referring to the 45 Gallon water bladder that CW sells. CW Link

I have one of these for fresh water, but I'd be a little concerned transporting grey or black water in one in case it sprung a leak in the truck during transport.
Sorry, I just picked this up. I bought the one in this link but from a different company. I cannot remimber there name but it was about $30 cheaper. I only haul gray water in it and it works great. I bought a 12volt pump from Harbor freight and wired a switch into it to control on and off while watching it fill or discharge. If it sprung a leak in the bed of my truck it would not be a major disaster. I also carry it in my truck bed-the bladder.pump I say each to his own. I don't want to lift or drag a tote.

My concern was more directed towards carrying black water in it than grey. Their storage size is hard to beat. Folds down to the size of a brick!
2010 Newmar Dutch Star
2013 VW Golf R

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
SpencerRB wrote:
Happy Prospector wrote:
mobilcastle wrote:
I have a 45 gal bladder tank that lays in my truck bed and a small 12 volt pump. Pump it in and drive to dump it. No lifting or pulling-cheaper than most totes. Stores in a 6" round plastic pipe about 4' long.

I have one of these for fresh water, but I'd be a little concerned transporting grey or black water in one in case it sprung a leak in the truck during transport.
Sorry, I just picked this up. I bought the one in this link but from a different company. I cannot remimber there name but it was about $30 cheaper. I only haul gray water in it and it works great. I bought a 12volt pump from Harbor freight and wired a switch into it to control on and off while watching it fill or discharge. If it sprung a leak in the bed of my truck it would not be a major disaster. I also carry it in my truck bed-the bladder.pump I say each to his own. I don't want to lift or drag a tote.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
In a storage compartment of our 5er. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

SpencerRB
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
mobilcastle wrote:

2010 Newmar Dutch Star
2013 VW Golf R

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of those several years ago, used it once at home, then realized that nearly all of the campgrounds we went to were either full hookup or had no dump station.
After it gathered dust under the shop workbench for about 5 years, I sold it in a rummage sale.
I'm just glad I realized there were no dump stations before I filled the thing! That would be a really bad thing, to have that thing full and no place to dump it!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
mobilcastle wrote:

Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like what I saw at one camp site where this guy had his portable tank sitting in the back of his truck. When empty they dont weigh much... He had a hose attached to it and uses it with his Mecrator flow jet portable water pump. His only comment was to be sure the portable tank is always bigger than the trailer tank hehe...

He can dump his tanks into the 30 gallon portable tank in the back of his truck and then haul it to the dump site. Using the same attached hose it will gravity flow into the camp ground dump site.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts on this subject search this Forum for `blue tote'?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)