cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 1500

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
Well, no matter if we go with a TH or TT I'll be hauling it with my 2008 Ram 1500, 5.7, 3.92 gears, 6" lift with 35" tires.
I don't want to trade my truck for another truck just so I can tow something 2-3 times a year.
Anyone else tow with something like mine?

Experiences, thoughts?
14 REPLIES 14

Stevepro172
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all the other posts. I had a 2012 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and tow a livin lite 22' VRV that was 4100lbs dry and 7200lbs when fully loaded. The truck pulled it fine but I was out of payload has TH have a very high TW. I got a good deal on a 2013 Ram 2500 and couldn't be happier (except for the 8 mpg towing!)

Good luck.

_plit
Explorer
Explorer
i traded in my 2008 chevy 2500 that was lifted with 35's (never had an issue with my weight dist hitch) for a f450 dually and all it does is sit on my property and wait to pull my toyhauler... 🙂

Not sure about you being able to tow a TH with a seperate garage but you should be fine with a smaller ultralite TH TT, they are made for the 1500s...throw a couple dog kennels in the back and you should be good. good luck

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my bumper pull Desert Fox 21SW (No Garage, 7,000lbs dry 10,400 Max) with a Ram 2500. There is no way I would even attempt to pull it with a 1500. You definately need more truck if you want to tow a TH safely.

jack0351
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with gtsum. To get a TH with a seperate garage, I think you're going to need more truck than you have.
2013 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW 6.7 w/Aisin
2012 Dutchmen Voltage V3600 Toyhauler
2000 Harley FXST

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
good luck finding a toy hauler with what you want that the truck can tow. Payload capacity on a Ram 1500 is terrible (I had a 2013 Ram 1500 with 1061lbs capacity). I traded mine in on a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins...I suggest you do similar if you really want a TH
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and I do have airbags otherwise it will squat in the back. Along with trailer weight distribution system and a anti sway bar. These items are a must.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer

Y-Guy
I'd need to know your tow ratings for the truck, but you're going to be hard pressed to find what you are looking for with a separate garage and within your truck ratings. Most of the TT style haulers don't have a separate garage.

Here is an old thread that might help you out.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought of two more obstacles.

When you put that much weight on the large tires they are going to squat and cause a lot of drag. Even more than they usually do. If you don't already have one you would need a monster tranny cooler and I'd be surprised if you hit 5 mpg.

The other problem is a load distribution hitch. Usually TH's require these to balance the load between the axels and I don't believe I've ever seen a drop down LD hitch which would allow the trailer to ride close to level.

There are some really nice pop ups that your truck would be able to handle though, or maybe a light hybrid.
Big Brother is watching.

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 23 foot hybrid TH with a separate garage, about 6500-7k lbs with a stock '03 Tahoe Z71 and it does pretty well pulling through the Colorado rockies but it's not lifted.

When you lift it puts a lot of pressure on the suspension not to mention the drive shaft angles. These will be greatly exacerbated while pulling a trailer, especially something as heavy as a TH and I believe will essentially pull the truck apart.

Also the high center of gravity along with the extended suspension components and large, flimsy sidewalls of the 35s, coupled with a light duty truck will very likely cause a dangerous "tail wagging the dog" situation where the trailer takes control of the truck while side loaded as in a crosswind.

I'm usually the last one to say don't try it but I don't think it would be safe at all. Just my 2 cents based on my pulling the smallest TH I've ever seen with a separate garage with a Tahoe and a few years driving a semi.

Good luck
Big Brother is watching.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2007 RAM 1500 5.7 3.73 gears no lift 21 inch tires. I pull a small Attitude 19" ft Toy hauler Dry weight is 5800 loaded it's 7200. I don't think it could handle much more then that!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
We want the closed off garage so we can leave the dogs in there when we go places. A bumper pull.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Those 35's will kill your gearing. You either need some better tires or stick to a trailer that's well below your towing capacity.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably won't be a 5th wheel toyhauler. 🙂 What are you planning to haul or did you just want the space of a toyhauler? There's some pretty nice bumper pull toyhaulers, just not as much space.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"