cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiator style radiant heaters

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi, I would like to ask about the electric radiator style radiant heaters. We are going to do some fall camping this year at some higher altitudes and don't want to use the propane heater, too much. We have a 5th wheel that we will use and didn't know if using that style of heater would work well for us. At night we would probably take it to the bedrooml to use it due to it being a smaller area. Would like to kow the pro's and con's of that style of heater please. May post this in the tech area too but thought I would start here due it us owning the fiver.
Thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
15 REPLIES 15

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks again for your help!!
Curly

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I have two compact 700w that I space out in the camper along with a 350w outlet heater in the bathroom. My rig is small (26' box with one slide) but it keeps me pretty comfy. And if that doesn't work, I can always run an extension cord from the pedestal for an additional space heater.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We have a DeLonghi Solaris. Its small size allows me to easily to store it in my basement and bring it in when we need it. It will only raise the temperature maybe 20 degrees and is enough to take the chill off, yet sleep comfortably. Not sufficient for only-source heat. 2 nights ago, it got down to 42 outside and our trailer with a lot of windows was at 64 when I got up. Safe and quiet, we give it no thought. I wouldn't have a heater with a red-hot element and a fan. I'm confident it will last longer than I will.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
We have a couple we use at home but have taken one with us in the FW, on occasion. We also have a small decorative fireplace/heater that we use, too.

One thing to remember is that you still need to keep the furnace going in really cold temps to keep the basement warm. Also, it helps to keep cabinets open under sinks to keep the pipe under there warm. Using a low-speed fan to circulate the warm air from the heater really helps with this.

Over the years, I read about a few people who use an electric heater only, then put a fan on the return air to circulate air into the basement =without= using the furnace.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I love my oil filled heaters.

I mostly use them on the low setting.

Make sure the wall connection is not one of the 'stab' connector types.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
Keep in mind that they dont put out any more or less heat than any other space heater of the same wattage.

Correct but their advantage is not output.
Quiet silent operation is what set's them a part.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't like the one I got. The only good thing about it is the dog can touch it and not get burnt. I much prefer my LP fireplace. I heat the whole 40ft bus with it. Also the fireplace still works when the electric inevitably goes out.

For winter, I have an electric dual control heated mattress pad (sleep on top of the pad) and my top cover is a 0F sleeping bag, opened flat (slipped inside a "full" sized duvet cover to keep it free of muddy paw prints).

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Keep in mind that they dont put out any more or less heat than any other space heater of the same wattage.

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
We wintered in our 40' fifth wheel down to -7* only using 2 DeLonghi oil filled heaters
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all for your responses. I really appreciate them. It will be on my shopping list.
Curly

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 1200 watt DeLonghi I got at Costco many years ago. I only bring it if temps are going to be lower than 40F and we will have hookups. I mostly run it full time to supplement the furnace to reduce propane run time. Has a thermostat to cycle the heat so it runs intermittent in the day and flat out below freezing overnight.

Actually have not done much cold weather camping lately. Does supplement heat nicely when used. Adjust as needed.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours in a 30' class C. Just set it on a low temp and it keeps the MH just the right temp for sleeping. Michelle S. is right, it takes a while to heat up but it works great after that. We haven't used it in extreme cold-high 30s-low 40s.
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before be sold the Sticks'n'Bricks we had three of them. They take a while to heat up, but once going they put our a lot of heat and will continue to heat after being turned off. Unless you're planning on fall camping in the Artic I thing it would do a good job if you keep shades down to limit heat loss from windows.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint