cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rain Water Leak Diagnosis

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
In the course of my 2008 Sandstorm remodel, I started removing the vinyl floor yesterday. I found the pictured water damage (which was very wet from a good rain the night before). The water content was most dense nearest the ramp door. I have never noticed any water on the vinyl floor in this area and was completely unaware of the leak. This makes me think its possibly running down inside the wall. Anyone have any experience or insights to offer before I start tearing things apart?
8 REPLIES 8

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
You would be surprised how the water can leak past the door seal, slip under the aluminum strip and work under the flooring then spread through the particle board in the flooring. If you are doing a remodel I recommend pulling every window and replacing the sealing as the factories do a poor job. Also check the bottom of outdoor speakers to ensure they have not rotted out allowing water in. All lights need resealed on the outside just like the windows.

I had the same general damage to the floor in the back corners of my unit. After replacing the flooring when I reinstalled the flooring I caulked the entire back and edges making it water tight on top. I haven't felt any soft flooring since then. I also had every event I spoke of in the first paragraph.

Good luck with your remodel!

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
That looks very much like the damage I had to repair this last summer. My problem was caused by the poor sealing done around the vent flashing on the outside. There was no sealant around the top part of the flashing and water would come in, run down the wall and soak the wood. You couldn't tell a thing was wrong until the floor was gone. No stain, no swelling. The wall below the vent also had to be replaced. That was a real pain.

Thank you for your insights. And for anyone keeping score: I took out an electrical plug in that wall - directly above the damage - to get a look inside that wall. No signs of water in the wall and the insulation was completely dry. Diagnosis continues....

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
That looks very much like the damage I had to repair this last summer. My problem was caused by the poor sealing done around the vent flashing on the outside. There was no sealant around the top part of the flashing and water would come in, run down the wall and soak the wood. You couldn't tell a thing was wrong until the floor was gone. No stain, no swelling. The wall below the vent also had to be replaced. That was a real pain.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all! Input much appreciated!

bullmastifflove
Explorer
Explorer
We had damage pretty similar looking and it came in through an aged butyl seal around a hatch door and window. Once the hatch door and window were removed it was obvious they were the culprit of the leak. My husband was in a huffy mood and ripped through the luan board. We were not able to find a matching luan board so we had to paint the entire interior which was fine with me since I didn't like it in the first place. He used a multi dremel tool like this one for cutting out rotten wood. Dremel MM40-05 Multi-Max 3.8-Amp Oscillating Tool Kit with Quick-Lock Accessory Change Interface and...
2001 F350 7.3 PSD 4x4
2002 Thor Tahoe Transport 33TB
2004 2332 VW sandrail, 4 seat, long travel
1993 Grumman 14' fishing boat

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Sealtech clicky
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two words, Seal Test.

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another pic. Not pictured is an aluminum strip I removed prior to photographing that provided a finished edge over the vinyl and the black steel frame of the ramp door. I'm a little curious that water was leaking through the ramp door seal, under that aluminum strip, and then under the vinyl (thereby not visible on top of the vinyl)??