cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tanks on 5th wheel

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a 5th wheel and wondering - do you remove the propane canisters to refill or can it be done while they are in the trailer?
33 REPLIES 33

High5er
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
High5er wrote:
Fuel weight changes daily, trust me.
Ok.. I trust you. But I don't know why I need to.

Thank you for your trust.:D Here is a straight-forward read on propane: http://www.propane101.com/propanevolumecorrection.htm

I'm not really trying to prove anybody wrong here. Just want people to understand weight is a factor when measuring fuels.:W

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Get my tanks filled at local LP dealer that puts them on a scale. I take them out of the 5er and up to LP dealer to fill. New coach--tanks filled. Old coach not filled by dealer.

Never thought of how the trucks fill or know when full on tanks at homes. Good point.

FWIW, there is a number stamped into the collar of tank that has tare weight. If you have a scale at home, you can place tank on it to see how much it weighs above the tare weight number and that will tell you within reason how much you got left. OR just pour hot water alongside of tank to see where frost line/fuel level is.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
High5er wrote:
Fuel weight changes daily, trust me.
Ok.. I trust you. But I don't know why I need to.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Temperature does not affect mass... only volume.

My cylinders do seem to take on more volume when the bleed screw is used aggressively.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came filled when I bought my 5er couple years ago. How would you do a PDI if they were empty?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

FSJPat
Explorer
Explorer
At my old station in VA they did it by gallons. They had a scale (old and rusted), and when I asked the guy if he was going to weigh the bottles, he just laughed and said they haven't weighed bottles in years.

My new station in WA charges by liquid gallon also.
2013 Bighorn 3370RK
2008 Ford F450
Full timin' and loving life.

High5er
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
High5er wrote:
Those old school sliding weight scales also work in all climates where moderns scales would freeze up in places like Minnesota. Just MHO ๐Ÿ™‚
The old school comment implied that dispensing by volume was old school. It's on page 1. I'm pretty sure meters came along way after scales.

Of course I could have completely misunderstood his comment.

Fuel weight changes daily, trust me. I did this stuff for living. Maybe this will help: ๐Ÿ™‚ https://www.orangecoat.com/the-truth-about-filling-20-lb-bbq-grill-propane-tanks

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
High5er wrote:
Those old school sliding weight scales also work in all climates where moderns scales would freeze up in places like Minnesota. Just MHO ๐Ÿ™‚
The old school comment implied that dispensing by volume was old school. It's on page 1. I'm pretty sure meters came along way after scales.

Of course I could have completely misunderstood his comment.

High5er
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
bpounds wrote:
. They use a meter that measures gallons. And the bleed valve tells them when liquid has reached the top. Old school? I still by gas by the gallon.
I don't understand the old school comment either. The last time I got filled by weight the guy used a scale that looked like something from the 1800s.

I believe that fuel changes weight depending on the temperature. Even aircraft are fueled by weight, (not gallons). Those old school sliding weight scales also work in all climates where moderns scales would freeze up in places like Minnesota. Just MHO ๐Ÿ™‚

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
bpounds wrote:
. They use a meter that measures gallons. And the bleed valve tells them when liquid has reached the top. Old school? I still by gas by the gallon.
I don't understand the old school comment either. The last time I got filled by weight the guy used a scale that looked like something from the 1800s.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
You guys that think weight is the only way to fill the tanks, just haven't thought it through. How does the propane truck weigh their product when they fill stationary tanks? Or when propane fueled cars fillup, how do they weigh how much was dispensed?

Answer? They don't. They use a meter that measures gallons. And the bleed valve tells them when liquid has reached the top. Old school? I still by gas by the gallon.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
This. What I was told by the propane service I use is that they pressure test new tanks with water and they never get all of it out so if you don't purge the first time the two liquids separate and the water can cause rust damage on the inside.

They keep a few bad examples at the pump to show customers what not to do, the other point he made is the plastic wrappers they put on the exchange bottles, he said it's a great place for condensation and then surface rust, the wrapper says to leave it on but the man says to take it off.

New tanks have to be purged correctly ONCE, then filled with propane by weight.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Many times the propane 'cylinders' are shipped filled with compressed air.
Air and propane do not mix well inside the cylinders and must be purged with LIQUID propane 4x-5x before filling with vapor.
Just filling with vapor will not purge the air out and then you will have issues with popping inside cylinders, regulators failing, propane flow issues etc.

This makes no sense. They don't fill the tanks with vapor. They fill with liquid. The liquid boils off at low temperatures (well below freezing), so filling and emptying the liquid 4-5 times wont' do much of anything. The first time full will eliminate the vast majority of the air and when you open the valve, the liquid propane vaporizing will push the air out.

The first fill and letting the air bleed out is the purge. If you are going thru 4-5 tanks of L (liquid) PG you are doing something wrong.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

If NEW then you need to make sure that they have been properly purged before 1st fill.

If they are not filled by the dealer, how does the dealer or the purchaser check out the systems that require propane? Stove, water heater, furnace, fridge, etc?

New tanks have to be purged correctly ONCE, then filled with propane by weight.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)