cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tanks

Tdmeme
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a new fifth wheel 2 months ago been in the shop for numerous things, they are telling me to leave propane tanks open for them to work correctly , the tanks don't empty out completely
7 REPLIES 7

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
Fyi
The regulator switches over when the "in service" tank dropes below 10psi.
usally thats empty but in cases of hi demand you could draw the tank down below 10psi but still have a couple gallons left. once it warms back up you could use it out.
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tdmeme wrote:
Purchased a new fifth wheel 2 months ago been in the shop for numerous things, they are telling me to leave propane tanks open for them to work correctly , the tanks don't empty out completely

What do mean "Don't empty out completely" takes 6.9 gals to fill or way less? If the regulator is set to the only open tank it should take 7.0, if the filling equipment is working correctly.
I leave both open and always get 7.0+ in the empty tank.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
faulty regulator, that's the problem for sure
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
I keep both open and the "empty" one takes 7.1 to 7.2 every time.
Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 2 propane 'cylinders' (tanks are permanently mounted) with an auto changeover regulator.

I NEVER have both valved in.....just the way I do it.

In service tank will empty cause when I go fill it it takes 7.2 to 7.5 gallons to refill. (30# cylinder---4.2#/gallon)

I personally think dealership is blowing smoke and has given you a 'band-aid' fix for a faulty regulator.
How 'not empty' are your cylinders when you refill?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
There will always be a little left in the tank. The cutover valve senses the pressure drop JUST BEFORE the tank goes empty and switches to the full tank.

If the first tank were allowed to go completely dry, such things as pilot lights would go out and/or air would be picked up in the system which might cause misfire on the HW or heater.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If one tank one wont empty out easily perhaps your tank selectors automatic switch over doesn't work right. (You do have to keep both tanks fully open for it to work.)