cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions on costs

Pdogii
Explorer
Explorer
How would you compare the costs of ownership between a motor home and a fifth wheel/pick up combo? I'm interested in maintenance. Barring the driveline differences are equally equipped coach and trailer costs the same? 

Considering driveline maintenance, my perception (based on doing my own suspension lube, filter and fluid changes) is that a diesel pick up would cost less than a class A 
To maintain. Is this accurate? 
16 REPLIES 16

Papasmurf10
Explorer
Explorer
My thought is repair cost for a pusher would be significantly higher, plus when your pusher goes into the shop so does your bedroom, living room and kitchen. In addition I can find a Ford dealer to work on my truck just about anywhere but it would be more difficult to find a good mechanic for the class A.
2008 Ford F-350 Laredo
2009 Montana 1465

Pdogii
Explorer
Explorer
I posted in the Class A section too. The information is roughly the same. I'm not sure how insurance costs compare though... I'll check with my agent to get his thoughts. We are looking at the variables the threads have uncovered, and focusing on floor plan, costs, safety, and the lifestyle.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I believe your perception is correct. Not having ever owned a MH but I have owned pick ups, I would think it's easier/more affordable to maintain a pick up. I would think just maintaining a MH would be more involved as there are way more places to take a truck to than a MH, I'm just saying.....

Like others have suggested, go over the motor home side and ask those boys.

Dan

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Ask the same question on the Class A forum 😄
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
wrgrs50s wrote:
Other than considering cost, you might consider how you plan on using your rig. It always cost more to change your mind after the fact.

With a Motorhome,while traveling long distances,you can pull over and make some dinner, use the restroom relax a while never leaving the coach with the ac or heat running on a rainy or miserably cold day. Same with arriving at your final destination. Convenience is the key here.

However if you plan on traveling less, and staying put for long periods, a 5r and truck is the way to go. Especially if you have another use for the tow rig.

I would much rather have the motorhome option but my particular use fits a fiver better for the time being. Therefore the cost of maintenace and such dont matter. No matter which you choose, Rving is expensive.

Have to agree, better to decide which works best for an intended lifestyle, than cost or safety. Then figure out how much of that lifestyle you can afford.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pdogii wrote:

I've seen the remnants of a flipped TT/pickup and a destroyed class A...neither was pretty. I believe a pickup is safer than a motorhome but am not so sure when an additional 15k follows it into a tree or other traffic. What do you folks think about the accidents and risks to the occupants?

There will be a lot more weight behind the driver's seat with a MH and a lot more flying projectiles.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Pdogii wrote:
What do you folks think about the accidents and risks to the occupants?

Look at the distance from you to the scene of the accident and what's in that distance to absorb the energy from the collision. A modern pickup is designed with air bags, crush zones, rollover protection, etc. under the auspices of NHTSA Federal motor vehicle standards. A Class A isn't.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Pdogii
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Then there is the question of how fast does a class A depreciate vs a 5er & truck? How much does insurance cost between the 2, not forgetting to include the toad?

You must be trading my mind. Which rv type keeps a larger percent of the purchase value over time? As far as insurance goes, which set up is cheaper?

I've seen the remnants of a flipped TT/pickup and a destroyed class A...neither was pretty. I believe a pickup is safer than a motorhome but am not so sure when an additional 15k follows it into a tree or other traffic. What do you folks think about the accidents and risks to the occupants?

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Other than considering cost, you might consider how you plan on using your rig. It always cost more to change your mind after the fact.

With a Motorhome,while traveling long distances,you can pull over and make some dinner, use the restroom relax a while never leaving the coach with the ac or heat running on a rainy or miserably cold day. Same with arriving at your final destination. Convenience is the key here.

However if you plan on traveling less, and staying put for long periods, a 5r and truck is the way to go. Especially if you have another use for the tow rig.

I would much rather have the motorhome option but my particular use fits a fiver better for the time being. Therefore the cost of maintenace and such dont matter. No matter which you choose, Rving is expensive.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then there is the question of how fast does a class A depreciate vs a 5er & truck? How much does insurance cost between the 2, not forgetting to include the toad?

Some of those class As sure are purdy but the view is about the same no matter what you drive.

Another cost might be your life. With the class A you sit there with inches between your toes & whatever you may run into. With a truck you are sitting in a cab which is designed to stay in shape while the front of the the vehicle destructs absorbing the impact.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Pdogii
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
See, I much preferr driving my long bed dually to my wifes car any day of the week.

We currently own a 2006 Chevy 3/4 ton duramax. I would sell and buy or trade up to a short box dually diesel. Max gross on the candidate trailers is 15-16k.

Pdogii
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at 37-39 foot 5vers and similar size v-10 and dps class as. The tow vehicle would be a Dually 3500.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to factor the toad maintenance into the calculation. You will be maintaining two vehicles not one. If you don't use a toad then everytime you want a bottle of milk or whatever you'll have to unhook, go get it, and hookup nd level again once you are back at the CG. And parking a pickup is a lot easier than parking a Class A
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
If they both are running the same engine, a V-10 say, I would not expect any real difference in cost.

You may want to be specific on what models you are considering.

I think you need to specify what size you are talking about. A 40 plus ft Diesel Class A with all the bells and whistles or a small Trek with a 454 V8. Just as a triple axle 5er cost more for axle service than a double axle and a Diesel engine cost more to service than a gas engine.

I believe a CLass A generally requires facility set up to handle large vehicles while the pick-up does not. However, for the DIY inclined I suspect you can change the oil, filters, etc on either in a convenient driveway if you are so inclined.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat