cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with B&W Hitch

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Just pulled in to my campsite and tried to release my B&W 18K Patriot hitch and it will not free the pin. I must have damaged the mechanism as the release bar will pull back BUT the jaws stay fixed on the pin. I tried a gentle "push back and pull forward" but no go. I am dead level and straight and did take pressure off with extended front legs. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance. P.S. I am waiting a call back from a local RV Doc but I likely need a "hitch" service.
73 REPLIES 73

bshgto1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
The issues reported with the B&W hitch, with one exception that I know of, are directly attributed to user error. The hitch itself is bulletproof and works a treat.

If a hitch is so designed that it becomes difficult to use or conditions have to be near prefect to get it to connect or release you prolly should look else where. There are to many options available now that eliminate all of the hassles associated with ones Wonder hitch and you don`t need a pin box catch on your hitch to save you from flattening your bed. I had my fill of the off center and out of level connections problems the last time I used my fifth wheel plate type hitch and moved to something more current.
2018.5 Montana 3791 Rear Den
Electric brakes suck Disk brakes it`s the only way
Andersen Ultimate on the pucks, 5th AirBorne Mor/ryde SRE 4000 X Factors....real smooth ride
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7 Top Dog 5595 payload

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"This is not the first time we have had people report issues with the B&W, and it won't be the last."

Issues??? If you use the second hole to pin the handle open to pull away there will never be an "issue" as you say.

I don't do it that way.

Yes, its an issue, design problem or whatever, and yes this was not the first, and it won't be the last.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The issues reported with the B&W hitch, with one exception that I know of, are directly attributed to user error. The hitch itself is bulletproof and works a treat.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"This is not the first time we have had people report issues with the B&W, and it won't be the last."

Issues??? If you use the second hole to pin the handle open to pull away there will never be an "issue" as you say.

I don't do it that way.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bshgto1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote

I have had my Companion be recalcitrant a couple times and it was because the hitch wasn't either completely unloaded, or it was a slight angle and not unloaded that way.

If the weight is off the hitch, try pulling forward just a touch and pull the handle. Sometimes a little forward/backward load on the hitch will help the jaws release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

With an Andersen Ultimate you wouldn`t have any of these issues to deal with. In the pouring rain.

Thats a fact there, a friend just dumped his Superglide for the Andersen. He was tired of playing games with it to release, everything had to be just right, not too much of an angle, the weight off of it just right etc etc.

With the Andersen its raise the fifth wheel till the ball clears , and away you go, makes no difference what angle or position truck or trailer is in.

This is not the first time we have had people report issues with the B&W, and it won't be the last. I do admit my 18K Reese signature slider has worked flawlessly the 9 years I have used it, if not for the need of the Andersen, I would still be using it, although I still have it ,and still may use it on certain trips.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bswan wrote:
I have a B&W Companion hitch on a 2018 RAM 3500 DRW that has the factory air bag. When I first started using the new setup the factory air bags would raise the truck as the 5th wheel landing gear took the pin weight off. This made it difficult to release the hitch from the camper. I now leave the driverside door open and the factory air bags no longer fight me in my disconnecting process. I do love those factory air bags, This is just fyi in case someone has a similar issue.

Go into settings. Hit suspension, then tire jack mode. The trucks air ride system will not move.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
:R Slow learner. (Not the OP BTW)
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bshgto1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote

I have had my Companion be recalcitrant a couple times and it was because the hitch wasn't either completely unloaded, or it was a slight angle and not unloaded that way.

If the weight is off the hitch, try pulling forward just a touch and pull the handle. Sometimes a little forward/backward load on the hitch will help the jaws release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

With an Andersen Ultimate you wouldn`t have any of these issues to deal with. In the pouring rain.
2018.5 Montana 3791 Rear Den
Electric brakes suck Disk brakes it`s the only way
Andersen Ultimate on the pucks, 5th AirBorne Mor/ryde SRE 4000 X Factors....real smooth ride
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7 Top Dog 5595 payload

bswan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a B&W Companion hitch on a 2018 RAM 3500 DRW that has the factory air bag. When I first started using the new setup the factory air bags would raise the truck as the 5th wheel landing gear took the pin weight off. This made it difficult to release the hitch from the camper. I now leave the driverside door open and the factory air bags no longer fight me in my disconnecting process. I do love those factory air bags, This is just fyi in case someone has a similar issue.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
GMH wrote:
I have only had my B&W companion one year but I like it. Glad to hear long time owners are still happy with it!

Lucky you started out right but then again there is something about starting with someone else's POS THEN getting a B&W that really makes you appreciate the B&W!!!

I had a cheap Reese in my '06 Chevy but went to the B&W when I bought my '17 F250. What a difference! NO clunking or chucking at all now.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GMH wrote:
I have only had my B&W companion one year but I like it. Glad to hear long time owners are still happy with it!

Lucky you started out right but then again there is something about starting with someone else's POS THEN getting a B&W that really makes you appreciate the B&W!!!

GMH
Explorer
Explorer

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I will say, with a dually it is a pain to reach far enough to get the pin in the other hole. It would be a big improvement to have an easier method to lock/unlock the coupler arm. "

Never have used the other hole to pin the handle open. This step will make it much easier.

Even with a single wheel I have difficulty reaching the handle and the pin. I use a step ladder and actually get in the truck if I have to.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been using my B&W for over 10 years with no issues. If this one were lost, stolen, or damaged I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned it’s designed to release at some point. Good design IMHO.