cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Deck System Worth It?

ndanecker
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a GD 353g or 395m toy hauler and questioning if the rear deck system is worth the cost along with the sliding 3 season doors. Don't plan much boondocking so concerned about overall length in campsites and having enough space to keep the ramp door/patio open when parked. Considering it shouldn't be kept open during rain I'd probably keep the ramp door closed most of the time also so questioning if the 3 season doors are worth it also. Curious how others use this space and what their thoughts are. In theory I'm sure its a great place to hang but do people really use it, or is it more of a novelty that wears off after time? Space isn't that large either and we're family of 4 (not couples).
35 REPLIES 35

dedmiston
Huntindog wrote:
For a long time I had the same opinion about Smart phones as you do about Ramp patios. Then about 2 years ago, I finally got one. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You don't know, what you don't know.

Happy camping.

Welcome to the smart phone club. Now it's time to look into getting a ramp patio. 😉

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
We had the option to get the ramp/deck when we got our toyhauler, but decided we wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. And we were right.
How do you know?
Since you don't have it, you do not have the option to use it.

There are quite a few things in my life that I never thought I would like/use: Smart phones, heated mirrors. Heated seats, Heated steering wheel,air conditioned seats, his and hers climate control, fireplace,Lane departure warning... This is only a partial list and only for RVs, trucks(excepting the phone)... But there are many many more.
Heck I still remember black and white TV.... Did not miss color one bit....LOL.

As for the patio... I like it. We always boondock, no matter the weather. sometimes after bad weather clears, it is beautiful outside, but muddy. The patio affords us a mud free way to enjoy the outdoors. And the views can be spectacular
We don't boondock, and most of the places we stay simply wouldn't have enough room for another 8 feet of trailer added to our 40 foot length. And never once has the thought "I'd like to sit outside on our deck" ever come up. We just aren't the sit-around-outside type. If we had it, I can guarantee it would never be used.

For a long time I had the same opinion about Smart phones as you do about Ramp patios. Then about 2 years ago, I finally got one. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You don't know, what you don't know.

Happy camping.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
We had the option to get the ramp/deck when we got our toyhauler, but decided we wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. And we were right.
How do you know?

There are quite a few things in my life that I never thought I would like/use: Smart phones, heated mirrors. Heated seats, Heated steering wheel,air conditioned seats, his and hers climate control, fireplace,Lane departure warning... This is only a partial list and only for RVs, trucks(excepting the phone)... But there are many many more.

As for the patio... I like it. We always boondock, no matter the weather. sometimes after bad weather clears, it is beautiful outside, but muddy. The patio affords us a mud free way to enjoy the outdoors. And the views can be spectacular
We don't boondock, and most of the places we stay simply wouldn't have enough room for another 8 feet of trailer added to our 40 foot length. And never once has the thought "I'd like to sit outside on our deck" ever come up. We just aren't the sit-around-outside type. If we had it, I can guarantee it would never be used.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
How do you know?

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

nwcutie
Explorer
Explorer
We don't use our rear deck a lot, but when we do, we love it.

On our shorter riding trips, we leave the side rails at home. But on longer trips during nice weather, or trips that don't involve the quads, it's really nice to have.
Children are unpredictable. You never know how high up the wall they're going to drive you!

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins/ Aisin /bagged diesel dually
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355 TH
kids and quads - life is great

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
We have a XLR Toy Hauler with a screen that pulls down when the ramp is down. I thought it was a neat feature that we would use often. We have used it twice in 9 years. Most campsites are not deep enough to make it practical. I think you would find the same with a rear deck.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
ndanecker wrote:
I think the only time I'd be interested in using the deck if I could land a spot like this. They do a nice job walking through the 395ms also.

https://youtu.be/nYykdajXX3U?t=590

that guy is funny. nice video

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
this post is a very interesting read! my wife and i purchased a genesis supreme overnighter last year. it has a rear door and a rear deck but no ramp gate per say. the rear deck with the awning i installed is our favorite feature. we do use it quite a bit on every trip. now having said that, if i had a rear ramp that converted into a deck i probably would use it. those 3 season doors look very nice but the ones i looked at used brush like material on the top and bottom for seals sort of. that won't keep the bugs out and a screen wall is nice until you zip it up and down a number of times.

we just put a deposit down on a new toyhauler. the overnighter is a very easy to tow unit that works for most couples no doubt. our kids want to start joining us on our dune trips so we need more room. we were spoiled with the fifthwheel toyhauler we had before the overnighter as well. so this go around i ordered a custom toyhauler. 30' oal, 26" box with a custom floor plan and 7k lbs of ccc. now they offer side patio that only protrudes 6" inside so i still have plenty of room for my sand rail. the nice feature is we were able to order it with a standard 30" wide rv door and a 24"x48" tinted sliding window. this way we can lock it. it will seal the bugs out and still has a screen door for the nice parts of the days. we will enjoy this for sure and once i seal the ramp it will be left out unless it's just flat pouring rain. these 3 pics are not of ours. ours is still on the list to be built. we did not order the rear patio set and not sliding door. just a reference of the side patio. i have a screen wall enclosure that will attach to it as well. i ordered our with a rear reversable sofa that fold out into a res queen bed. i did so as they offered a ceiling mount tv system so the couch actually faces the tv!

ndanecker
Explorer
Explorer
I think the only time I'd be interested in using the deck if I could land a spot like this. They do a nice job walking through the 395ms also.

https://youtu.be/nYykdajXX3U?t=590

dedmiston
deltabravo wrote:
My logic on the deck kit is it's one more thing that would irritate the &*@^$ out of me when unloading or loading my toys. You'd have to set the mess up to get it out of the way so you could use the ramp as a ramp

That's 100% correct.

I take mine off and store it in the shed most of the time. I only bring it out when we're going to the beach.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
My logic on the deck kit is it's one more thing that would irritate the &*@^$ out of me when unloading or loading my toys. You'd have to set the mess up to get it out of the way so you could use the ramp as a ramp
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dedmiston
It's really nice to have, but we don't use it very often.

We've never used it on off-road trips, because the deserts are always windy and dusty (and usually cold when we camp).

The times we've used it at the beach though were amazing. Those beach times have totally made the hassle of the fence worth it. We don't keep the rails attached to the ramp, because they get in the way and they make the ramp so heavy.

One thing to be aware of is that the hardware can get in the way and snag on the frame. It sucks when the ramp won't open because it's stuck. I have to climb inside and push on the ramp to unhook it and get it open. Also, the hardware brackets that the rails attach to stick up and get in the way when you roll your toys down the ramp. I've bent two of the brackets and had to pound them back into shape.

Anyway, the patio rails are unbelievably amazing when you use them, and they're a pain in the butt the rest of the time. They're worth it, but not without a cost.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have the patio option as we bought used. We often keep the rear ramp down and close the screen. When we leave or weather changes we can close the ramp quickly.

If buying new, I'd get the option.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We bought off the lot and it had the deck option already...so no real choice.

We've only used it a couple of times but currently we are traveling by ourselves. For the most part, if we want to sit outside, we just put chairs out on the ground. I suppose if the site was muddy but no rain, it could be handy but so far, hasn't come up.

Come spring when we get back to Michigan, the situation may change.

We have friends with the side deck and they have it out all the time. They rarely are sitting on it but it's great when a group gets together for dinner. It basically gets used as a big buffet setup to put out all the food. Or when not being used for food, they let the dog hang out on it (rails up). Let's him be outside without messing about with leashes.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"