cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Mor/Ryde RPB Pin Box

billy79
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be ordering out fifth wheel in about the next month (hopefully). We plan on going full-time in it next spring, so we will definitely be using it a lot.

I plan on getting the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch. I know that is a hotly debated item, so I am not trying to stir that can of worms up.

I have read that towing with that hitch is very smooth due to the nature of the socket and ball design.

The fifth wheel we want to order offers the Mor/Ryde RPB Pin Box as an option. Before I decided to go with the Andersen 5th Wheel hitch I figured I would order that. But now that we are going to go with the Andersen, I am thinking it may make sense to save my money and not order the Mor/Ryde. The option cost is about the same as I could buy it for on Amazon, so I figure if down the road I wish I had purchased it I could always order it and swap it out later.

I was hoping to hear from those familiar with both the Andersen and the Mor/Ryde on their thoughts.
30 REPLIES 30

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Passin' Through wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Wood chip wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Wood chip wrote:
Does anybody have knoweledge if the rubber spring thickness / the fabrication of the pinbox changes the height compared to the OEM Lippert pinbox as it sits on the hitch. Im thinking about buying this pinbox but not if it changes the nose height of the trailer. I have no more room for adjustment as it is.

It shouldn't but you may want to confirm with MorRyde. You need to know the model number of your original Pinbox as the MorRydes are designed to replace specific models.

Yes I do have the info. Lippert long extended 1716. MOrRyde has the replacement for this Lippert Model but was just really hoping that it installs at the same height.

I would think/hope it matches up at the same height but like I said you probably want to contact MorRyde to confirm.

Your install height will be exactly
the same. I replaced our Lippert 1716 pinbox with the MorRyde equivalent and couldn't be much happier. I still have the 1716 and just now compared measurements from the face of the kingpin plate to the centerline of the lower bolt holes on both pinboxes. The measurements are identical. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the confirmation of fit. I feel more comfortable ordering this now .
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Wood chip wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Wood chip wrote:
Does anybody have knoweledge if the rubber spring thickness / the fabrication of the pinbox changes the height compared to the OEM Lippert pinbox as it sits on the hitch. Im thinking about buying this pinbox but not if it changes the nose height of the trailer. I have no more room for adjustment as it is.

It shouldn't but you may want to confirm with MorRyde. You need to know the model number of your original Pinbox as the MorRydes are designed to replace specific models.

Yes I do have the info. Lippert long extended 1716. MOrRyde has the replacement for this Lippert Model but was just really hoping that it installs at the same height.

I would think/hope it matches up at the same height but like I said you probably want to contact MorRyde to confirm.

Your install height will be exactly
the same. I replaced our Lippert 1716 pinbox with the MorRyde equivalent and couldn't be much happier. I still have the 1716 and just now compared measurements from the face of the kingpin plate to the centerline of the lower bolt holes on both pinboxes. The measurements are identical. Hope this helps.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Take it from people that own the Andersen, you are going to LOVE it. Smooth as can be, dead simple to hookup, and you dont have to worry about test pulls and dropping your trailer on your bed. Also its a greaseLess connection so no mess. I store mine in my 5ers "basement". Always have a clean bed when not pulling...its a real nice system.

As for the MorRyde I dont have experience with that pin box. I have the std LCI box and its works great with the Andersen. Because there is no play in the hitch, I have no slop in my setup, no bucking, nothing, perfectly smooth. I cant imagine a better connection. If it were me Id save the money and skip the morryde. The Andersen hitch will smooth things out greatly. Like you said you can always add it later.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Wood chip wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Wood chip wrote:

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Explorer
Explorer
I have a big sky with Mor Ryde pin box on our rig and Mor/Ryde IS suspension system. have a Curt 24K in the box in a ford F250 and don't hardly feel the fw.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ralphnjoann wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The andersen has nothing to do with how the RV rides. I am sure it is no different then a B&W. Now some other hitches have slop and you will notice that stopping and starting.

Light weight RV's may be fine with an Andersen but they rely on the bed to support the hitch and a heavy RV IMHO is not a good choice for a Andersen. Also you won't be able to tow another 5er unless it is equipped with a Andersen kingpin.

Does not look like you can lock the ball to the socket. I lock everything!
My Andersen attaches to the same rails my previous hitch used. The rails are attached through the bed and to brackets with grade 5 bolts. The brackets are welded to the frame. Since the Andersen is rated at 20k, I don't think "light weight" is a concern. The attachment that modifies the kingpin can easily be removed and installed on another trailer.

This has been explained to him on numerous occasions , and he persists on the negative on something he has absolutely no knowledge of.

Over on a Cummins forum there are guys towing big toy haulers with the Andersen with no issues. If the time ever comes it will be an Andersen hitch for me.

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Wood chip wrote:

2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Wood chip wrote:

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The andersen has nothing to do with how the RV rides. I am sure it is no different then a B&W. Now some other hitches have slop and you will notice that stopping and starting.

Light weight RV's may be fine with an Andersen but they rely on the bed to support the hitch and a heavy RV IMHO is not a good choice for a Andersen. Also you won't be able to tow another 5er unless it is equipped with a Andersen kingpin.

Does not look like you can lock the ball to the socket. I lock everything!
My Andersen attaches to the same rails my previous hitch used. The rails are attached through the bed and to brackets with grade 5 bolts. The brackets are welded to the frame. Since the Andersen is rated at 20k, I don't think "light weight" is a concern. The attachment that modifies the kingpin can easily be removed and installed on another trailer.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help with your hitch choice but have had a Morryde Pinbox for about a year. I put it on the same time I had a Pullrite Superglide installed. For the Pinbox I do believe it has helped with the ride, I'm still a bit nose high which I'll deal with this year. I have had a few time I believe I felt the Pinbox cushion with staring up or stopping. If I were thinking things through as you are I might first try with the Anderson hitch, then see how things are from there. Good luck!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
The Andersen gives a smooth ride because there is no slop in a couple/ball setup like you get with some hitches. Due to the very tight coupling between the two a lot of what I would call jolting gets transferred to the TV. In this case MorRyde Pinbox would work great and is also on my list of future upgrades. There are no issues attaching the Andersen coupler to the MorRyde and you can actually see Andersen is using that pinbox in some of their YouTube videos.

Booneyrat
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Andersen Hitch installed since I already had a B&W turnover ball.I recently pulled a HitchHiker fifth wheel from Iowa to Wyoming with this setup,using only the OEM Lippert pin box,and felt no chucking whatsoever.The trailer weighs 11000# so the Andersen handled it no problem,unlike some others I have used in the past that were prone to not locking.I have no doubt the various "companion" type fifth wheel hitches are good,but I really dont like the 270# slider hitch,when the Andersen weighs in at around 70#. Allows the DW to carry more pots and pans.I have seen transport drivers using these Andersen hitches to transport fifth wheels to dealers out West,so must be something to them.

billy79
Explorer
Explorer
Tim F. wrote:
Well I have a Andersen hitch and pull a Arctic Fox that is on the heavy side, I had a slider then a standed 5 wheel Rees 16000 . I love the Andersen, I can take it out and put it back in with ease, no rails in the bed of my truck. There is NO sounds that come from it like your bed is going to fall a part. When people talk about things they DONT have and tell you why they would not buy one, Well I have one and like it, I had a Rees and did not like it, I had a slider and did not like it.i went through 3 hatches before I got the Andersen hehehe A lot of money down the drain. Buy what you want. I well not tell you what to buy. I like my Andersen

Thanks for the feedback. We are actually going to be getting an Arctic Fox (most likely the 29-5k).