cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q about price! New 5th wheel owner!

louisianamom
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone! My husband and I are in the process of buying our first fifth wheel. We are aware these things have a pretty high mark up. I am wondering if this would be considered a "good deal" before we move forward. It is a 2015 a Open Range 3x 388RKS 5th wheel. Priced at $83,200, they are offering $59,000 without tax. This price includes washer and dryer, installation of washer and dryer, them moving it and setting it up for us 20 miles to the RV park we are stationed at. I thought this was a good deal when we left because she said the washer/dryer/installation is about $2000, so I figured we were basically getting it for $57,000. I did some research and I saw where you shouldn't walk out without at least 35-45% off. This is only about 31% off. Please fellow 5th wheelers, give me your insight and honesty! This is a totally NEW world for us!
22 REPLIES 22

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
hitchup wrote:
It really depends on the dealer. Getting 35-45% off on brand-new is rare. That's more likely for one that is last year's or older models. Even then, the dealer has to make a profit.

We traded a barely used 10 mo old 40' Open Road and the dealer resold it for what they gave us in trade - $35k. That was about 63% off the original MSRP.

To me, the interest rate is more important. You can save thousands there.

I have never bought a new fifth wheel but have often wondered how much the mark up typically is. I would have guessed that the msrp is close to double what the dealer pays for the trailer.

Anyway the list price of your OpenRange was 94,600? What did you pay for it? What was the list price on the Mobile Suite and how much did you end up paying for it?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can show them the numbers...but some folks just want to believe. Where are people like that when I have something to sell??

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
PegLW wrote:

But, I'm sure you guys don't want to believe any of that and I really don't care.

I'm done here.

I'll leave it to you "experts" who know everything about all rigs, regardless of any first hand knowledge or actual experience.

Not only that, he's taking his ball, bat and mitt - and gong to tell Mommy about how bad he was treated on the forum "field".

Don't let the door hit you in the elbow, ROTFL..:R

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know anything about the insulation in the Open Range. However, I have a new Mobile Suites on order and it is coming with a washer and dryer. I chose the Whirlpool or I could have had the Maytag. The quotes from all the dealers I got bids from was $1500.00. That is just a point of comparison for you. Also when I buy a veh. or rv I go for out the door price. That is the price of the unit and all taxes and fees. Set the price you will pay and stick to it. The dealer will keep dealing until he or she says no. Until then the deal is still alive. Also don't be afraid to check other dealers.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

PegLW
Explorer
Explorer
Think what you want. Open Range trailers also have R-14 batten insulation and Block Foam insulation, one of the best insulating materials available in addition to the their R-38 radiant insulation. We also have the dual pane windows and have no problem keeping our entire 35' trailer at 72 degrees even when the temps are extremely cold. There have been owner reports on the forum of people doing just fine in temps below zero. One member spent this past winter in northern Ohio in his trailer with no problem.

But, I'm sure you guys don't want to believe any of that and I really don't care. I'm done here. I'll leave it to you "experts" who know everything about all rigs, regardless of any first hand knowledge or actual experience.
Dave and Peggy
2012 Open Range 345RLS
2015 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L turbo

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
3 times the insulation of all the others my eye! Salesmen really roped you in. R-14 with some aluminum foil insulation in the ceiling is about 1/2 what real well insulated trailers have. Same goes for the r-7 walls. Stay in it for a month in below freezing temps and see what your propane bill is. That will tell the REAL story..B.O.
==================================

The aluminum foil insulation that many RV Mfgr's rave about is almost useless in Rv's. You must have a MINUMUM of 1 inch of dead space (air) next to the foil before it even starts insulating.
R24's- R28"s-- get real.
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
PegLW wrote:
It's obvious all these people saying they wouldn't stay in this rig in winter aren't aware of how it's being made. This is a brand new this year model and the 3X indicates 3 times the thermal barrier anything else available. We've spent several nights in our Open Range in near zero temps and stayed toasty warm. They are very well insulated.

Check out the owners forum to see what actual owners are saying. Open Range Owners Forum

Open Range 3X Construction
3 times the insulation of all the others my eye! Salesmen really roped you in. R-14 with some aluminum foil insulation in the ceiling is about 1/2 what real well insulated trailers have. Same goes for the r-7 walls. Stay in it for a month in below freezing temps and see what your propane bill is. That will tell the REAL story..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

PegLW
Explorer
Explorer
It's obvious all these people saying they wouldn't stay in this rig in winter aren't aware of how it's being made. This is a brand new this year model and the 3X indicates 3 times the thermal barrier anything else available. We've spent several nights in our Open Range in near zero temps and stayed toasty warm. They are very well insulated.

Check out the owners forum to see what actual owners are saying. Open Range Owners Forum

Open Range 3X Construction
Dave and Peggy
2012 Open Range 345RLS
2015 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L turbo

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for an apartment!

I could never full time here in Colorado. Weeks of sub zero weather not no mention hassles with condensation and frost, etc. My uncle tried in a Newmar MH and after one year had to replace window frames and trim.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
I would certainly not spend the winter in Colorado in an Open Range. You really need to be looking at a Mobile or Elite Suites (DRV), or an Excel which are better insulated.

As for % off MSRP, normally 30% is pretty much the limit for a current model year (2015). For a left over 2014, you should be able to do a bit better.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever the price, get dual panes and extra insulation. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Gives you a little more information of approximately what dealer has in it. ----->

See Dealer Cost

Good Luck,
Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife's best line when we we buying her car, and the fiver was after we gave them a lower price than their best deal!
Salesman. Are you going to keep $xxxx from you buying this?

Wife's response, are YOU going to keep $xxxx from YOU selling this?

Worked both times!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
I would offer $55 and if they say no then would walk out. They probably won't let you get far before the take it or come back with a counter offer. If you don't feel like pushing them then that is OK too because you are getting a good price and you will be fine in the long run.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)