cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems with buying 3-1/2 hours away

I don't think I'm missing anything here.... Looking to possibly upgrade the 5'r and been working with a guy about 3-1/2 hrs away.. Met him a few times before , almost got our recent trailer from him 7years ago...

I wanted to buy from him last time , but the guy 1 hr away matched the number , so we did that... Hated his service.... KZ has always told us that the 3-1/2 hr dealer is one of their best in the country... Been telling us that since we visited the plant a few years ago... I see no issues , am I missing something??

The are 3 dealers near me... 1 is 1hr 15 mins west... 1 is 1hr 15 mins south/west.. And he is 3-1/2 hrs north ...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
32 REPLIES 32

cmsm
Explorer
Explorer
The last trailer we bought was 28 hours from home. We talked to the manufacturer before making the deal & they said if there is a warranty issue, call us & we will tell you where to take it. No problems.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Most all of the rvs that I have purchased new have been a 4 hr drive from my home. I make plans to stay in the area for 3 or 4 days to check and run everything. I make a handshake deal with the dealer that they would take care of any problems that I found the same day I brought it in. Has worked good for me son far.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I bought from a dealer about 3 1/2 hours away also. I wanted to buy closer to home but had to trade where I was saving a lot of money.
Had to take the 5th wheels back 3 or 4 times. Sometimes they didn't have all the parts and had to order, another trip. At that time it took about $100 worth of fuel for the trip, warranty work but it cost for the fuel.
But finally we made a camping trip out of it. There was a campground close by so we would camp there and run it over to the dealer during the day, while they worked we shopped, messed around town.
Not to back if you spend a night or two camping out of the deal.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I refuse to cow tow to the "local" stealer.

I live in central IL and bought from a dealer half way up on the east side of lake Michigan. Saved a pile of money, and got a good new rig with great support to boot. However i do small things myself.

There was absolutely no issue with buying in MI and registering in IL.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
jrs1871 wrote:
We drove 6 hours to get our last one. Closest dealer was 2 1/2 hours away but I wouldn't have gotten it there if they gave it to us. Absolutely horrible sales dept. and have heard service is no better. Because of distance involved, we had an agreement that any warranty issues, preauthorized, could be done by local independent RV repair shop. So check out that possibility if you buy from distant dealer.

Since you don't allow PM's, can you tell me who to avoid? Thanks.

Thanks all!!! Going up Saturday to see the 2 that are on the lot and get all the factory order sheets filled out properly..

Will than go to the Oaks RV show the next weekend for 1 last look before placing the order ( make sure we did not miss anything) .. I will call the dealer and give the ok probably on the way home from the RV show...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
There is no debate if there is no local dealer available. The only choice is to travel. However 31/2 hours vs. a local dealer gives one reason to pause to consider options.
My thought is travel if necessary but give local guy a chance to come close on price. If local guy won't deal take the drive.
Be sure to do a thorough PDI and hope you do not have to return to the selling dealer repeatedly
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Only 3 hours away, I am looking at one 18 hours away!!!!!!!! All good advice so far just want to wish you luck in your decision.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two of the brands I would be interested in have no dealers close to me. To me it would be more important to get what I want then the proximity of the dealer.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
I'd go with who ever made the best price, and you felt has the best service. In reality, Unless you really get a lemon. It shouldn't have to go back more than once. I have had 2 new TTs. Both had to go back only once for warranty work, and one of them was recalled.
As for as the local guy doing the service. Yes they will. They will do what they get paid for. No matter where you bought it.

My only caution about buying far away. Make sure the dealer is in the same state. Easier to tag, and title is in the same state you live in.

Agree with almost all TA had to say.

And - 3 1/2 hours away is right in "your backyard"!..;)

Dozens of dealers closer than the one where I purchased my new 5th, which was 1260 miles away!

The Jayco I purchased had a 2 year warranty.
I had no concerns about taking it to a different (closer) dealer *if* necessary.
But - never needed any warranty work of any kind.
Yep - *I* replaced a door glide myself - about 5 minutes and $2.50.

Dealer in the same state? Nope.
No big deal to register in my "home" state.
(No add'l charges & very EZ to do that).

*My* preference:
Find the best deal on what you want -"far and wide".
If a dealer closer to you will meet that deal - or come close enough to get your business - great!
If not - it's just another camping trip after you pick it up.

BTW - even "camped" in the dealer's lot for two nights, to see if everything was OK.
Then stayed in a local campground for a week for "outfitting" and fun.
Would do it all again - including the dealer 1260 miles away......
after comparing prices, that is..:W

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My local dealer is 45 minutes away. The local guy is adequate not great but adequate. The next dealer is 31/2 hours away. The far away dealer is fantastic however 31/2 hours is too far to drive for service.
In the end I purchased from the local guy.
My rig has been good and never need to go in for warranty work. The few issues I had I fixed my self with parts supplied by the factory and the local dealer.
In the end I would try to work something out locally , but if the local guys don't want to deal don't hesitate to take the drive. Don't be blackmailed by warranty service. There are independents and alternatives available to get warranty service. If you buy out of state be sure to have an extra thorough PDI.
Consider staying in the area a few days to ensure everything works.

Even if the service is free driving 31/2 hours is going to cost me at least $100.00 out of pocket. In my case buying local worked out. My local dealer did match the out of town price.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

MO_Trout_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, done that. Would never do it again, especially for a new rig.
2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
So , is anyone using a non selling dealer for warranty work?
I use a independent for service. I fix small things myself.

AKF15E
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked ours up yesterday from a dealer 3 hours away. Went with him based on price and reputation. Spent the night at a nearby campground and went through everything with a fine toothed comb, powered up everything, slides in/out multiple times, etc. Found only 2 minor issues (couldn't believe that given my previous rigs' first few days). Stopped by this morning and they had a tech stop what he was doing and fix the issues and we were in and out in one hour and on our way home. The dealer also has a great relationship with the manufacturer (they named a rig after the town it's in), which I think is important too. Of course, other things will go wrong in coming months I am sure, but unless they are things that will stop me from using the rig, I'll live with it until I can go drop my rig off at this dealer, as I am certain I'll get better service than around here. So I'd say, go with what you r gut instinct seems to be telling you and make the drive and stay a night or two to check over the rig closely.
AKF15E
Goldsboro, NC

2011 GMC Sierra SLT 3500HD DRW, CC, Duramax, 4x4, Curt 20K hitch

2015 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

2020 Forest River Wolfpack 365Pack16 Toyhauler with a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture in the garage