cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tanks 10 years old, what is best choice ???

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi, My propane tanks on 5er are 10 years old, do I leave them as is, replace them, recertify them or what, not sure, not having any problems with them, where we go camping often they never check the date on them as they refill them, not even a scratch on the paint any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Art
31 REPLIES 31

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just go to a propane dealer and get them recertified.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Check the local propane vendors, I don't mean the cylinder swappers. One of them will do certifications and such. We got our tanks re-certified and since we got the tanks filled they didn't charge us for the service. No matter what it's cheaper than a new tanks.
Where I worked we had gas cylinders dating back to WWI, yes one. Re-certified every 10 years and in fine shape.
We have 2 100# tanks made by skellygas build dated in 1937 and 1941. No problem refilling them. Their tare weight is over 86# vs new tanks tare at 72#
Thats a lot thicker steel.
For our 20 & 30 # tanks, Amerigas recerts (5 yr) for free when we refill with them

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I live on the salt water, and I'm lucky to get 6-7 years on my 20# propane tanks (for my BBQ). I take them to get refilled and they often say: This will be the last time. Rust is the enemy. I've found that it is cheaper to exchange the tanks than to get them re-filled and re-certified. Life is too short to remove the rust and repaint.

Besides the fixed propane tank in the MH, I carry (2) 1 gallon tanks for the BBQ, fire-pit, etc., and they do not seem to have a problem with rust?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
When our 30 gallon tanks needed recertification both had leaking valves. The cost difference between the valve replacement and new tank, and 5 years versus 10 years, I just got new tanks.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
I take my 30s to a bilk seller. Last time I had them filled they had 1 month left before needing re-cert. They told me they would do it when I brought them back next time. I think he said $12. Of course that will be like 3 years. We just don't use much propane.

And yes they check dates. Not sure if LP tanks are the same as SCUBA, but SCUBA tanks are most likely to fail during refill.

I also have 2 other 30s I keep in the shop (bought from Amazon). He did miss them being new but was glad I told him since they have to be purged.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a bad idea to have them checked for recertification. In 2018, one of mine was found to have a slow leak around the valve. The valve was replaced and and the tank recertified.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I can't see why anybody would advise somebody to avoid a business because they want to follow SAFETY REGULATIONS enacted to protect you and the public?

You are correct, I should not have posted that. But it's not like they seize the tanks if they are out of date, they just send you on your way. Free to go to the next propane fill place. So someone determined to avoid the inspection can do so.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
My 2 30# tanks are 16 years old and visually look good. No one has even looked at the date and questioned me and still fills them. I will continue having them filled until someone says NO.
I have a small 1 gallon tank that is 20+ years old and was told last year to get it checked before filling it again. I have a new 2 gallon tank filled and ready when the old one is empty. I se these with my grill for camping.

Avoid Tractor Supply then, they seem to have a company policy demanding that the date be checked. I've filled tanks at TS at several spots across the country and they all did check.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I can't see why anybody would advise somebody to avoid a business because they want to follow SAFETY REGULATIONS enacted to protect you and the public?

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAS43 wrote:
My 2 30# tanks are 16 years old and visually look good. No one has even looked at the date and questioned me and still fills them. I will continue having them filled until someone says NO.
I have a small 1 gallon tank that is 20+ years old and was told last year to get it checked before filling it again. I have a new 2 gallon tank filled and ready when the old one is empty. I se these with my grill for camping.

Avoid Tractor Supply then, they seem to have a company policy demanding that the date be checked. I've filled tanks at TS at several spots across the country and they all did check.
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
MarkTwain wrote:
ilvtravln wrote:
Hi, My propane tanks are 10 years old, do I leave them as is, replace them, recertify them or what, not sure, not having any problems with them, where we go camping often they never check the date on them as they refill them, any input would be appreciated. Thanks

It depends on the price to recertify the tanks or the cost of a new one. I just take my tanks in for an exchange but I choose a tank that is only a few years older. You might be RVing in a location where they will not fill your tank if out of date. It could be a roll of the dice:)

I have never seen an exchange program for any tanks but 20#cylinders. And yes for 20# I just exchange it. My 30# cylinders got recertified. I see a 30# cylinder is $65 on Amazon, I'd expect recert price to be more like $10.
Superbumper

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just for clarification:

LP TANKS
ASME jurisdiction under NFPA ---- NO Recertification required
Tanks used in Motorhomes

LP Cylinders
DOT Jurisdiction ----Portable and require Recertification
Cylinders use on TC, TT, FW ---trailers
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ilvtravln wrote:
Hi, My propane tanks are 10 years old, do I leave them as is, replace them, recertify them or what, not sure, not having any problems with them, where we go camping often they never check the date on them as they refill them, any input would be appreciated. Thanks

It depends on the price to recertify the tanks or the cost of a new one. I just take my tanks in for an exchange but I choose a tank that is only a few years older. You might be RVing in a location where they will not fill your tank if out of date. It could be a roll of the dice:)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Where I worked we had gas cylinders dating back to WWI, yes one. Re-certified every 10 years and in fine shape.

I wonder if the tanks built today will last that long :@

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the local propane vendors, I don't mean the cylinder swappers. One of them will do certifications and such. We got our tanks re-certified and since we got the tanks filled they didn't charge us for the service. No matter what it's cheaper than a new tanks.
Superbumper