cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Laminated Aluminum Floor" Definition?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Stopped to pick up a tube of lap sealant and dear wife said let's look at that 5er the dealer had parked next to the door.

Not sure that I want to sink the money into a new rig but I told her I would look into it. Everything I see regarding the layout, I really like. It's got some nice added features. She has me half thinking about it.

But in looking at the specs, it says it has a "Laminated Aluminum Floor". I think I know what it means but I can't find any source that provides specifications or details to confirm.

I believe it just means they use aluminum tubes as stringers to support a thin plywood sandwich with a foam core...which wouldn't be my preferred design.

I can't find anything on the forest river or other official sites that provides details. Does anyone have a link to actual (not hearsay) info?

Look under "construction" in the below website:
https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/impression/235RW/7851
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV
9 REPLIES 9

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
The top layer in a Forest River laminated floor is 8mm Luan plywood and is sourced from China. Its roughly 5/16" thick. The foam and aluminum tube in the middle of the sandwich are 1-1/2". The bottom layer of luan plywood is 3mm thick, roughly 1/8".

Those floors are great until they're not. They tend to fail at high travel / traffic areas. At the entrance door, in front of the sink, in the bathrooms. The foam compresses and the adhesives fail. If the owner/users are of great bulk, good luck.

Some Forest River brands / divisions stopped using the laminated floors altogether, an example is Rockwood/Flagstaff. They switched to 5/8 tongue and groove plywood floors (not OSB) mid way through the 2017 model year. Laminated floors are garbage.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Awesome!!!

That showed exactly what I was looking for.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like the top is plywood, then foam, and lauan with welded aluminum framing.

They show the floor in this video, but all they say is plywood top. They don't say how thick it is looks like 3/8" thickness.

Impression factory tour.
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thermoguy wrote:
I have a horse trailer with an aluminum floor - its great. No worries about water, corrosion, breakdown or anything. Would be good if they did that on a 5th wheel.

That would be nice or actual marine grade plywood (and before anyone poo poos it, the real stuff can sit outside for 15-20yrs and still be good as new. Medium size road signs are made of the stuff and the maintenance guys snag it rather than putting it in the dumpster because there is nothing wrong with it.).

Unfortunately, on checking with the dealer, it is what I thought though they couldn't provide any specifics...aluminum joists with moisture barrier, thin sheet of plywood, foam and 2nd thin sheet of plywood.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
This is an older video, but the process is probably still relevant:

Laminate Flooring

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a horse trailer with an aluminum floor - its great. No worries about water, corrosion, breakdown or anything. Would be good if they did that on a 5th wheel.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
BB_TX wrote:
Their web site construction information states it has “Laminated Aluminum Front Wall, Laminated Aluminum Sidewalls, Laminated Aluminum Slide Boxes, and Laminated Aluminum Floor”. So I would read that as all those have aluminum framing with the various materials bonded to that framing.

But how is it put together...that's what I'm asking about.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Their web site construction information states it has “Laminated Aluminum Front Wall, Laminated Aluminum Sidewalls, Laminated Aluminum Slide Boxes, and Laminated Aluminum Floor”. So I would read that as all those have aluminum framing with the various materials bonded to that framing.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure. I find that Forest River does an awful job of explaining the construction details. That leaves me feeling concerned...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS